So sick.. no appetite..

Options
Of course the weather cools down here (going from 100's to the 70's) and both my children and I are miserable with colds. I'm trying to force myself to eat anything, but 1 bite is all I can do before I feel like puking.

I do not want my diet going to hell once I'm better and holding onto fat while I'm sick. How can I make small meals to get food in my body without feeling ill afterwards?

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Just keep hydrated. Maybe smoothies, or chicken soup. Extra electrolytes will help if you're vomiting up everything.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    don't push it if you really feel sick and like it will come up anyway....just focus on liquids
    I don't hink you will go into "starvation mode" in just a few days time.....if there is such a thing
  • clarech
    clarech Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Just make sure your drinking hun. Drs always tell me not to worry about eating when me or the kids are that ill just make sure you don't get dehydrated

Get well soon
  • brittanylynne1209
    Options
    Thanks. I've been working my *kitten* off exercising and eating right every day (except yesterday, I ate chinese, and now I'm retaining about 4 lbs of water.. I can't even get my wedding rings off.. and usually they fall off!)

So I'm sipping my water like crazy trying to flush out all this water retention and stay hydrated.

I have a whey protein powder, should I mix a little in with water just to get SOME nutrients?
  • gipperakh
    gipperakh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend smoothies if you make them with any kind of dairy, that could produce more mucus and make you want to puke more lol. Stick with clear liquids.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Of course the weather cools down here (going from 100's to the 70's) and both my children and I are miserable with colds. I'm trying to force myself to eat anything, but 1 bite is all I can do before I feel like puking.

I do not want my diet going to hell once I'm better and holding onto fat while I'm sick. How can I make small meals to get food in my body without feeling ill afterwards?

When you are sick, you should be focusing on what will make you healthy, not starvation mode, or your diet. Keep yourself hydrated, when possible start adding in very bland foods (saltines, mashed potatoes, dry toast, rice, etc.) Even if these aren't a normal part of your diet plan they can help your body heal. When you are feeling better, then start back on your diet plan.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Don't eat! Your body needs to sort out the infection, don't interfere. If you don't feel like eating or feel like throwing up when you do, that's because your body is saying STOP, NOT right now please!

You will not have any long-term repercussions. "Starvation mode" only STARTS to set in after 3 days of severe calorie restriction and it takes even longer to reach maximum. You can easily recover from it afterwards.

You should stay hydrated. Take non-diet Coke and dilute it in a 1:1 ratio with water, and sip on that throughout the day - it's a very good balance of electrolytes for when you're sick. It'll get in some calories, but it's not too sweet when it's diluted. The taste might take some getting used to.

Feel better soon!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    My mom always tells me to eat rice and dry toast. Not a lot, but you need to fuel your body so it can fight the cold. Unless you are supposed to starve a cold. I never remember. Anyway, rice or dry toast shouldn't upset you too much. And yogurt for when you feel better to replace the good bacteria.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    When my kids were sick, many years ago. The Doctor always said "Nothing but water for 24 hours" you need to calm the stomach. After 24 hours try; Soup, crackers, tea, toast or what ever you can keep down. You'll be better soon.
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I always eat yoghurt when I'm sick because it's the only thing I can keep down. I'd encourage you to keep trying to eat, just in small amounts, because I got a virus last year and didn't eat for 5 days, then found it very hard to start eating again afterwards - apart from the fact you'll just feel rubbish because you've got no energy - and you need that to fit it off.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Try some hot soup, sip it from a mug maybe. Push the water and hot tea. I always feel like the act of chewing makes me more tired when I'm sick, which is what makes it harder to eat.
  • S_N_BRANCH
    Options
    I learned from my son's doctor that it is not so much the food that makes you vomit, but rather the weight of the food or drink. You have to "trick" your body by giving it a tablespoon of fluid ever so often. Don't worry about eating suck on ice chips this will keep you hydrated without being to weighty. Whenever I don't have ice chips I pour my drink into a bowl and use a spoon. Take one spoonfull every minute or every other minute whichever you can stand. When you are well enough to eat again start off with applesauce and wheat thins and in this heat if you life watermelon eat a whole one right by yourself... Hope you get to feeling better soon
  • S_N_BRANCH
    Options
    stay away from the smoothie.... stay away from the protein powder... just keep drinking and take one of your kids vitamins
  • S_N_BRANCH
    Options
    sipping on hot lemon water releases water rentention
  • Eplizzitiz
    Eplizzitiz Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    sipping on hot lemon water releases water rentention

Really? I drink about 40 oz. of hot lemon water 5 days a week ( always drink at least 64oz. of water each day) and still feel bloated!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!