WORKING OUT EVERYDAY??

Options
2»

Replies

• arthurtom
    Options
    Working out everyday is tiresome and not healthy.
    Totally disagree. You can workout everyday as long as you get ENOUGH REST, recovery and nutrition.

Totally agree.

When someone tells me their workout is tiresome, chances are they are cutting too far back on their calories in an attempt to lose weight and instead their body stores whatever the eat as fat and slows their metabolism WAYYYY DOWN so even ordinary tasks seem tiresome.

Mon-Wed-Fri circuit strength training (HIIT)
    Tue-Thurs-Sat 30 mins each cross trainer, elliptical, track, pool.
    Average daily caloric intake 3400.
    Always full of energy, workouts never seem tiresome.
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I work out every day but i am not doing it for hours! I couldnt cope with 3 BIG sessions, i have an incredibly short attention span and just wouldnt do it.
    I do about 30mins on the elliptical every morning (or if im busy try to fast walk 45 mins in the evening) and also try to do about 10-15mins of pushups or sit ups or whatever.
    I suppose the busier days when im just walking would be my rest days? But i try to move every day. I think rest days would work well for someone who is training for a marathon or doing some serious weight lifting!
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I aim to burn 3,500 calories per week. I try to take a day or two off in there, and do about 700 a day for five days.

You'll find, though, when you're tired, if you just get up and do it, you'll suddenly have energy,

i completely agree
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    if you are so busy running around during the day that you can't find the time to exercise, then guess what, you're probably burning more calories than usual anyway. It's not like you are laying in bed all day choosing not to exercise. I used to work out 7 days a week. I eventually accepted that that was too much for me and I dropped it to 6. Now that I am at a happy weight and maintaining, I have dropped it to 5 days a week and that really works for me. As long as I was seeing positive results, the guilt about not working out every single day eventually went away. Don't be so hard on yourself. Work out when you can and make them count!!!
  • yumyum613
    yumyum613 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There was a time where I was doing 5 days a week but then I would burn out. Plus, I was going to bed at 8 so I could get up at 4 for the gym--yes, I know, insane!!! Since Jan. 1 though, I've decided to just go every other day. There are nights where I like to stay up later and I like the flexibility that every other day affords. I find that every other day just keeps me motivated. This is only me though--I find that I don't burn out by going all the time and keeps me going. I've now gotten back into spin classes again so that has made me really excited to get to the gym.

In general, it's what works for YOU. I don't think that I need to work out like a fiend to achieve my weight loss goals so I don't. If I have an important dinner or meeting to go to and I can't make it to the gym when I'm supposed to go, I don't beat myself up for it. I just go the following morning instead. There was a time where I would just give up, but now I recognize that I have to do this for life (especially after I was diagnosed with diabetes two years ago), so I just get back on the horse when I can. Giddy up!
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yep - every day! Run some days, bike on the roads other days, mix in some trail biking, treadmill for rainy days, walk my dog at least twice every day.

Just mix it up to vary the activity, and you'll stay injury-free and be in great shape.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I work out at least 3 days per week, sometimes as much as 7 days and anywhere in between - it all depends on what's going on in my life, how I'm feeling, if I really need to burn the calories based on my food plan for the day, etc.

MFP already gives you a calorie deficit so you could lose without exercise if you stay on plan every day. However, exercise is really good for you and will help with stress once you start school so it would be great for you to commit to doing something at least 3 times per week, more if you can. It might be tough at first but I'm certain once you get yourself settled into your new routine, it'll be easy. Not sure if you're going back to school or if you're a freshman but who knows, maybe you can make new friends by organizing walks or getting people interested in a fitness class or whatever... You can do it!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I always listen to my body. Usually my body is asking for more exercise, so I do it! After work M-F I always look forward to working out, but there's an occasional day that I'm just too tired, so I won't. Saturdays and Sundays it depends on how busy I am. I go on a lot of weekend trips where I'm usually active, even if I'm not "working out". Some weeks I work out every day of the week, some weeks I take 1-2 "rest" days, but usually those rest days include at least a good walk, if nothing else.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I am too busy to work out every day, so I only work out on days that ends in "day". Even if it is just a brisk walk for 10 minutes, gotta do something.
  • bcatalano89
    Options
    I try to work out everyday but being a grad student and working a ton, there is not much time. On the days that I dont have time or i know i'm not going to i make sure some kind of movement was done. I always try and take the stairs instead of the elevator, walk every isle in the food store, do a couple sets of crunches squats and/or push ups during commercials when watching tv. Even gardening, mowing the lawn, or cleaning the house is good just to get me moving. So if you have a hectic schedule fit in workouts when you can, you dont want to burn yourself out.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I plan on getting a workout in every day, but I don't kick myself if it doesn't happen. This weekend, for example, I probably won't be spending any quality time with Jillian. :D

I just know that I feel better on days that I work out, and I know I sleep better. Plus, I eat differently when I work out because I eat back my exercise calories. When I don't work out, I have to plan accordingly. I can do it and it's fine, but sometimes it's a little more of a challenge.
  • ArlVAMom
    ArlVAMom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am training for a triathlon and I am aiming for 1 rest day a week, if that. My workouts are not long. I almost always get up and do them in the morning. I have two little kids and work full time. Maybe 1-2 days a week my hubby and I take turns going for a run after we get home from work.
    This week:
    Sun - run 3 miles, 37 minutes
    Mon - rest
    Tues - run 2.6 miles, 30 minutes
    Weds - got up early and did bike ride, 7 miles of hills, 37 minutes
    Thurs - swim, 600 yards, 15 minutes, plus playing in the pool (this was after work before dinner. what a great way to end the day!)
    Frid - bike to work and back. total 15 miles, takes 35 minutes to get to work and 50 to get home. same time my normal commute takes me.

I also like to get up early and do a workout video. No matter what, I almost always feel like crap when I fall out of bed, but I feel GREAT after getting a workout in. Then you can go about your day and feel awesome!

If you are interested in running try the Couch to 5K program - very gradual and gets you up to running for 1/2 an hour.
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    I work out 3-4 times a week.
    I actually don't think it's healthy to do a vigorous workout every single day. Your body needs at least one day to recuperate.
  • klabeau
    klabeau Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I agree with knowing your limit!
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    <
    works out every day, several days I do it twice.

Do it. This is your life.

I love this and I agree 100%

You just gotta do what you gotta do...

I workout every day... (a minimum of 80 minutes of cardio) somedays I workout up to 3 times a day burning a max of 2,500 cals... Intense but I push myself because I set high goals and I want the results