Sandwiches

I was wanting to start having sandwiches for lunch as they are fast and with all the new breads can be healthy. Does any members have sandwiches for lunch most days and if so what kinds do you usually have.

Thanks

Replies

• darlibby
    darlibby Posts: 37 Member
    I eat at Subway frequently, the low-calorie options for me are wheat with chicken breast, or Turkey. Lots of veggies, mustard and no mayo or cheese.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i eat sandwiches fairly often. they are no more healthy than anything else i have any other time, though. sometimes i use plain white bread, sometimes my 'seedy' breads (as my fiance calls them - the multi grain type), sometimes hawaiian sweet rolls.... whatever i have that i want that fits my calories for the day.

as far as what goes in them .... depends on what i feel like/ have. i had turkey tomato and avocado paninis earlier this week. i like roast beef. i have chicken pitas or gyros pretty often. i use mayo on a 'regular' sandwich because i like it.

as far asveg goes, i like spinach, cucumber, tomato, reed onion and avocado
  • dukeofthedeck
    dukeofthedeck Posts: 21 Member
    I eat sandwiches most days. Typical will have turkey, ham, tuna salad, or lean roast beef. I always will have a slice or two of tomato and mustard except for the roast beef where I use horseradish sauce. I'll also use dinner leftovers such as pork tenderloin, tilapia, etc.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Many people do just as described above. They will use left over meats from the night before and make a sandwich out of it for lunch the next day.
    It's a good way to cut down on wasted foods and saves some money. Many people do not like deli style lunch meat so will use the left overs instead.
    I personally do not but I know plenty of people that do.
    You can eat whatever you want for lunch as long as it fits into your calories/ macros.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I might have a simple homemade sandwich for lunch with one of the following:
    Egg salad
    Tuna- I like the flavored tuna pouches
    Ham
    Turkey
    Peanut butter
    Grilled cheese

I usually have whole wheat bread. I sometimes add raw spinach or tomato. I do use condiments like mayo or spicy brown mustard.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    I was wanting to start having sandwiches for lunch as they are fast and with all the new breads can be healthy. Does any members have sandwiches for lunch most days and if so what kinds do you usually have.

Thanks

Sandwiches don't need 'new breads' to be healthy and the health benefits of 'new breads' over traditional sandwich bread are minor at best. Also, healthy doesn't really matter if weight loss is your priority (and in fact, the seeds/grains on so called 'healthy' bread can actually increase calories vs. traditional sandwich bread).

That said, I have sandwiches for lunch most of the time. Usual composition is white or wheat bread (180 calories for two slices), 1 oz of cheese (100 calories), 5 oz. of deli turkey/chicken/ham or 3 ounces of real meat (~150-200 calories), and then all of the pickles, mustard, vegetables, pepper spread I can handle (negligible calories but call it 50 for good measure).

I can promise you that's a pretty large and filling sandwich. 5 ounces of deli meat is an absolutely large volume of food - just avoid sausage-type cold cuts (bologna, salami, wurst, etc.) because they tend to be really high in calories for the volume.

Add a 1 oz. serving of chips or popcorn and and you'll have a very satisfying 600 calorie lunch.

• garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    I eat a sandwich almost daily. I use home made sourdough bread, Oscar Mayer turkey slices, Colby and Monterrey jack cheese (Great Value brand - both cheeses in one slice), mustard, lettuce, tomato.

I'm boring. I eat this same thing 3-4 days a week. It's about 300-350 calories per sandwich depending on the size of the sourdough slice. I weigh it out - 3 Cal/gram of sourdough.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Lunch I usually have a sandwich, on two slices of Francisco french loaf - 120 cals for the two. I'll usually have deli ham and mustard and sprouts or throw some spinach on there, or make a toastie. Sometimes tuna salad with some lite mayo, sometimes toasted. I found 45 cal thin sliced cheddar and it's just enough cheese to get the nice fatty, cheesy, salty taste without going nuts if I feel like it. Never much more than 200-250 cals for the sandwich so I can have some salad or chips as well, maybe a cup of soup and some fruit.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    My sandwiches are usually pretty simple and I eat them often, mostly for dinner (lunch is my largest meal). The easiest and quickest is just some cream cheese on bread and a tomato or a salted greek yogurt spread with fresh mint leaves and a tomato, sometimes I'll throw in a piece of deli meat in either. I also buy hummus and falafel or shawarma sandwiches sometimes. Occasionally I'll have a small Nutella sandwich. Like I said, my sandwiches are too simple for most people, but I like them that way. 1-2 ingredients at most.

