Hula Hooping

Options
Have you tried hooping? I mean, since you were a kid. :smile: My sis-in-law hoops beautifully. It's even kinda sexy. Anyway, she made a hoop for me and I'm having fun hooping to music. I found a couple of sites that say the caloric burn is 200 calories for 30 minutes. Mine has a little water in it to add some weight (I'm guessing it helps with the spinning too) and friction tape wrapped around it to help it stay up. :wink:

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I've read the hoops made for adults are much easier to keep up than when you were a kid. I've considered making one for myself with a youtube video. I think it would be fun.
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    When I took a belly dancing class we used hula hoops as part of out workouts. When hooping we would lift a bar for weight and do squats up and down. Really teaches you balance, and tons of fun! :)
  • naeswirl
    naeswirl Posts: 56
    Options
    Don't sleep on hooping! It's a great way to exercise your midsection. If you are looking for classes or more info google: Hoopnotica for teachers in your area. I take classes here and I love it!

Good luck!
  • tialeanne
    tialeanne Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've thought about hooping, and I used to have the instructions on how to make them but I've lost them. Sounds like fun! And if you have some hoola hoop making instructions, post them!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info on the "adult version" of a hoop! LOL I never mastered the art of hula hooping, even as a kid! LOL Always wondered if it is because my hips are at different heights! Might try making one with the tape and water. THANKS! HAPPY HOOPING!
  • brvanover
    Options
    I recently got a hoop! I just hoop while I watch tv, I've heard it's good for your abs! I don't log it though
  • gipperakh
    gipperakh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I never could hula hoop...lol.
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i HAVE A HOOP! I made mine myself... all you need is about 9 - 9.5 feet of 3/4 inch PVC, and a connector. You want enough PVC to make a hoop that reaches to about your navel when it is on the ground. You can add some sand/water to the hoop for weight if you want, but it isn't absolutely necessary. If you have trouble getting the connector in, you can dip the ends of the hoop (PVC) in boiling water for a few moments, and the connector will fit right in :) Once you get your hoop formed, it is a good idea to tape over the seam to reinforce it. To make your hoop a bit 'prettier'; you can get all sorts of different friction tapes at the local dollar store/ hardware store... or to be fancy, look up hoop tape on ebay, they have so many kinds/colours for you to choose from. There are many hooping tutorials available on youtube, so you can learn some fancy tricks. A good video I have at home is "Hoopnotica" ...HAVE FUN!!
  • dianichole73
    dianichole73 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I hula hoop for 10 minutes a day with a 5lbs weight hula hoop and it is so much fun.
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this... I never knew I could make one myself.. I was looking to buy one, and couldn't find one for adults. Thank you so much :)
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this... I never knew I could make one myself.. I was looking to buy one, and couldn't find one for adults. Thank you so much :)

When I made mine back in the spring, it cost me $11 and some change for all the supplies. (CAD $$) Fairly cheap :)
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I used to hula hoop all the time when I was younger. One day while working with one of my students, I tried to hula hoop. We were having a competition to see who could keep it up the longest. I told her to watch out, that I was an expert hula hooper. Sadly I could not keep the hoop up at all. It was quite embarrassing. My student had a good laugh with that one!

But good for you!!! I am happy you found an exercise that you enjoy! Maybe one day I will get back into it.
  • CCLadyBug
    Options
    Thank you for all the good info! I was going to email my sisinlaw for details, but now I don't need to! She made mine pretty with colored tapes.