has anyone successfully lost weight through walking?

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I have some good friends from Nutrisystem that lost their weight that way. It took awhile, but if you have patience it's doable.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 between last July and January walking and taking yoga classes, then gained 8 while I had pneumonia and moved..... It's totally possible.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I lost 12kgs this time last year just by walking 4-5 times a week for about an hour, and watching what I ate. Then I stopped and put 7 back on. This time around, I've included walking with other exercises (elliptical, interval running) because walking bored me after a few months and I don't want to get bored!!
  • ViolettaAlexis
    Options
    I would certainly recommend walking at an incline. I work out 3 times a week and every single time I start out with my incline at 21 with speed 3.6. After 10 minutes, I raise the incline to 24 with the same speed. After another 10 minutes, I raise my incline to 27 and 10 minutes after that, lower my incline to 2 and my speed to 3.1. Then after 5 minutes of that, I'll run with my speed at 4.0, so it's not a strenuous sprint. Just a simple jog. Then I'll walk for awhile then run again until the treadmill says I have hit 800 calories. :) It definitely works. And incline is good for the butt, too!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah you can! I would just say try to walk as fast as you can or if you have a treadmill, walk at an incline just so you get your heart rate up higher to burn more calories. At one point when I was a teenager, all I did were a few shape magazine strength workouts in my room and I walked 2 miles a day and I lost about 30 lbs in about 6 months.
  • epoint
    epoint Posts: 88
    Options
    Yep, although I lost most of my weight with virtually no exercise, just calorie counting (because of a health problem since taken care of.) Once I got healthy and started walking, though, not only did I continue to lose weight, but I started looking (and feeling) MUCH better. I get up early every morning and walk through my hilly neighborhood for 60-70 minutes, anywhere from 3-5 miles. Gives me a great start to the day and my energy level has gone way up. I skip 1 (or maybe 2) days a week just to give my body a rest, but otherwise I'm out there, every morning. And I've reached my weight goal and then some.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    (raises hand) Walking is almost all I do. When I started, I was doing about 2.5 miles per hour. Now I'm up to 3.25 mph most times, sometimes faster. For me, walking has the added benefit of being a huge stress reliever, so I'm also less likely to binge.

You should do what you love, because that's what you'll stick with.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've lost most of my weight through walking, strength training and diet.

It can be done.. it may just take longer then something like running.
  • ziggy67
    ziggy67 Posts: 351
    Options
    Oh yes. Its a well known fact that if the average person power walks for 45 minutes a time, 4 times a week, he/she will lose approximately 8kg/18lb in a year without changing his/her diet in any way. I have been walking for a minimum of 30 minutes a day for about three years now and I have lost 45 lbs to date. I love walking and I follow Nina Barough's Walking for Fitness plan for weight loss, her book also offers comprehensive advice for her low impact training programmes for walkers of all levels, from beginners, to intermediate, to advanced, to short distance, to half marathon and finally full marathons.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Walking was an excellent way for me to get started with my program; it's a consistent fat burner that doesn't increase the appetite or stress the body.
  • gods_gal
    gods_gal Posts: 305
    Options
    Well, your question has definitely been answered in the affirmative!! LOL!! Here is a walking calculator I found to measure how many calories burned according to your weight and walking:
    http://www.the-fitness-walking-guide.com/walking-calories.html
    Good luck and have a great day!
  • deewildwoman
    deewildwoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you are using the Leslie Sanson videos, the amount of calories burned all depends on what you put into it. I user her videos all the time and if you put the effort in, you will burn the caloriess. Last night I did her "4 Really Big Miles" video and burned 484 cals in 56 minutes (per my HRM). So I would say it can definitely be done!
  • KRWsmom
    KRWsmom Posts: 13
    Options
    Without question, you can definitely lose weight walking. A few years ago, I lost 45 lbs. The only thing I did was WALK and eat better. I walked about 1-1.5 hours per day at about 4 mph. The walking will also tone your lower body. You will probably have to do something else for upper body. You can use hand weights when you walk. Push-ups and crunches will help tone. I have now lost 36 lbs and dropped from a tight size 14 to a falling off size 8 by walking, watching calories and toning. I think walking is one of the easiest non-gym ways of losing it. Good luck and feel free to friend me. I am a single mom, so walking with my little man is awesome for both of us!
  • kbirk1963
    Options
    Yes, i lost 15 lbs walking at a fast pace, 2 miles in 45 min. I lost more inch than pounds but i was very happy with the out come.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yes--and I started walking with Leslie and WATP the one mile walk. Now I do alot of other things, riding my bike, hiking, 30 Day Shred and started jogging, but I always keep some WATP in the mix.
    Leslie Sansone has some different DVDs. Now my favs are Walk and Kick along with Walk and Jog.
    Just keep doing what you like, if you try something and don't like it, then just keep on walking.
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is the one you're going to do! If you like walking, then stick with that.

Weight loss is 30% exercise and 70% eating (at least Bob on The Biggest Loser says so!). You can technically lose weight without exercising, but why not give yourself the extra 30% boost?

If you do like walking, I agree with the other recommendations, plus a couple of my own:

* Try walking as quickly as you can, for as long as you can
    * Try walking on an incline as much as possible
    * Use a treadmill if you can't walk outside for any reason
    * Take something fun like music, a book on tape or a friend to pass the time
    * Use a program like to set a schedule and stick with it. Couch to 5K and the American Heart Association's MyStart Walking Plan are two good ones. Google "Walking Program" and take your pick!