When I'm feeling fancy and have the time, I do a roasted eggplant and oven fries sandwich with ketchup and mayo.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    I often have sandwiches at lunch. I recently changed to Dave's Killer Bread - Good Seed because I wanted to get more whole grains for a more steady blood glucose level. (I was dipping too low and having light-headed spells)

I wasn't sure about it because, eh on the dry whole grain breads I'd tried before. This one is delicious, not dry at all, and has a great amount of fiber.

I normally throw some chicken breast or turkey on it with fixings.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    I like the sandwich thins, only 100 - 110 calories.

An extra light cheese triangle instead of butter, meat and salad and maybe some mayo.

So for approx 200 I have a tasty sandwich. Served with a mug of homemade veg soup it’s healthy, nutritious and filling.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    I will look up subway and see what will fit within my caloric account.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    My favorite sandwiches:

roasted red pepper hummus, cucumber, tomato, and romaine on sourdough or nine grain bread
    peanut butter and banana on cinnamon raisin bread
    fresh tomato, fresh basil, and just mayo on whole wheat bread
    canned refried beans, lettuce, sprouts, tomato, and hot sauce on whole wheat
  • Lounmoun
    dsboohead wrote: »
    I will look up subway and see what will fit within my caloric account.

At Subway I get a 6" Italian BMT wheat bread, spinach, tomato, olives, peppers, onion, tomato, and vinaigrette. About 380 calories.
  • Stew501
    Stew501 Posts: 65 Member
    I use the 45 calorie bread; 90 calories for 2 slice. Just started using Jerk sauce; it has a ton of flavor and zero calories; usually leftover baked chicken breast
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    My sandwiches are usually pretty simple and I eat them often, mostly for dinner (lunch is my largest meal). The easiest and quickest is just some cream cheese on bread and a tomato or a salted greek yogurt spread with fresh mint leaves and a tomato, sometimes I'll throw in a piece of deli meat in either. I also buy hummus and falafel or shawarma sandwiches sometimes. Occasionally I'll have a small Nutella sandwich. Like I said, my sandwiches are too simple for most people, but I like them that way. 1-2 ingredients at most.

When I'm feeling fancy and have the time, I do a roasted eggplant and oven fries sandwich with ketchup and mayo.

those sound really good, actually. now im kind of wanting a cucumber sandwich.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

those sound really good, actually. now im kind of wanting a cucumber sandwich.

I love cucumber sandwiches. I also like tomato sandwiches. I have them more often during Lent. I just rub a piece of garlic on bread then add sliced tomatoes and salt.

Because I'm a bread person, sandwiches are food flavored bread to me. Bread is not merely a delivery vehicle. I wonder if that's why I like them simple.
  • Lounmoun
    edited May 2018
    My dad used to eat onion sandwiches all the time when I was growing up. He just buttered bread and put thin slices of raw onion on it.
  • KalesBagel
    KalesBagel Posts: 20 Member
    I eat sandwiches on lettuce, but regardless of the vehicle, I don't think anything can beat a traditional ham and cheese. For less caloric sandwiches load up on veggies and throw it on there with hummus or mustard.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Lately I've been having a sandwich for Saturday lunch. Specifically, 2 slices of white bread, 20 grams of peanut butter, and 10 or so grams of maple syrup. I mix the pb and syrup together, spread that on the bread and lick the bowl. It's delicious and satisfies my desire for a bit of decadence. 299 calories, 9 g protein.