How much lean body mass a 180 cm guy should have to look muscular and ripped?

Options
How much lean body mass a 180 cm guy should have to look muscular and ripped?

Also what will be the ideal fat percentage ?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Umm. That depends on the person, and their idea of muscular and ripped.

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    What are your stats and what are you personally aiming for? I can’t remember if you ever posted them.
  • MassarDv
    MassarDv Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Height :180 cms
    Weight : 74 kg/ 163 lbs
    Lean body mass : 120 lbs
    Body fat : 24 percent

• MassarDv
    MassarDv Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I was thinking that there is a standard defined based on height . Say 150 lbs lean mass on a 6ft guy can be considered muscular ,lean or ripped with body weight 175 lbs .
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    MassarDv wrote: »
    I was thinking that there is a standard defined based on height . Say 150 lbs lean mass on a 6ft guy can be considered muscular ,lean or ripped with body weight 175 lbs .

Muscular, lean and ripped are all subjective measures.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    MassarDv wrote: »

That is about 15% body fat at that height. I’d consider that kind of scrawny and at 15% you wouldn’t be very ripped. It’s subjective of course... 15% probably seems pretty lean to someone at 25% ;)

• SecantSix
    SecantSix Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The answer is going to depend partly on your bone structure. Imagine two guys, both 5'11", both 170 lbs., and both at 12% body fat, but one has a thin bone structure and the other has a thick bone structure. The guy with thin bones is going to have more muscle mass, because less of his lean body mass is made up of bones than the guy with thick bones. The guy with thick bones might actually look larger because of his frame, but the guy with thin bones will probably look more ripped. What "looking muscular" means here is going to be in the eye of the beholder. The thick-boned guy might look bigger despite having less muscle.

All that said, whether or not you decide you need more lean mass to get your ideal look, you're going to want to cut and bring down your body fat percentage first. 10-12% is considered the optimal body fat percentage for men to gain muscle (thanks to calorie partitioning), and you're going to want to get around that percentage to look ripped anyway.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    If looking "ripped" is the goal, you should focus on BF% rather than LBM.

Truly "ripped" body builders get down to 5-8% BF (5% is considered the min "essential" level for men's health).

Most men in the 8-12% zone will looked "ripped" compared w/anyone other than competitive body builders.

Men in the 12-15% zone will look good but not "ripped" in terms of overall ab/muscular definition.

Being considered "ripped" beyond 15% is not even a consideration.