could i be in starvation mode?

Options
babyblake11
babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
on days where ive burtn 100-300 calories i will eat about 1500-1600 calories.
on days where i burn 300-1200 i will eat about 1600-1800
my goal is 1650 and im trying to maintain
im worried that i could be in starvation mode, because i have been eating like this for a very long time now.

Replies

• RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    The best answer I have ever recieved for this type of thing... because no one here can really know anything about your possible starvation mode... is how does your body feel? Starvation mode will make you physically feel horrible with a lack of energy, thinning hair or being unsatisfied all the time. If you feel okay, are satisfied at the end of the day, feel strong enough to function even after you exercise, then you're fine for you. I consume around 1200 every day and I know for a fact I'm not in starvation mode.
  • chrisc16
    chrisc16 Posts: 94
    Options
    One of the easiest things you can do is to cycle your calories. Alternate between eating about your maintenance level for one day and then about 500 calories below that for the next. Repeat this cycle for a week or so and see if the weight loss accelerates.

You can also pick a couple of meals a week to eat anything you want, just don't go crazy!
  • babyblake11
    Options
    One of the easiest things you can do is to cycle your calories. Alternate between eating about your maintenance level for one day and then about 500 calories below that for the next. Repeat this cycle for a week or so and see if the weight loss accelerates.

You can also pick a couple of meals a week to eat anything you want, just don't go crazy!

im trying to maintain and this is a lifestyle change not a diet
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you might be in starvation mode? How do you feel? Are you maintaining as you wish?
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Other than length of time, why are you worried? I agree with the other poster about evaluating how you feel. The other possibilitiy if it's an option is go to your doctor. How long ago did you have a physical? If it's been awhile maybe have one of those and tell the doctor how much you eat/exercise, etc. and they'll be able to tell you if they think it's unhealthy. To me it sounds perfectly normal. I rarely eat my exercise calories (don't come after me with pitchforks) even on days I burn up to 1200 calories, but I do make sure I hit my daily goal and eat healthy foods in th process. I hope that makes sense and you can ease your mind somehow. :)
  • babyblake11
    Options
    Why do you think you might be in starvation mode? How do you feel? Are you maintaining as you wish?

when if finished logging the 'if every day were like today..' thing says i will lose weight and i have always got a defecit, not sure if im losing, but if im not it could be because im in starvation mode. i havnt weighed in a week or two
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Oh is that why? Don't put too much credence in that part of the computer program. If you are maintaining and you know it... then dont worry about what it said. If you need to tweak it then do it.
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Oh is that why? Don't put too much credence in that part of the computer program. If you are maintaining and you know it... then dont worry about what it said. If you need to tweak it then do it.

Exactly! MFP is a great tool but sometimes it's just a tool. It doesn't really know you! Did you change your goals to maintain? If it's really bothering you to see that message, stop logging your exercise calories, that's why it's telling you you might lose, because of the deficit.
  • natlag18
    Options
    It often tells me I may be in starvation mode even when I may have eaten almost 2000 calories but have burned many of them off with excercise. As long as you are eating sensibly and eating the right foods (little and often works for me!) then you should continue to maintain a healthy weight.
  • babyblake11
    Options
    thanks for your advice guys :) i feel a bit better, if i keep losing i will ensure i eat a little more
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I often call bull with that "in 5 weeks you'd weigh" message. It's nice to see it when it gives you a nice message but I really wouldn't pay any real attention to it or anything...
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    if your trying to maintain, its pretty basic. You burn it you eat it.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    if youre maintaining, it doesnt make any difference either way, as the main problem with s.m. is apparently that you plateau/maintain, rather than lose