Lost 17kg - 6kg to go but nothing lost for 4 weeks!

So I have lost 17kg over the last 6 months, but my body seems to have settled and even though I am eating same it won’t lose anymore! I joined gym last week and am trying to do workout and cardio mix for 90 minutes 5 times a week. I don’t think I am eating enough (800-1000 cals a day usually) or the right types of foods for the exercise to benefit me. What should I be eating for meals and snacks and how much? I am 162cm talk and weigh 76kg. Any advice would be appreciated cos I don’t know where to start! I don’t want to waste all the exercise if I’m not eating correctly - or enough (which I’m scared to eat more incase I put weight back on).

Replies

• eastwd
    eastwd Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2018
    I should add that my gym workout is weights and cardio with some pump classes too!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    If you were truly eating 800-1000 calories the weight would be flying off. How are you measuring your calorie intake?
  • eastwd
    eastwd Posts: 6 Member
    By logging everything into MFP! And yes for the first 12 weeks it did fly off. But then be next couple of months it’s slowed down so I thought I should exercise to get it moving again. But my worry is that I am now not eating enough for my workouts to be beneficial as I’m still not losing.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    I completely agree with sarahbums.

800-100 calories is not enough for anyone. Set up your info on MFP, see what it tells you, and actually eat the amount that MFP tells you to. It is a GOAL you should reach, not a limit. Do that for a while, see where it gets you and fine-tune if necessary. If you don’t think it works for you physically, or you get anxiety or emotional issues, see a professional who can help you with finding a safe and healthy way to lose weight, and with your relationship with food.

Are you looking for a permanent change? If you are looking to maintain your current (or eventually reached goal) weight, you need to figure out your relationship with food and shape it into one you can live with for the rest of your life.

What do you want out of exercise? Exercise helps with your health, increasing your cardiovascular fitness and strength, balance and mobility (of course depending on what you do). Exercise makes you fitter and healthier, it does not make you lose weight. Sure, it burns calories and thus helps creating a deficit, but as they say, you can’t out-train your fork.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    edited May 2018
    eastwd wrote: »
    By logging everything into MFP! And yes for the first 12 weeks it did fly off. But then be next couple of months it’s slowed down so I thought I should exercise to get it moving again. But my worry is that I am now not eating enough for my workouts to be beneficial as I’m still not losing.

But how are you measuring those calories? Food scale? Measuring cups? Eyeballing portions?

You're correct that 1000 calories is too little regardless of exercise (you should be eating 1200 calories minimum, if not the goal given to you for .25 kg loss per week), but if you haven't lost eating that little then you're likely eating more than you think.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Are you using a food scale? Using accurate database entries? Would you be willing to temporarily make your food log public?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,145 Member
    edited May 2018
    It is perfectly normal for weight to NOT FLY OFF FOREVER!.

Depending on how you're measuring it is perfectly normal for your weight to APPEAR to be unchanged for a period of a few weeks ESPECIALLY after a period of rapid loss.

When adding new exercise it is PERFECTLY normal for your weight to go up because of increased water retention; this is NOT because of an increase in fat.

You are perfectly correct in fearing that you are over-doing your deficits and that the way forward involves BOTH more food than what you have been eating AND SLOWER losses.

And yes, you are probably under-estimating your intake and over-estimating your calories out.

However SIX MONTHS of losses at 1.44lbs a week argues, strongly, that a deficit of ~750 Cal a day used to be there... and has now gotten smaller both because you've lost some weight AND because your deficits may have been excessive.

Get a weight trend application. Keep eating at a deficit. Keep losing weight. Slower.

The way forward is going to be slower, and it SHOULD be, unless you particularly enjoy the thought of losing lean mass as opposed to fat.

So make sure you spend the time acquiring the skills you're going to need to ensure you keep off the ~37.5lbs you've already dropped!!!