Sequence for legs and buttocks (ladies)

Options
Hi there,

Can anyone recommend a well put together set of leg/butt/outer upper thigh exercises that is effective if followed consistently? Having about 4 kilos left to lose (of about 10), I feel it's time make a dedicated effort to address what I refer to as my 'problem area'.
I don't have a gym membership so it needs to be the type of routine one can do at home. Advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    There is a book called Strong Curves - A Woman's Guide to building a better butt.
    There is a section on if you want to do it at home, but you still need some equipment.

I did it for about 8 weeks, but didn't have what I needed for weeks 9-12. I then switched to a workout plan by Betina Gozo that I bought from Women's Health magazine. It doesn't just focus on the butt ... it's whole body. I am on week 12 and I loved the plan... excellent. I modified a few of the exercises when I didn't have the right equipment at home. I don't want it to end! I love the plan so much. I can see big differences all over from it.
    Good luck!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Well, my lower-body strength training regime consists of

3 sets of front squats with dumbbells (currently 2x8reps, 1x12reps with a pair of 20s, but I started off with a pair of 3s eons ago.)

3 sets of side squats on a cardio step with dumbbells (same # of reps, same weight)

3 sets of forward lunges with dumbbells (currently 2x12reps with a pair of 15s, 1x8reps with a pair of 17.5s. Started out just doing it as a bodyweight exercise.)

3 sets of bent leg raises with ankle weights (currently 1 set of 8 reps, 2 sets of 12, with 9lb weights. Do all reps on one side, then change legs to complete the set.)

Note that you can't spot-reduce, but strengthening the muscle may help your overall shape.

And your starting weights may be higher or lower than mine were initially; I'd say that the exercises work for me, but I've been progressively increasing my load for over a year. I was a total newb when I began and the first couple of weeks were really a chance to get my form right before I hurt myself.
  • girlreadingbook
    girlreadingbook Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    There is a book called Strong Curves - A Woman's Guide to building a better butt.
    There is a section on if you want to do it at home, but you still need some equipment.

I did it for about 8 weeks, but didn't have what I needed for weeks 9-12. I then switched to a workout plan by Betina Gozo that I bought from Women's Health magazine. It doesn't just focus on the butt ... it's whole body. I am on week 12 and I loved the plan... excellent. I modified a few of the exercises when I didn't have the right equipment at home. I don't want it to end! I love the plan so much. I can see big differences all over from it.
    Good luck!

Great, thank you so much. I will look into both Strong Curves and especially Betina Gozo. Pleased that you are happy with the results! :-)
  • girlreadingbook
    Options
    Well, my lower-body strength training regime consists of

3 sets of front squats with dumbbells (currently 2x8reps, 1x12reps with a pair of 20s, but I started off with a pair of 3s eons ago.)

3 sets of side squats on a cardio step with dumbbells (same # of reps, same weight)

3 sets of forward lunges with dumbbells (currently 2x12reps with a pair of 15s, 1x8reps with a pair of 17.5s. Started out just doing it as a bodyweight exercise.)

3 sets of bent leg raises with ankle weights (currently 1 set of 8 reps, 2 sets of 12, with 9lb weights. Do all reps on one side, then change legs to complete the set.)

Note that you can't spot-reduce, but strengthening the muscle may help your overall shape.

And your starting weights may be higher or lower than mine were initially; I'd say that the exercises work for me, but I've been progressively increasing my load for over a year. I was a total newb when I began and the first couple of weeks were really a chance to get my form right before I hurt myself.

Thank you! I will have to look up what a side squat looks like, but I understand the rest. I am aware that 'spot reduction' on its own does not really work. I would agree that focusing on form is most important in the beginning.
  • girlreadingbook
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Another vote for Strong Curves, there is an at home program you can do. Also as mentioned you cannot spot reduce, so working on your problem areas won't make them disappear faster, but you can maintain what you have and perhaps shape the area as you lose weight.

Yep, noted, thank you! :-)
  • ChelsFetherman
    ChelsFetherman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Check out Jazmin Gonzalez on YouTube. Her HIIT video and butt and leg workout videos are BOMB. I’ve been following them for a few months and definitely have noticed a change in my lower body. She also shows some glute activation that I think helped me a lot!
  • skylarleeanne
    skylarleeanne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love YouTube videos just because I’m awful at putting my own workouts together, and they’re free. I recommend Whitney Simmons’ workouts for legs and glutes. She is amazing and there’s something for everybody on her channel. She also has plenty of workouts you can do at home, as well as dumbbell/resistance band only routines.
  • 4rtistry
    4rtistry Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    https://darebee.com/workouts/booty-builder-workout.html

This is a great little bodyweight workout that I've been using lately (recovering from a bone graft, so I'm hesitant to push things with weights). Weight training will give you the best results, but if you can't do that right now for whatever reason, you can still accomplish a lot with bodyweight. And it's free!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Lifting is great, but if you don't have the equipment now, PiYo is good for strengthening the legs.