Need help! I am New and Struggling

I’m having trouble trying to figure out how to log in a homemade salad. I’m super tired of doing it item by item. Is there any easier way to log it as one whole salad with
Romaine/Iceberg Lettuce
Cucumber English
Radishes
Carrot Match Sticks
Roma Tomatoes
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated thank u so much

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    if you always eat the same thing in the same quantities, make a 'salad' recipe.

otherwise you need to log separate, but when everything's in your recent foods, it doesn't take long?
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    I made a salad recipe with my basic ingredients and then add on any extra interesting bits. Easy and quick to do on the recipe button.The variation in weight of the ingredients used daily is small and evens out over a week but every now and then I do a check weigh to make sure I haven't gone adrift
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    I agree with making a recipe for your basic salad and then adding on anything extra. You can also make use of the "copy" feature, if you have the same salad in the same quantities for several days, just click on "Tools" in your diary and choose "copy from" and then the date for the meal you want to replicate. I use the copy feature regularly.
  • Lucetius
    Lucetius Posts: 2 Member
    as mentioned above, you could create a recipe if everything is the same or just copy the meal over from a previous day. I eat salads every day. I just copy from a previous day and update the weight as I go. it's quick.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited May 2018
    Here's how I do it:

1. Put a bowl on my digital kitchen scale, tare it to zero.
    2. Add lettuce, record gram weight - either on a notepad or in MFP if I have my phone handy.
    3. Tare the scale to zero again, add & record other toppings one by one, taring between each item.
    4. Use a measuring spoon to add my dressing.

Voila!

No dishes dirtied aside from the bowl I'm eating my salad from. It's honestly super quick once you get used to it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    You can also save it as a Meal if you don't use the same amounts every time.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    toxikon wrote: »
    Here's how I do it:

2. Add lettuce, record gram weight - either on a notepad or in MFP if I have my phone handy.
    3. Tare the scale to zero again, add & record other toppings one by one, taring between each item.

Voila!

No dishes dirtied aside from the bowl I'm eating my salad from. It's honestly super quick once you get used to it.

But this doesn't help with having to log every ingredient, does it?
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    Here's how I do it:

Voila!

But this doesn't help with having to log every ingredient, does it?

True! But I find that doing it often enough makes it really second nature. If OP makes the salad the same way each time and doesn't mind minor discrepancies, the suggestions to just create a 'Meal' or 'Recipe' are definitely the best options. Or maybe a middle-ground - eyeballing the low-calorie ingredients and measuring the high-calorie ones?
  • grooveegirl
    grooveegirl Posts: 3 Member
    I agree with making a recipe for your basic salad and then adding on anything extra. You can also make use of the "copy" feature, if you have the same salad in the same quantities for several days, just click on "Tools" in your diary and choose "copy from" and then the date for the meal you want to replicate. I use the copy feature regularly.

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    If you are making your salad each day, it's easiest to save it as a meal, then adjust the quantities. I make mine in a big batch, saved as a recipe, and adjust that when I make the salad, then weigh and enter as a serving when I eat it.
  • grooveegirl
    grooveegirl Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you all so much you’ve all offered some really great ideas! I will definitely try the recipe idea and I do have a food scale copy is pretty cool too. I’m still just trying to figure out how to use this app lol lol but I’m already down like 9 lbs since I started but only managed to log on almost 4lbs on the app didn’t know how to do it lol. But thank u all again you’ve given me new motivation. Cheers!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    True! But I find that doing it often enough makes it really second nature. If OP makes the salad the same way each time and doesn't mind minor discrepancies, the suggestions to just create a 'Meal' or 'Recipe' are definitely the best options. Or maybe a middle-ground - eyeballing the low-calorie ingredients and measuring the high-calorie ones?

I am a middle grounder. In the past I have weighed enough to know what the low cal ingredients will be approximately and then I weigh the stuff I know can add up. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone new or anyone with a really tight number of calories.