Carbs/Proteinn

Options
BigD06
BigD06 Posts: 130 Member
Hello people....

To what extent do most of you all add carbs to your preworkout routine or meal for heavy weight on lifting days? It's a difficult balance to cut fat and gain muscle, but I believe about about to start cutting down on cardio and devoting 85% of my workout to lifting....current I'm around 50/50....

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I eat oatcakes and peanut butter about an hour before a heavy sess (for me anyway), and usually have a banana or sugary protein shake during the workout. It was never an issue for me with cardio, but I have to fuel my lifting sessions otherwise I crash early. And I’m a newbie and lift light at the moment.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I do well eating a good sized balanced meal, waiting a couple of hours then lift. I can do moderate fasted cardio without any food, but for lifting I need the fuel.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What works for me.. a heavy carb breakfast, a second meal/snack with about 30-60g, 1.5h before, then about 20g carbs pre and during my lifting (candy or dried fruit).

To lose fat and gain muscle your main priorities will be eating around maintenance, getting adequate protein (0.8-1g per lb bodyweight) and progressive lifting.
  • BigD06
    BigD06 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    All this is what I was thinking, but just wanted to make sure I was headed the right way.