Restaurant cravings!

Options
kater8er
kater8er Posts: 364 Member
Does anyone have any helpful tactics on how to get past cravings at restaurants and movie theaters? I've gotten really good at passing up sweets but salty popcorn and buffalo wild wings makes me squirm. Please dont say "just don't go." this is a lifestyle change and once I'm at my goal weight I'll need to maintain by not gorging at places like this.

Replies

• Chunkabutt83
    Options
    personally, im kinda rotten, i pack my own snacks when i go to the movies lol, the restaurants are too hard for me right now, i stay away
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Read the menu and think before you order. Only you have the control, no one can do it for you. Either you want it or you don't.
  • marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I pop my own 100 calorie popcorn and bring it in a zap lock bag to the movies.

At buffalo wild wings I have the grilled chicken tacos or sometimes 6 wings. I use buffalo sauce at home in recipes so I don't crave that flavor when I am out.
  • kater8er
    Options
    I pop my own 100 calorie popcorn and bring it in a zap lock bag to the movies.

At buffalo wild wings I have the grilled chicken tacos or sometimes 6 wings. I use buffalo sauce at home in recipes so I don't crave that flavor when I am out.

These are good ideas! My boyfriend works at a movie theatre and we get in free so we see a lot of movies
  • dianaskin
    Options
    For the Wings: Try to eat a little before you go so you are not STARVING! See if you can order 1/2 the amount and SHARE! Never go without, just have a little less and order a salad (bring your own dressing) on the side.

For the popcorn: Bring your own!!! Those popcorns can have up to 1000 calories per bag! Just pop a 100 calorie Smart Pop bag and use flavour shakers if you must!
  • kater8er
    Options
    Read the menu and think before you order. Only you have the control, no one can do it for you. Either you want it or you don't.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I normally am very disciplined but lately I feel like im gonna snap one night and ruin an otherwise great day.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Most chain restaurants have their nutritional info online. Look up ahead of time what you can have or safely fit into your calorie budget. Then, order what you planned to order. I know it's hard once you're there, so try not to even look at the menu. Order what you planned to have and you will be just fine. :)
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    michelina's lean has the anytime snackers in buffalo flavor. really good. you can try eating something like that before you go out. that way you've already had your fix
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Occasionally treat yourself! Don't deprive yourself completely. :)
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    When we go to restaurants i look up the menu & calories. Im 1 of those ppl that usually order the same thing where ever i go. Crazy how much the calories can differ. Anyway i pre plan the portions & how much of what i can have & so far it works pretty good. My phone isnt smart enough for this site, so i have a pocket calories count book. Very helpful.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I don't have a suggestion for you...but I can definitely relate. I went for drinks the other night with friends (I had allotted calories towards a beer that day). We met up just before dinner time so I had planned on having one drink and eating dinner later. My friends then ordered sweet potato fries and mac and cheese...it took everything in me not to have any!! I'm still craving mac and cheese though.
  • traceyann1214
    traceyann1214 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Let yourself have a cheat meal so you DON'T snap! Plan for it so you can keep it controlled. There's nothing wrong with treating yourself, you need to keep your sanity. The key is to not gorge the other meals of the day or the next day, etc. Along with bringing my own popcorn, the movie theatre I go to has sugar free chocolate candies. They are in the shape of turtles and have caramel and some kind of nut in them. Anyway, they are good! Or bring some chocolate with you! I still enjoy myself and have snacks so it makes me happy!! Good luck!
  • EmilyQC
    EmilyQC Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    have a small snack before you go so your mouth isn't watering while trying to order food.
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm really into getting the kids pack at theatres. I know at Regal theatres if you get a kids pack with Diet Coke, it's all 170 calories (popcorn, drink, and fruit snack)... it's around 300 at AMC theatres though, which is kind of a bummer. But it's a good compromise and then you get to eat all the bad stuff, but in smaller portions so you're not tempted to eat more.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Definitely research the restaurant menu online beforehand if you can. One of my huge pet-peeves is that the salads at most places are FAR worse than a cheeseburger and fries in comparison. I'm sickened when I overhear someone ordering a salad and saying "I'm going to be good and have this...."...its really deceiving to people who think they're eating healthy and are actually unknowingly ordering a landmine of fat & calories!

The earlier poster who said "bring your own dressing" has the right idea!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

Yes, I'm aware of that. I normally am very disciplined but lately I feel like im gonna snap one night and ruin an otherwise great day.

It's ok to have a meal once awhile without worry about what you should order or not. Get something you real wanted, before you eat, ask the waiter to pack half of it away first. The restaurant portion is just way too big for an individual. Eat slow, drink water in between your bites, enjoy each bite.

During the day, try to focus on eating more vegi and fruits, don't starve yourself. If you feel guilty about eating too much, still, workout earlier to earn some calories.

Enjoy your meal and movie. Agree on taking your own snacks to the theater. The free pop-corns there is really not worth it. I won't eat their pop-corns even they pay me (unless it's like a fortune :P )
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options

I think it is important to sometimes take a planned break. If you know you are obsessing about a certain food, sometimes it is better to plan for it by limiting calories during the day, exercise a little bit extra and just do it.

For me, every once in awhile I just want to eat spinach artichoke dip. I just LOVE it!! So it is something that I can eat occasionally and share.

I too look through the menu before going, and as obnoxious as it sounds I bring celery to the theater! I need to munch and crunch while watching. Last, I have emergency sugar free mints in my purse. When I am shopping or out someplace and I just have this overwhelming craving for something I pop a peppermint lifesaver and the blast of minty-ness erases the temptation.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Buffalo Wild Wings now has Naked Chicken Tenders. There is no breading and the sauce is on the side.....So you can limit the amount that goes on each one. I ask for carrots and celery instead of the fries that it comes with.
  • AlainaGMitchell
    Options
    How did you find the nutritional info on the Kids pack at the regal cinemas. I have been looking all day! When I go to a movie I love my popcorn, but I want to know exactly how many calories I am eating.