Thought this was a healthy site.

Options
smtraxx
smtraxx Posts: 60 Member
What is with all this new advertising? If you type the word weight loss it underlines it and if you hover over it up pops an ad for an unhealthy way to loose weight. Plus all the hover over ads in normal forum comments. Can't stand it at all.

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Its how they keep the site free someone has to pay the bills.........I dont even notice the ads anymore
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Its how they keep the site free someone has to pay the bills.........I dont even notice the ads anymore

This!
  • 46and2
    46and2 Posts: 167
    Options
    Look through the bull****tery. There's quality stuff in here.
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I have pop-up preventer on my computer at home and I don't even see the ads....... at work, I just don't pay attention to them. I believe the site is a healthy and helpful site....... and if they didn't have the ads, we would be paying to use it!
  • smtraxx
    Options
    Never used to be intertwined with members own comments ... always on the side which is understandable. But don't turn my answer into an advertisement for something else.
  • SweGuy
    SweGuy Posts: 78
    Options
    Use Firefox and add-ons that prevent the adds... Problem solved; they get paid and you get a user-friendly site... VOILÁ!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options

This!

Hear hear!
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Use Firefox and add-ons that prevent the adds... Problem solved; they get paid and you get a user-friendly site... VOILÁ!

of course this maybe an advert for a competing web browser :-)
  • smtraxx
    Options
    Wow seems like I'm the only one then. And for the record I do understand they need advertising to pay for the site. It never bothered me until it turned my answer into and ad for a product that I think is an unhealthy way to loose weight.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    The ads on MFP are NOT picked my MFP. They are picked by Google and usually have to do with your search history. Mine are often for: Zumba, Swell.com (shopping website I go to often), Roxy.com (another website I go to often), and travel deals (because I search for travel often).
  • smtraxx
    Options
    I wasn't talking about the flash advertising on the right hand side or even on the top. I am talking about your own comments that you submit on the forum. How it underlines certain words that you type and then turns them green and if you hover over them it is an ad for coupons or a weight loss program. That is what I am talking about.
  • Seajolly
    Options
    I wasn't talking about the flash advertising on the right hand side or even on the top. I am talking about your own comments that you submit on the forum. How it underlines certain words that you type and then turns them green and if you hover over them it is an ad for coupons or a weight loss program. That is what I am talking about.

I think you have spyware on your computer. What you're talking about is NOT part of the site. You need a new internet browser. Perhaps Google Chrome or Firefox?
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    This has never happened to me, just a normal advertising you see all over the internet
  • smtraxx
    Options

I think you have spyware on your computer. What you're talking about is NOT part of the site. You need a new internet browser. Perhaps Google Chrome or Firefox?

Wow ... thank you ... I didn't realise ... I thought this was happening to everyone ... I will have a look and change browsers ... Once again thank you.
  • Seajolly
    Options

Wow ... thank you ... I didn't realise ... I thought this was happening to everyone ... I will have a look and change browsers ... Once again thank you.

No problem! Just out of curiosity, what browser are you using currently?
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    junk-food-011.jpg
  • smtraxx
    Options
    google
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

I have never seen what you describe. Make sure your antivirus is up to date, your browser is up to date, and do a check for spyware - there are free programs out there. We use adaware in our house, but there are others - just research them on tech sites before you download them.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    At work I have Internet Explorer, at home Chrome and FireFox.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What they all said. That sounds like a virus or adware, not the site's advertising.