Couch bound after recent surgery

Options
Hi, I'm stuck on the couch for the next few weeks following a total ankle replacement. I can crutch around a bit but can't put my foot down for 6 weeks! I also rented a knee walker so I can get out a bit but I've already fallen off of it once and don't want to hurt myself. I'm looking for a simple meal plan to help me from gaining weight. I lost 40 lbs this year and want to keep it off! I do best on low carb higher protein diets. Any thoughts?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance. If you prefer low carb, eat low carb.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Marinate and grill your protein for dinner. Add a salad and veggie and you're set. Eggs for breakfast, fixed any way you want, with fruit or yogurt. I'm sure you can figure out lunch. Get well soon!
  • scarla67
    scarla67 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your ankle. On days you don't want to mess with cooking you might get some "Fit Kitchen" frozen dinners. They have plenty of protien, a little higher in carbs than I like but not a bad easy choice.
  • atthebeach08
    atthebeach08 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Not sure if money is a problem but for 3 weeks you could order the food that gets delivered 3 or 4 times a week and have the low carb option. My go to for needing to lose weight of not gain is a big patch of homemade vegetable soup that only have 100 calories per cup! Very filling and you can add what your lacking to your diet. If course both options include cooking if you can manage that. Good luck.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain I just had major hip surgery 7 weeks ago & he still has me on crutches (for at least 12 weeks total) I just got permission for what they call touch weight but no pressure hopefully my next appointment they will allow weight bearing & I’m struggling cuz I really can’t move much I’m sticking to my diet as best as I can but I have to depend on others for all cooking & since pasta is easy to make that’s what they seem to be giving me (I’m not a pasta fan) I guess I should just be thankful people are helping me but I’m so frustrated & I keep telling myself this is just a small setback in the big picture.
    So what others have said for foods seems really good I don’t know if you have people to help you make the meals that work with your diet or if you can cook yourself maybe things like lean cuisine meals while you recover but either way keep your head up this is just a hiccup just try to stay your best to stay on point with your eating & at the end of your ordeal you can go back to normal or better cuz now your ankle will be better than ever.
    Good luck
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Off my ankle for nearly as long as you, though all I did was break my fibula. I eat what my husband will get me. He thinks I should be eating more fruit and less toast.

On the plus side, he’s learned to cook. It’s been spaghetti, hot dogs, chicken nuggets with mixed veggies on the side, and breaded chicken made in the Actifry. Not too shabby.

Seriously, make sure you get your dairy in.
  • Leanbean65
    Leanbean65 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I will try my best to keep the diet under control :) It is hard when you are bored. The only good thing is that it is hard to get around so going to get food is a problem :) I need someone to help carry stuff for me so my kids are helping out.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Crock pot fajitas:

2lbs meat (chicken, beef, pork, lamb...)
    1 jar (16 oz salsa)

Cook until meat is tender, then add

1 medium onion (sliced)
    3 medium bell peppers (sliced)
    3 large tomatoes (sliced)
    0-10 jalapenos (depending on how spicy you like food).

Cook until veggies are desired doneness.

Salt and pepper to taste.
  • Leanbean65
    Leanbean65 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    2 more weeks in my cast left! After t is off I will be in a " boot" for another few weeks. I plan to start back at the gym then right now it is too hard to manage with the crutches. diet is doing better and I am feeling more energy. I've been getting out more and enjoying the weather :)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I like reading these kinds of post. One day, i know i will get hurt, most of us active people so. So, seeing these strategies helps me prepare when i can't be as active. Hope you get well soon!
  • DifferentView
    DifferentView Posts: 17,416 Member
    Options
    I have no brilliant ideas but I just wanted to chime in.I just had a left total knee replacement a month ago. Started PT first day postop. At first, I had little appetite but now it's back in full force. I am adding in some light upper body weights. I lost nearly 50 lbs before my surgery and I am afraid I will gain it back. Recovery will be 3 plus months.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    No great advice, but a word of caution - when you are out of the cast and moving again...be vigilant about those calories!

I broke my ankle pretty well a couple of years ago, and spent 7 weeks on the couch and then into the boot and physiotherapy....it was when I was starting to move around more and able to get my own food, but not really able to do a lot more activity that I started to let the weight creep up.
    With the physio exercises, it felt like I was working really hard, but I wasn't burning that many calories.

Glad you are feeling better now though - not too much longer in the cast.