How to work out breastfeeding calories

Options
Hey there,

I am breastfeeding my 7 month old. Do I need to add the correct catagory in the breastfeeding options to each meal in my diary?

Also, do I need to consume all my additional calories from excercise too?

Thanks

Alex

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    No, you just add it to your food or exercise diary once for the day.

Yes, you need to eat all those calories. Not everyone around here does, but it's especially important for breastfeeding moms to eat all those calories. If you eat too little, it may impact your supply.
  • JackyNL
    JackyNL Posts: 1
    Options
    Average you burn about 300 - 400 calories extra a day breastfeeding.
    And I agree with ajbeans, it is very important to eat those extra calories.
    I will promise, keep on going till 12 months, and the baby weight will go, both you and your lil one will be VERY healthy!

GOOD JOB ALEX!!!
  • jmcholden
    jmcholden Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Your doctor knows what is best, and I know you are probably anxious to lose those extra pounds, but I did not diet at all while breastfeeding- and still lost weight. Bresat feeding on it's own is like dieting. Be careful.
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My son is 9 mos and I eat 1550 and eat ALL my exercise cals, usually netting around 1800 or more. It seems like a lot but you are burning 300-500 cals a day bf-ing depending how much solid food your lo is taking. I lost 20 lbs on here just tracking and being accountable for what I eat. There is an option in the database if you type "breastfeeding" you can chose exclusive, or older child or even by ounce. Just don't try to eat 1200 cals day please!
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Oh and if you choose "breastfeeding exclusively" which is 500 cals you can just do it once a day at breakfast for ex, add that to the 1200 MFP will proba ly allot you.