Do I just need a rest day or something else?!?

Options
So I've been at this for a few months now. I've already gone through the whole "Holy *kitten* dude what are you doing to me soreness"

So I love Insanity and it seems to be my go-to and work for me. I've been doing that in the AM every morning before work and on weekends and then M-W-F stronglifts 5x5. Yesterday I woke up and must have slept on my neck wrong because I could barley turn my neck to the left and just overall felt sluggish. Still did Insanity T25 (poorly I might add) and didn't feel super great most of the day. Late afternoon started feeling better and decided after dinner I'd go ahead and just do another workout since my am one sucked. Did the T25 Ab Circuit and drank a bunch of water, watched TV for a bit and headed to bed. Once I got into bed and started relaxing my whole body started aching like I had the flu. I tried stretching, heating pad, started getting chills, exact match to how your body feels when you have the flu. I finally took some Motrin and about 2.5 hours later finally stopped tossing and turning and fell asleep. Woke up feeling totally fine this morning. Decided to skip my am workout since I'm lifting tonight but I hate skipping workouts:( Has anyone had any experience with this?? or have any idea what it might be? Could TOM be a factor?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Is it your TOM? Have you ever had issues like this at TOM before?
    Have you ever heard of rest days and pacing yourself?
  • StellaClaireE
    StellaClaireE Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yup it is TOM time, I've not had issues like this before during this time. And yes I have heard of rest days and pacing myself but at the same time, I'm training myself to become stronger and more fit. I guess maybe up until this happening I didn't really feel as though I had a good enough excuse to skip a work out. I also feel totally fine today. Not sore at all, I'ts just kind of weird.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    If you are working out every day and eating at a deficit you could well be starting to burn out. (over-stressing your body)

You would probably benefit from one day a week for recovery.

If you are not eating back your exercise calories or have a high deficit, you may be underfueled.

You could look at skipping Insanity the days you lift.

TOM may have been a factor, but I would also examine my overall exertion, fuelling, rest, strategy. A diet break may be advantageous.

(I found that I burnt out fast, got sick and lethargic, trying to do lifting x3 and conditioning x5. I cut the conditioning to alternate with the lifting days,included yoga for flexibility, and gave myself recovery days)

Cheers, h.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I've gotten a stiff neck from lifting. Its from poor form. Here's from Muscle and Fitness:

What You Did

According to a recent M&F survey, an alarming 95% of readers have suffered a serious neck injury while lifting.
    What You Feel

Some degree of pain (soreness or sharp pain) and loss of mobility in your neck or upper back.
    The Treatment

Using your hands as resistance, perform isometric contractions according to these instructions:

Flex your neck forward, extend it back, rotate to each side, and bend to each side. Hold each position for 10 seconds—that’s one rep. Do 10 reps total.
    Stand with your back against a wall—your head, back, and butt touching it. Bend your arms 90 degrees and place the back of your hands against the wall. Slide your arms up the wall to extension. Do 3 sets of 10. Each rep should take 3–4 seconds.
    Turn your head to the right and place the same side hand on top of your head. Pull your head down toward your underarm so you feel a stretch in your shoulder, and hold. Do 3 sets of 8- to 10-second holds.

Prevention

Going forward, make sure your neck is positioned correctly during a lift. First, imagine pulling your chin back, as to make a “double chin,” and then flex your neck down slightly. As a visual cue, imagine trying to pin a tennis ball between your chin and collarbone. If you’re prone to looking up during deadlifts or kettlebell swings— common causes of neck pain as well as a loss of stability and strength on the lifts—this posture will help correct it.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Your body needs rest days, no matter what your mind tells you. No rest days can lead to fatigue and injuries. Seriously, take a day off once a week
  • StellaClaireE
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    I've gotten a stiff neck from lifting. Its from poor form. Here's from Muscle and Fitness:

What You Did

According to a recent M&F survey, an alarming 95% of readers have suffered a serious neck injury while lifting.
    What You Feel

Some degree of pain (soreness or sharp pain) and loss of mobility in your neck or upper back.
    The Treatment

Using your hands as resistance, perform isometric contractions according to these instructions:

Flex your neck forward, extend it back, rotate to each side, and bend to each side. Hold each position for 10 seconds—that’s one rep. Do 10 reps total.
    Stand with your back against a wall—your head, back, and butt touching it. Bend your arms 90 degrees and place the back of your hands against the wall. Slide your arms up the wall to extension. Do 3 sets of 10. Each rep should take 3–4 seconds.
    Turn your head to the right and place the same side hand on top of your head. Pull your head down toward your underarm so you feel a stretch in your shoulder, and hold. Do 3 sets of 8- to 10-second holds.

Prevention

Going forward, make sure your neck is positioned correctly during a lift. First, imagine pulling your chin back, as to make a “double chin,” and then flex your neck down slightly. As a visual cue, imagine trying to pin a tennis ball between your chin and collarbone. If you’re prone to looking up during deadlifts or kettlebell swings— common causes of neck pain as well as a loss of stability and strength on the lifts—this posture will help correct it.

Thank you for the links, I was wondering if it could have been that as well, I've deff woken up with a stiff neck prior to ever lifting but now I was wondering which one was to blame. I have all the equipment at home but I've decided to get a trainer(someone experienced in lifting) for a few sessions to work on form. I'm still on the light side for sure so now is the time to make sure it's correct.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If you are working out every day and eating at a deficit you could well be starting to burn out. (over-stressing your body)

You would probably benefit from one day a week for recovery.

If you are not eating back your exercise calories or have a high deficit, you may be underfueled.

You could look at skipping Insanity the days you lift.

TOM may have been a factor, but I would also examine my overall exertion, fuelling, rest, strategy. A diet break may be advantageous.

(I found that I burnt out fast, got sick and lethargic, trying to do lifting x3 and conditioning x5. I cut the conditioning to alternate with the lifting days,included yoga for flexibility, and gave myself recovery days)

Cheers, h.

She gave you excellent advice.
  • StellaClaireE
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    Your body needs rest days, no matter what your mind tells you. No rest days can lead to fatigue and injuries. Seriously, take a day off once a week

I didn't workout this morning and I'm going to push my lifting to tomorrow, take today off. Maybe just do a stroll on the bike trail with my daughter(I never track those since she's two and we stop every min or so to pick up sticks or rocks haha. It's more of a mental I don't want to make excuses thing and well I also like eating my exercise cals back too :D