emotional eating

Options
Does anyone else have this problem?

what do you do against it?

Replies

• CourtneyLomonaco
    CourtneyLomonaco Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have been doing better lately, but it seems to me that once I start eating, I cannot stop. Lately, I have been upping my protein and lowering my carbs and that seems to be helping. I also exercise every day and drink tons of water. I try to not snack after dinner and have really been paying attention to my appearance. That said, a positive attitude goes a long way-people compliment you and then you feel better, and then less emotional eating. Hope this helps!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    It's a hard habit to break - but it's a habit.

I used to journal how I was feeling when I did that.

Then I started learning to take a walk instead. If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the solution.

Schedule your meals and pre-plan in the morning. Stick to your schedule. No snacking. Once I get started eating, I eat a few hundred calories so I had to stop the snacking unless I pre-planned it. Like a couple days a week I'll have dessert or popcorn after dinner, but the rest of the time I have my meals and don't snack.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Find other ways to deal with the emotions. A new hobby to distract you, exercise to deal with stress, adult coloring books, meditation...
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    mostly i don't keep my go to comfort foods in the house. because i don't want to make it or get it when i'm in that mood
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You might want to get a copy of Beck Diet Solution (a cognitive behavioral (CBT) approach to working on the behavioral aspects of weight loss) - here are articles on emotional eating:

https://beckdietsolution.wordpress.com/?s=emotional+eating
    http://diet.beckinstitute.org/category/emotional-eating/

Both of these sites provide great resources for using the CBT approach to weight loss. You may also find the mindful eating approach helpful in dealing with emotional eating:

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/diets/emotional-eating.htm
  • ayson9
    ayson9 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, I had to force myself to want it enough. When it came to being mad, sad, upset, stressed or frustrated and think about wanting to go to mcdonalds that’s 3 stores down from where I work or Starbucks which is right next door. (I work in the mall).

I think to myself, what do you want more, to be overweight again or continue to strive for progress? A simple question but I don’t simply just answer, i dive into it. Saying things to myself “that burger isn’t gonna get that body you want” “that frapucinno ain’t gonna get that body you want” it’s a pain, but you need to find ways to channel it into a better alternative rather than food.

Channel it through venting to a friend, or pushing harder in the gym. These alternatives aren’t ideal and not something you’re used to thinking as stress relief alternative, but you need to challenge yourself to develop this habit and have your body learn these habits as positives.

But it all comes down to this, that any goal you set your mind to, if you don’t reach it, you didn’t want it enough. Because if you wanted to reach thy goal as much as you needed to breathe, eating or bad habits would never be a permanent obstacle in your way.

Hope this helps,
  • mandiegold941
    mandiegold941 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am feeling the same way today and everyone's replies are really helpful.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    you can put out most fires with water, try a glassful whenever the urge to eat hits you. Great that you are recognizing the issue!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    This may sound dumb or simplistic, but recognizing that you're doing this is a really big thing toward controlling the problem.

I used to grab a mocha or latte or maybe even a between-meals cheeseburger when I was stressed at work. Every time. That meant several times a week at my previous stressful job. I really didn't make a connection. I knew on incredibly stressful work days I felt more of a desire to go out to dinner and I blamed it on being busy and not having time to cook. But that wasn't quite true most of the time. I was so stressed and/or upset that I craved anything to make me feel better temporarily and going out for sushi or getting a cocktail & mozzarella sticks would give me that feeling for a little cheaper than redecorating my bedroom...less stressful than trying on new clothes when I wore very large sizes...arguably healthier than turning to hard drugs. Still not a good idea. Don't get me wrong, I still dine out! But not every time something is stressful. I try to plan those outings for Saturday when possible and enjoy them and include other activities, not just food.

About 6 months ago, several years into counting my calories and maintaining a major loss, I ate a bunch of crème horns when I'd had a stressful evening dealing with my mom. I felt really weird about that especially because I've never had a binge eating issue. But it was definitely emotional eating. I don't cut anything 100% out of my diet and normally would have zero probs keeping it to a cup of coffee and ONE crème horn...but that night I ate three or four as I drove down the street. It was a big moment of "duh" for me about self-medicating with food and how it can still happen to me, even years after feeling I have this stuff pretty much on lock. That night I vowed that I wouldn't do that again. It made me feel awful and it was not at all satisfying.

Being honest with yourself and recognizing this stuff is major.
    Making habits that help you avoid emotional eating is major, too.
  • Mom2ACJC
    Mom2ACJC Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I too have been an emotional eater. It is learned behavior. Since September 2017, I have been journaling and becoming aware of the choices I am making. I have learned to replace emotional eating with healthier choices of food, as well as identifying why I am eating and choosing to process any negative thought processes. There have been some great articles on MFP lately. Sometimes there are certain foods we eat as well that trigger us wanting to eat more. Just last week we had a death in the family and I turned to chips for comfort. I realized what I had done and stopped and began journaling what I was thinking and feeling. I have not had a repeat since. Each day is a chance to make a different choice and choose a different direction toward a healthier you!