Long Term Keto Success and Transitioning off of keto

Options
So I've been doing keto for 5-6 months now and am very close to my goal. The only thing that has kept me sticking to keto was my telling myself that once I hit my goal weight, I'd go back to eating carbs. Not super unhealthy and keeping calories in check but toast for breakfast, a sandwich here and there etc. Other than the 2-4 lbs of water weight, will I regain the weight? ( Have lost about 35 lbs)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Excess of calories over time is the only thing that will make you gain weight (fat).
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    What about slowly building back the grams of carbs to where you want to be so you don't get a gush of water weight from switching dramatically? Most people I know who just quit keto for good do gain it back--personally, I'd switch to a low carb and then a moderate carb lifestyle over time vs. completely transforming what you eat.
  • jenna_nicolo
    jenna_nicolo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Expect some water weight gain as your glycogen stores refill, other than that all Keto did was help keep you in a calorie deficit - if you can add the carbs back feeling as satiated as before and staying within maintenance, why not add them back?