Swelling Hands & Feet During Exercise....Help!

Options
Morning Everyone!

I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice on how to combat excessive swelling of my hands and feet during exercise? I'm not an olympian or doing anything super-athletic but I do go for an hour-long walk everyday and by the end of it my trainers are really tight and cutting of my circulation and my fingers are swollen so that I can't take my wedding off (which is normally easy).

I drink water while I'm out tromping round the parks but this is getting quite uncomfortable now as the swelling in my feet causes the shoes to rub massive blisters now and I look a bit special when I walk round waving my arms over my head to try and reduce the swelling fingers!!

Does anyone else have this and do you have any hints to combat it?

Many thanks & hope you all have a good day!

Replies

• hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Not sure what it is but I noticed my hands and feet really swelled up bad during a recent ultra marathon, even the next day they were swollen
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I know your feet swells during exercise thats why when sizing for shoes they advise you to get a 1/2-1 size larger than what you normally wear.

As for your hands, mine swells up once in a while not only from the heat, but at times form excess sodium. Just drink lots of water and watch your sodium intake
  • mikeyken
    mikeyken Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I keep having this problem too. And I am walking inside not in the heat, I drink LOTS of water and and take in very little sodium. I don't know what the problem is. As I have lost a little wt it has gotten a little better though.
  • NicolaJane1313
    Options
    Would love to know the answer to this question! Happened to my hands yesterday while walking and I don't have a high sodium intake and I drink 2ltrs water everyday.
  • SCPerezT82
    Options
    I think it is a very common thing, and not just during exercise. For example, the other day I wore flip flops to work, and that night, I could barely squeeze into my wedges. It's just common, especially during exercise. When walking, if your hands are down by your side, the blood will also rush down to your hands. I usually try to keep my arms at a perpendicular position so that my forearms and hands are parallel to the ground; this usually helps a little.