Does anybody know...?

Options
Anamargonz
Anamargonz Posts: 35 Member
edited May 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi there!
Here is the situation. I went for my body composition check yesterday and according to it I have lost muscle mass in the past month ... i do weight lifting 4 times a week and just 5-10 mins cardio to warm up. I am lifting heavier than last month so I dont really know what happened. MFP maintenance calories are 1700kcal a day which I always go up by around 200 cal and I have 1 cheat meal a week when I go out with the family. Nonetheless I have lost 0.8 kg in a month. My macros are 149gP/149gC/57gF I have tried to decrease Carbs and eat more healthy Fats but my body doesn't like it and I get very bloated.

Could you give me any suggestions about what's going on and what I should do?

I am currently 58.3kg, 1.7 kg under my target weight, 1'68 m tall, body fat % 25. I would like to reduce my fat % but I dont seem to be doing the right thing.
Thanks

Replies

• shepards_pi
    shepards_pi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Water retention
  • shepards_pi
    shepards_pi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lean muscle mass is greatly influenced by water and can fluctuate. I'd focus more on fat loss to reveal muscle, keep eating and lifting. are you getting stronger? If so I wouldn't worry, incremental fains in lean muscle mass are trivial, you'll notice it over time in how you feel and how strong you are, if you're getting stronger the msicle are growing
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    As stated, bio-impedance results are sensitive to changes in hydration status. With BIA, it is crucial that you have consistent test conditions each time—time of day, hydration level, meal timing, workout schedule, etc.

What you are seeing is normal fluctuations due to testing method.
  • LongevityRob
    LongevityRob Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What does your current training program look like?
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    As people are saying above, lean body mass includes water and also muscle glycogen, so you should always do it first thing in the morning and have the same routine the day before each measurement to get any comparable result. If you have been losing weight you should also expect to lose some LBM, but since you say you are UNDER your goal I am assuming you are trying to gain and not lose?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Was your impedance test a 2-point (standing on metal plates) or 4-point (standing on metal plates and holding metal sticks)? The 2-point tests are less than worthless. The 4-point tests are merely worthless. However, a series of 4-point tests can give you an idea of the trend of your changes in body composition. Don't stress the results even a little bit. You're doing fine.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    As mentioned those machines are fairly inaccurate and was likely a result of water fluctuations.

I am kind of confused at your goals though. Are you trying to recomp (maintain your weight and change your body composition). Are you having issues getting enough calories in? In terms of protein, 1g per lb bodyweight is more than enough and if you aren't hitting your goals and losing weight when you want to maintain then you may want to lower it and distribute those calories to your other macros. If increasing your fats doesn't agree with you, nothing wrong with more carbs.. fruit, bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, etc.
  • Anamargonz
    Options
    andreaen wrote: »
    As people are saying above, lean body mass includes water and also muscle glycogen, so you should always do it first thing in the morning and have the same routine the day before each measurement to get any comparable result. If you have been losing weight you should also expect to lose some LBM, but since you say you are UNDER your goal I am assuming you are trying to gain and not lose?

My goal is to put more muscles on and get rid of fat, trying to do body recomp since last September but now it's getting more difficult as I already lost all the weight I needed.
  • Anamargonz
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    As mentioned those machines are fairly inaccurate and was likely a result of water fluctuations.

I am kind of confused at your goals though. Are you trying to recomp (maintain your weight and change your body composition). Are you having issues getting enough calories in? In terms of protein, 1g per lb bodyweight is more than enough and if you aren't hitting your goals and losing weight when you want to maintain then you may want to lower it and distribute those calories to your other macros. If increasing your fats doesn't agree with you, nothing wrong with more carbs.. fruit, bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, etc.

Trying to do body recomp. I've been told to increase cals but I'm scared of putting weight on...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Anamargonz wrote: »

Trying to do body recomp. I've been told to increase cals but I'm scared of putting weight on...

Maintenance will be a weight range, so your weight can fluctuate. If you are eating maintenance you should not be putting on weight (actual fat). Look at the trend over time.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    If you want to recomp, you will gain weight. You yourself stated you are underweight, so why is this a concern?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    If you want to recomp, you will gain weight. You yourself stated you are underweight, so why is this a concern?

OP is under her target weight but not underweight.

And you gain weight in a surplus not in maintenance.

I was assuming that the OP knows she has to eat in surplus to recomp. Didn't think I had to spell it out.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I was assuming that the OP knows she has to eat in surplus to recomp. Didn't think I had to spell it out.

No you don't have to eat in surplus to recomp. Recomposition is maintaining your weight to lose fat and build muscle over time. Eating in a deliberate surplus is considered bulking with the goal to gain muscle (with fat that comes with it as well).

^ This!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

@musicfan68
    Have a read of this article by Eric Helms and you may (should!) change your mind.....

https://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/calorie-deficit-gain-weight/
  • Anamargonz
    Options
    1 kg under my target weight doesnt mean that i am underweight. There is a big difference.