to workout or not

Options
I woke up yesterday feeling sore. No Big Deal... went to my workout class business as usual. 3 hours later, my shoulder started to hurt. Still went along with my business. This morning I wake up for my workout class & can barely move my arm. The pain starts in my neck on the right side, then travels down through my right shoulder & into my right arm down through my wrist. I can't raise my arm much at all. It's no longer a dull ache, but a stabbing sharp pain.

I skipped my workout class, but thinking of going later today. Will working through this help or hurt.

I do in-home daycare so it's a lot of lifting babies. I NEED to be able to lift them, it's not like I can just takae it easy or ask for help with... well everything. I have heard the best medicine for sore muscles is excersise, but will I over do it? Can I hurt myself even more if I workout? I really don't want to miss a session as I am really seeing results. I know missing 1 day won't kill me, but it's so hard to get in a routine where you WANT to wake up at 4:30 to go workout.

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I would say dont work it. Esp if you don't know exactly what's wrong with it.
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't work it, and if the pain continues, I'd seek medical advice in case you've done something serious.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I would skip any shoulder work.....just do some cardio instead or something that doesnt involve what is hurt.
  • childofares
    childofares Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Skip it! If it was a dull ache-like pain I'd say go but sharp stabbing pain is not good. I have constant backache and have learned to push through but any pain like what you describe and I'm flat on my back for a day with muscle relaxers!
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound to me like typical sore muscle pain. I would suggest having it looked at. Could be a nerve or something more serious.
  • Try a different class which does not use your shoulder as much, or ask the instructor for advice. the instructors in my gym always ask at the beginning of any class "any injuries, or back problems?" you need to take care not to do any further damage if you have torn a muscle.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Above not working out, I'd also go up to maintanence level calories. You need the energy to repair your body properly!
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    go see either a doctor or phyisotherapist
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Skip it! If it was a dull ache-like pain I'd say go but sharp stabbing pain is not good. I have constant backache and have learned to push through but any pain like what you describe and I'm flat on my back for a day with muscle relaxers!

Yes what she said.... Dull achy muscle pain is a good pain.. sharp stabbing pain means WOOOOOOOOOWWWW STOP!!! You never ever ever work through a sharp stabbing pain. You can permanently injure something and I will tell you this as a clinical massage therapist..if you tear a rotator its 6 months of therapy to heal it. Take it easy and stay off the shoulder.
  • Ladytulip
    Ladytulip Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey that's terrible to hear your suffering.

Can I ask what kind of work you were doing?

I have just qualified as a Physical therapist, and I am just wondering what kind of stretching you did before and after?

Have you any neck pain also?
  • thomasdebraann
    thomasdebraann Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi. Minor pain is something you could soldier through, but this has gotten worse. Your body is telling you something is not right and give me a rest. Treat with meds and ice or heat (I forget which) then see the doc if you aren't seeing any improvement. You exercise to take care of you, sometimes you need to not exercise to take care of you.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    DO NOT ignore it. As so many others have said...you could make it worse. There is a difference between an overdoing it "ache" and a stabbing pain like you are describing. If there was no trauma to explain the pain, there could be any # of other underlying reasons. But clearly, your body wants you to stop and give it time to heal. And that means most cardio too other than maybe riding a stationery bike. Try a couple days of RICE (rest, ice, compression, and elevation). But if it is truly hurting that bad, you probably should go see a doctor ASAP.
  • theprices
    theprices Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    skip it and treat your body to a good stretch routine instead. if a day or two of stretching doesn't help your pain, see a chiropractor or physical therapist!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Chiropractor!!!
  • FuffaGirl
    FuffaGirl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Definitely give it a skip! Give it a few days rest, you don't want to do permanent damage for the sake of a few calories.
    Best of Luck!
  • onehecticmom
    onehecticmom Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Hey that's terrible to hear your suffering.

Can I ask what kind of work you were doing?

I have just qualified as a Physical therapist, and I am just wondering what kind of stretching you did before and after?

Have you any neck pain also?

I did curcuit training yesterday and plyometrics the day before. Tons of push-ups, burpies, bag work & upper body kettlebells. We always stretch arms across chest & back over the shoulder. My arm feels fine with the exception of dull throbs from my elbow. That has happened before several times & always goes away the next day. My neck hurts a little, but mostly when the shoulder pain stabs. It's like it travels up & down my right side. And the shoulder pain feels like it is under the shoulder blade. My hubby has tried to massage it out, but he can never reach it unless I try to arch my back out... if that makes sense.

I am going to my yoga tomorrow, hope that will help stretch it out, them also get my monthly massage. I don't know what more to do to stretch that area.
  • onehecticmom
    onehecticmom Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all. I will skip it. If it doesn't feel better after rest, yoga & a massage I will go see a dr. I used the heating pad on it for a bit & felt pretty good. I actually felt silly skipping my class... but then the pain started to come back & I am glad I decided to skip.