Chinese Takeaway

Options
Cateyj
Cateyj Posts: 20 Member
Hi Everyone, just need to pick your brains! We have been invited out to friends' house for a chinese takeaway. What are my best options? I prob won't eat a full portion, but i was thinking maybe chop suey chicken or chicken chowmein? I am going to try to do some extra exercise, and drink lots of water to combat the salt, but just aiming for damage limitation calorie wise really! xx

Replies

• BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I just had Chinese takeout last night! I like the Mu Shu chicken. No pancake and only use a small amount of the hoison sauce. I used PF Chang's nutritional data (since their stats are generally awful). I eat it with 1/2 cup of steamed rice and egg drop soup. I had about 7oz of the mu shu chicken, 10oz egg drop soup, 1/2 cup steamed rice, 1tbsp of hoison and even an eggroll for 650 calories. Just remember to drink a ton of water to offset all the sodium! Enjoy!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I'd go with boiled rice and something like beef and green peppers, if you have a starter wanton soup rather than duck or anything fried like prawn toast x
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I love the beef and brocolli/light sauce
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Most restaurants have lighter menus. I know all the restaurants around me do. They don't add the sauces. Just ask for any sauces on the side and ask for no added salt. They will not have a problem with it I promise you.
  • lma0423
    lma0423 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This gets a little annoying to order, but I usually get brown rice, with steamed chicken (which ends up not tasting like anything but it fills me up) and steamed snow peas and broccoli, with brown sauce on the side. I eat like half and save the rest for lunch the next day.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I would go with something like king prawns/chicken or squid in one of the following lighter sauces:

pineapple
    Ginger & spring onion
    Rice wine & broccoli
    Black pepper
    Or anything 'dry fried'

Stir fried veggies/ chinese leaf are good sides too.

won ton soup is a good starter option.

In the UK they tend not to have 'heathier options' on takeaway menus- it's quite difficult as a lot of chinese takeaway food is oily/ deep fried and smothered in sauce.
  • marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I would get steamed shrimp with veggies. Skip the rice and get some sauce on the side. Avoid noodles cuase they are covered in oil.
  • Cateyj
    Cateyj Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thankyou so much for all those suggestions. As I am in the UK unfortunately there are no 'light' versions of any of the meals, so i am just going to make the best of what is on offer ;-) Some really good ideas though. Chicken and ginger/spring onion is looking quite favourable at the moment. I can't be too fussy as we haven't seen our friends for ages and they've been so kind to invite us over, don't want to be like a calorie obsessed fusspot on our first night out in 18 months!!! xx