really good cushioned sock or podiatrist?

Options
I bought some Sketchers Shape-Ups for walking several months ago and didn't walk every day consistently and didn't have any problems with occasional use. But when I joined MFP (7/31) and walking every day I noticed that I was getting blisters on my feet (on the inside right behind my big toe where that big bone sticks out) and it looked to me that my feet were turning inward when I walked. So, I thought the shoes were making my feet turn inward and I went and got a regular pair of Nike running shoes and some socks that have cushioned bottoms. I'm still getting blisters on the insides of my feet where the big toe connects to the foot (both feet). I don't know if my feet are turning inward and I need to see a podiatrist or if I just need better socks. Anyone suggest some really good heavily cushioned socks? Or do you think I need to see a podiatrist? I've always worn Nike in the past and never had a problem with them; they've always fit me well....only now, since I've gotten older my feet need a wide shoe. Any thoughts, anybody? Thanks...MFP people are the BEST! I love this group.

Replies

• Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I say it's time to go to a podiatrist!
  • gritgirl
    gritgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'd say see a podiatrist. I know that I've ignored walking issues like that in the past to my detriment later. Never hurts to get professional advice on this stuff and if there's a problem, you'll catch it early.

Oh, and an incredible sock is made my Smartwool. Loooove them. They make some seriously cushioned socks.
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i agree with going to the podiatrist, however, in the mean time i would buy some over the counter cusions. they stick directly to the boney prominence and keep the rubbing from happening. i went to disney one year and had a blister on the bottom of my big toe and i was able to walk on it with very little pain and without breaking the blister. hope this helps!
  • Cokamo
    Cokamo Posts: 51
    Options
    Maybe your shoes are too small or you need a wide width. When you get fitted for shoes at a store that specializes in running shoes, they take you a half a size up because your feet swell during running or walking and the extra space helps prevent rubbing/blisters. They also look at the way you walk to get you into the right shoe. Try getting fitted for a good pair of shoes. They also have some really cool (but expensive) sock options also.
  • CarolineT82
    Options
    Try 1000 mile socks.....my friend who runs marathons swears by them. I got mine from the shop that I bought my running shoes from - they check out the gait of your foot there too which may be part of the problem if your trainers aren't supporting your foot properly :o)
  • jhalton
    jhalton Posts: 85
    Options
    I see you live in Jax too...yay! Blisters are usually caused by shoes being to tight or narrow. I would go to 1st Place Sports or Jacksonville Running Co. They can look at your feet and see what type of shoe you need. Take your old shoes with you. They will look at the wear patterns to help determine if you pronate, supinate, etc. They won't be cheap, but if you are comimtted to this, it is worth the investment.

Good luck!
  • bakebunny
    bakebunny Posts: 253
    Options
    Definitely check with a podiatrist - if left alone that inward motion of the toe could become a bunion. Which is painful, let me tell you!!

Even if there's nothing wrong, the doctor can check your feet out in general, make recommendations of what kind of shoe and places to shop, even write a prescription for a shoe!
  • TheGreatYaYa
    TheGreatYaYa Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Definitely check with a podiatrist - if left alone that inward motion of the toe could become a bunion. Which is painful, let me tell you!!

Even if there's nothing wrong, the doctor can check your feet out in general, make recommendations of what kind of shoe and places to shop, even write a prescription for a shoe!

Yep, I already have a bunion on my right foot and have had to go to a wide shoe in all my shoes for that reason.
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    FYI-I've been told by several personal trainers and my physical therapists that the "Shape Up" style shoes are not recommended. Since I never used them, I didn't ask why.
  • TheGreatYaYa
    Options
    Maybe your shoes are too small or you need a wide width. When you get fitted for shoes at a store that specializes in running shoes, they take you a half a size up because your feet swell during running or walking and the extra space helps prevent rubbing/blisters. They also look at the way you walk to get you into the right shoe. Try getting fitted for a good pair of shoes. They also have some really cool (but expensive) sock options also.

Yes, I did go with a wide width in the Nike b/c I do have a bunion on my right foot and I have to have wides in all my shoes now and I did get a half size larger. My probably should go get fitted for a good pair of shoes AND see a podiatrist...okay, podiatrist first, then shoes! Thanks.
  • TheGreatYaYa
    Options

I think you guys are right...I need to see a podiatrist (already have bunion on right foot) and then get a good pair of shoes. Thanks, everybody. I appreciate your quick response. Making appt. today!