Discouraged

Options
Hello, I'm a 33 yr old looking to she'd 40lbs. I've been dieting for a month and have only lost 4lbs! I work out 6 days a week. While I've noticed I've lost 2inches off my waist. I want my scale to go down!!!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Just keep with the program and have patience.
  • Lutielu
    Lutielu Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hey that’s still a pound a week! Don’t get discouraged, you want sustainable weight loss, not just a quick dip on the scales for summer. Could be you’re putting on muscle too
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    that is excellent progres
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing amazing. The best thing to do at this point is keep on keepin' on and don't listen to anyone who may be bragging about how they lost 15 lb in two weeks. I've heard a whole lot of that over the years especially on social media (not MFP) and it used to discourage me SO BADLY - but maintaining my super-slow loss of 130-ish pounds helps me feel better ;)
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I agree with all above, congrats on good, steady progress. Also, getting a handle on this at the tender age of 33 is great, you will have lots of years to sport your kicka$$ body and the health to enjoy it.
  • __N7
    __N7 Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I just went through a bout of horrible discouragement. I started weight training and gained weight! Injured myself twice and haven't even thought about weighing myself until the end of this week.

I think the important thing like others have said is to take a step back and re-frame. Try to take feeling of empowerment from what you have accomplished in a month. Dietary change is difficult and going to the gym 6 days a week is incredible! As others have said, you're probably gaining muscle (and the water weight from it) right now, which is slowing your progress.

Personally, especially since I have a big focus on weight training, I've decided to start taking measurements weekly and to make those numbers shrink as my number one priority. I'll also continue to weigh myself, but really try to focus on those measurements instead.

Regroup, refocus, and keep going!
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    1lb per week is great! I wanted to lose 25 lbs and lost it closer to .5lb per week, which felt so slow, but it all came off!
  • akellis0405
    akellis0405 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Keep it up!! My hubby keeps telling me to stop looking at the scale. I was in the same boat literally I had just lost 6 lbs in a month but I was super discouraged too. Remember - you’re gaining muscle so just keep your head up!
  • mshidfar2018
    mshidfar2018 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    that s about 0.5 kg every week which is ideal.don t give too much thinking to scale ,thats only a number. keep up the constant effort doing workouts and keeping your calirie dificit , don t be in hurry to loose weight too fast so you don t risk loosing your muscles alongside. so you re doing great just keep it up
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Seems to be the big issue for most starters, high expectations and thinking they will drop 10 lbs a month. You're going at a good rate, keep up the good work.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    weightloss is slow ..... you didnt put on 40lbs in 1 month, it wont come off in 1 month.

Once you get your mindset around slimming down is not instant gratification territory, its something that helps is you can do in the background whilst acheiving other things like getting better, faster, stronger in the gym ..... well then it helps your sanity quite a lot