The more water I drink the thirstier I get?

Options
I'm not sure why this is happening. Before I started this new healthy lifestyle, I rarely ever even drank water and didn't seem to ever be thirsty.
Now, I am thirstier than ever and am now drinking more than 100 oz.a day. some days.
Anybody else experience this phenomenon or have a scientific reason for why this is happening?

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    When I first increased my water intake I was going to the bathroom every 15-30min and always thirsty. Then my body adjusted. Now I drink 60-100oz a day depending on how hot it is out and what I’m doing without any of that.

Is this new for you? Have you also increased activity?
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    NewChapterInMyLife Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's about 9 consistent days in for me. I did start exercising again, a 30 min walk every night coming from no exercise at all. It is pretty warm here too. Refusing to turn on the A/C just yet.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    You body can get overly hydrated with too much water. hyponatremia, or sometimes called water toxicity. Too much water can replenish the salt in your body to a dangerous level. People have actually died from it.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Deplete, not replenish.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's about 9 consistent days in for me. I did start exercising again, a 30 min walk every night coming from no exercise at all. It is pretty warm here too. Refusing to turn on the A/C just yet.

It took my body 2-3 weeks to adjust. However, if you’re getting headaches or it continues I would have to agree with the poster who mentioned too much can lead to dehydration. Our bodies are all different so you may be drinking too much for your body
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    NewChapterInMyLife Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Haven't been to a doctor in a long time. I don't like going and am uninsured. I go when it's an emergency. Hopefully not diabetes. I'll keep an eye on it.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I would cut back a little. And/or add in electrolytes, as you might be depleted, which can manifest as thirst. Also, if you are still thirsty after those, definitely follow up for diabetes. Watch for screenings at your local clinics or look up health fairs in your area.
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You're washing the electrolytes out of your body. Like everything in life, there's a balance to keep. Drink ENOUGH water.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I'm at about 100 oz per day too, which is a safe amount, but did have periods when I barely drank any... and then when I did increase water intake, I became thirsty all the time for about 2 weeks. I suppose drinking more water comes with an adaptation period. Might want to give course to the suggestions above about electrolytes. Grab a banana, drink lemonade, make sure you get your dailies of Magnesium, Calcium, Sodium.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me when I increase my water intake. I'm peeing every 15-30 minutes, and am more thirsty as well. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, as I'm not a doctor. This is just how I understand what is happening, and how it has been explained to me. When the body is used to drinking small amounts of water, it tends to store the water it gets within the body. So, when you increase you're water intake, it begins to flush out the water it's retaining as it no longer needs to hold onto it as it is properly hydrated. That's why you have an increase in urination for the first few weeks. Since the body is now flushing it's excess water, it's going to demand more to stay hydrated. It should level out in a couple of weeks to where you're not peeing constantly and thirsty all the time. A good way to know if you are getting enough water is to check the color of your pee. the darker it is, the more dehydrated you are. And, the lighter the color the more hydrated you are. I would agree with other posters, and make sure you are getting your electrolytes. Propel sells drink packets that are low in calories and would make getting them convenient.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I sometimes drink G2 Gatorade, the one with less sugar than regular Gatorade. A twelve ounce bottle has 30 calories and contains sodium, potassium and gets those electrolytes in. I usually drink it on hot days where I've exercised pretty strenuously, and I think it helps. It is, in fact, thirst quenching for me.
  • sander1887
    sander1887 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this and what helps is salt. But salty liquid helps much more than salty foods.

This probably sounds weird but the absolute best thing I've found is the liquid from a pickle jar! I'll drink just a mouthful of that and I'll be good for weeks.

Otherwise water will decimate me, making me thirstier, have really dry mouth and go through my body immediately.

I hope this helps somebody :)