How can I avoid getting exercise induced rhabdo again.

Options
TeQuieroNelly
TeQuieroNelly Posts: 4 Member
edited May 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello, I am 27 years old. 5’4 155lbs. Pre-rhabdo weight was 143. I was diagnosed in oct with exercise induced rhabdo during a 12-mile, 35lb ruck march. I got to mile 10 and started feeling extreme cramping in my quads. I was told that I may have been overtraining. I regularly do crossfit and on fridays I would ruck march 6-10 miles. I always think, if I can do 10 then I can do 12. I have completed a 12-mile ruck before but it was in 2016. I want to start training again for another ruck but unsure on how I should train. I was completely cleared to exercise without limitations in feb. I did the crossfit open and now I’m only doing moderate weight lighting, yoga, and running. Any advice?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    You might try emailing your doctor that question. Personally i'd ramp up slowly in miles & weight in the weeks prior. Stick to a written plan. Adequate hydration & electrolytes to prevent cramping, which can induce rhabdo. Don't do low carb or low calories. Don't do crossfit the day before long marches.
    I'd get a blood test periodically to confirm the kidneys are working well.

Did you take any supplements or medications?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    This is another, "ask your doctor" question. If you can't get what seems to be a knowledgable answer, try to get a second opinion. My first thought would be to lower the intensity of training, also making sure you're getting enough electrolytes but that's only a somewhat educated guess.

This article might be a good start but it's not an excuse to not seek one or more opinions qualified doctor(s).
  • TeQuieroNelly
    TeQuieroNelly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks! The only supplements I take are Xtend BCAAs and Whey Protien. I talked to my doc. They told me I’m perfectly healthy now that I have rested for 4 months. I drink over a gallon of water a day. I think I’ll do heavy slow/long marches in the beginning and gradually increase my pace.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am curious.
    Did anyone ever tell you whether, because you developed rhabdo once, you were likely to develop it again. I mean, are certain people more prone?
    I ask because rhabdo is pretty rare. I am not expert. But I would guess you are pretty safe as long as you increase your intensity and distances gradually.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Don't do crossfit. Problem solved.