Slow weight loss

Options
I've only lost 0.6 lb in the last 2 weeks. I did lose an inch on my hips but I've followed my daily calories and excercised 4 days last week and 3 days this week. I don't have any thyroid issues according to my doctor. I just don't understand?!

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    Well, how much are you trying to lose?

You need to eat at a calorie deficit. To do that with any degree of accuracy you need a food scale. A food diary is a great help.

But wherever you are in the process, give it more time. What happens in 2 weeks is not a long enough test period to justify changes. You have in fact lost weight.

And beware the time issue. This board is loaded with people who wreck themselves over the time it takes to lose weight. Don’t be one.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Don't worry I only lost 0.8 lb in 2 weeks the following week I lost more. Weight loss isn't linear some weeks you won't lose weight and some weeks you will just keep at it :)
  • camoprincess0591
    camoprincess0591 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm using this app as my caloric intake tracker. I also weigh my food with a food scale and very rarely eat back my calories burned. I track my calories burned with my Garmin fitness tracker. I've tried different diets in the past and never stuck with them. I want to be able to eat normal foods but at lower portions to teach myself a healthier way at life and to make the lifestyle changes. My overall goal is to lose 80 lbs. I love straight j to eating healthy and working out regularly so maybe my body is starting the toning process? I read somewhere that when you go straight into working out that taking measurements us a better way to track progress.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    If you are doing exactly all that is needed.....let it do its thing and it will happen. It never is when we WANT it to happen...its the process and the temperamental body.
    What r your daily calories and how tall r u ?
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    An 80 lb loss will require patience and persistence <3
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're on the right track. Eating everything you love but in smaller portions is the key. Keep working on that.

Yes, start tracking your measurements as well as your weight. Take pictures, too. All are useful tools to track progress. The scale alone isn't enough and can be deceiving at times.
  • itsgood
    itsgood Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're off to a good start...and several here have said the important things. Weight loss is not linear, you need to eat at a deficit over time...stay consistent. Track your food, be patient, keep a record. I started mid January with calorie counting, started tracking weight mid February...down 30 pounds but many days within these three months have shown a "gain." In fact I'm noticing that almost every time I reach a new low, I immediately bounce back up a half pound or so. Maddening, but now predictable so I just try to take it in stride and stay the course. You'll get there, stay encouraged!
  • thrashersara88
    thrashersara88 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The number on the scale is NOT the only measure of success! I would say by the amount you are working out and the fact you've lost an inch you are still losing fat. You are likely building muscle which compared to fat takes up less space per lb. A couple of years ago i went from a size 18 to a size 14 over 5 months and I only lost 5lbs! I was doing cardio but i focused a lot on lifting. I dont know if this helps or not but keep your chin up! I'd say you are doing great!
  • scarla67
    scarla67 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat so went back to very low cabs and high protein today. Will see how that goes.
  • bstanb01
    bstanb01 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 9 lbs since January, but I've gone from XL/L maternity clothes to M/L and size 10 pants. Don't worry too much about the actual number of pounds if you're working out and eating right. I was disheartened when I lost absolutely no pounds in January and February, but I realized my clothes were fitting looser even though the number on the scale wasn't moving
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements! I didn’t bother at the start so regrettably don’t have my starting measurements, but it’s really good to see your progress in a none-scale way too. This week I’ve actually gained 0.8lb but lost 2cm on my waist and 3cm on my hips. There really doesn’t seem to be any rhyme nor reason to what comes off where, so cover all bases. Best of luck!
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has always been slow. I walked every day for 45 minutes and occasionally I'd hit 700g in a week. I've lost around 25 kg. I had lost 36 kg. I had only about 10 kg to go but I lapsed. It's been hard refocusing and doing the hard slog all over again but somehow I'm doing it. In the last 8 weeks, I've lost 2 kg so still very slow. I watch my calories and generally avoid unhealthy food. I think I just have to accept that it's my lot in life and better that it comes off slowly than not at all.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The number on the scale is NOT the only measure of success! I would say by the amount you are working out and the fact you've lost an inch you are still losing fat. You are likely building muscle which compared to fat takes up less space per lb. A couple of years ago i went from a size 18 to a size 14 over 5 months and I only lost 5lbs! I was doing cardio but i focused a lot on lifting. I dont know if this helps or not but keep your chin up! I'd say you are doing great!

Even under the most optimal conditions (calorie surplus, progressive lifting program, adequate protein intake) the OP would only have gained 1/4 of a pound of muscle, so this is not the case.

OP, is this your first two weeks exercising? That could be a reason why.