Food log help

Options
eznowjo
eznowjo Posts: 50 Member
Does it matter if I log my food as raw ingredients and add the amount of oil I use to cook items.
Or use the pre set food diary option..
Is this going to make much difference to my calorie intake...
Example..
Home made roast potatoes and I know how much oil I used and log it
Or use the pre set roast potatoe diary option

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Raw ingredients are always going to be more accurate.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    The recipe builder is great for multi-serving meals.
  • emilyvictoria7
    emilyvictoria7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I always input how I make things and specific to my own ingredients. Primarily because sometimes the ingredients I use vary (i.e. two different brands of almond milk have different caloric information).

If I were making roasted potatoes, I would weigh the potatoes and then measure out the amount of oil (assuming I'd eat the entire thing - or adjust serving size appropriately). I'd also suggest using the recipe section of this site/app for your own recipes.

I once had a recipe that ended up being over 150kcal less than the recipe originally suggested based on my own ingredients and reduction in oil etc. Hope that helps!
  • eznowjo
    eznowjo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This is great.. Thanks a lot.. I cook everything from scratch so I have been logging everything as raw ingredients and then logging the amount of oil I use to cook the ingredients together... So knowing that's the best way I'm happy knowing I'm doing it right.. Thank you once again much appreciated.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    There are no "pre-set" diary options. If you find something like that in the database, some other user created it and you have no idea what ingredients or proportions they used. Avoid those regardless :smile:

If you have to log a cooked food by weight, the usda publishes nutrition info for cooked single ingredient foods, like "white potato, roasted" that you can find in the database. You would still need to log cooking oil or other ingredients separately, but the usda cooked entry will allow for the weight difference between an item raw or cooked.