Any low carb meal/snack, veggie or meat (that can be swapped for a veg alternative)

Options
kissmynivarna
kissmynivarna Posts: 38 Member
edited May 2018 in Recipes
Hey so I’ve basically been improvising with some makeshift meals and that’s led me to restricting because every damn site for Keto/low carb eating says one thing is good but another will go on saying it’s bad. Like sweet potatoes for instance! It’s telling me to be cautious with my fruit and veg too otherwise that will affect my loss. True or? Because I love my fruits and veggies!!

Any help would be amazinnnnnnnng,

V

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    With keto what's important is the total of your net carbs, not which specific foods you eat. You can set your carb goal in MFP and log your foods, minus fiber, to see net carbs.

However, unless you have a medical reason to restrict carbs, keto is not better than any other way of eating for losing weight. A calorie deficit causes weight loss and keto is just one way of achieving that. Unless you personally find it an easy way to restrict calories, there's no need to do keto.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Everything @rheddmobile said. Your loss is only affected by total calorie deficit, no matter which macro those calories come from. Eat your fruit and veg! Weigh your food, log it, keep to your calorie goal. There is no reason at all you have to go into keto unless your dr has recommended it for some health reason.
  • 3mango
    3mango Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato is a starch switch to butternut squash
  • 3mango
    3mango Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just made butternut squash and cauliflower rice chili. It was excellent. Beans are healthy but not while I’m trying to lose weight. So I swapped to butternut, onion and cauliflower rice. Also lean chicken 8 oz for a little protein and favor. Lawrys Chili packet. Easy fast and everyone wanted more. Use low sodium tomato sauce
  • reneeroling
    reneeroling Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, what 3mango said. Just count the vegetables and fruits in your macros for the day and you will be fine. Some vegetables and fruits are preferred over others while on keto. Do a quick google or pinterest search and there will be tons of visual charts showing you which ones, but as you put them in MFP, you will learn which ones you like most for your lifestyle and results.

For SOME of us WITHOUT a medical reason for eating keto, the type of calories absolutely, positively make a difference in MY weight loss. I'm not saying keto is better, but people should speak for themselves in terms of what's better FOR THEM. Don't speak for me or anyone else like everyone is the same. A calorie is not a calorie for my body. I have been dieting for 30 years. I have done atkins and low carb and all the other diets out there. My grandmother was a lifetime weight watchers member and lost hundreds of pounds on their programs. Her way didn't work for me. Find your own way and respect everyone else that has their own way.
  • sugarnspice0613
    sugarnspice0613 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes, what 3mango said. Just count the vegetables and fruits in your macros for the day and you will be fine. Some vegetables and fruits are preferred over others while on keto. Do a quick google or pinterest search and there will be tons of visual charts showing you which ones, but as you put them in MFP, you will learn which ones you like most for your lifestyle and results.

For SOME of us WITHOUT a medical reason for eating keto, the type of calories absolutely, positively make a difference in MY weight loss. I'm not saying keto is better, but people should speak for themselves in terms of what's better FOR THEM. Don't speak for me or anyone else like everyone is the same. A calorie is not a calorie for my body. I have been dieting for 30 years. I have done atkins and low carb and all the other diets out there. My grandmother was a lifetime weight watchers member and lost hundreds of pounds on their programs. Her way didn't work for me. Find your own way and respect everyone else that has their own way.

Agreed! I used to only count calories, and I was hungry all the time. I either binge ate because at the end of the day I felt like I was starving, or I just stayed miserable to keep my calories within my limits. Either way, it wasn’t a good fit for me. LCHF has worked for me, and I’m no longer not miserable.
  • sugarnspice0613
    sugarnspice0613 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hey so I’ve basically been improvising with some makeshift meals and that’s led me to restricting because every damn site for Keto/low carb eating says one thing is good but another will go on saying it’s bad. Like sweet potatoes for instance! It’s telling me to be cautious with my fruit and veg too otherwise that will affect my loss. True or? Because I love my fruits and veggies!!

Any help would be amazinnnnnnnng,

V

Everyone is different, but most people don’t have to go super low carb to get the benefits of a LCHF diet. As far as fruit goes, berries are your safest choices. There’s about 3-4 grams of carbs in a half cup of raspberries, strawberries, or blackberries. When I want fruit, I usually get a bag of frozen berries with cherries, heat up a half serving along with a tbsp of coconut oil and mash the fruit so the juice and oil all mix together. Then I let it chill in the fridge and once it’s cold, mix it into a half serving of Greek yogurt and sprinkle some cinnamon on it. At that point you’ve got fat, protien, and your fruit :-).

I personally eat almost all vegetables that I want other than potatoes. Try butternut squash as suggested previously. Cauliflower is amazing and so versatile that I’m constantly eating it. I focus more on cutting wheat and grains from my diet which tends to make my intake naturally low in carb without being too restrictive.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Nope to the bolded.

Keto may indeed make a difference in your weight loss, but it's not because a calorie is not a calorie....because that's not true. Calories in vs. calories out always matters for weight loss.

Do you feel more satiated using keto? This is entirely possible.

Are you able to "count" calories in a less restricted manner when eating this way? This is entirely possible.

But anyone eating at a calorie deficit will lose weight....keto or not.

OP - pick foods that are satiating, pick foods you enjoy. Learn portion control for a lifetime. Because weight loss is just the first step.