What’s your favorite English “accent”?

Options
elisaortiz514
elisaortiz514 Posts: 31 Member
I LOVE the way the Welsh and Irish speak English, it’s so sexy! Think James McAvoy....

How do my non American friends feel about American English?

To my American friends, YouTube “what English sounds like to those who can’t speak it”
Mind f***

Replies

• elisaortiz514
    Options
    I LOVE the way the Welsh and Irish speak English, it’s so sexy! Think James McAvoy....

How do my non American friends feel about American English?

To my American friends, YouTube “what English sounds like to those who can’t speak it”
    Mind f***

James McAvoy is Scottish :p

But I definitely agree. I love a good British accent on a man.
    Oh yes you’re right!
    Man I need to get my *kitten* to Europe, fast lol! I’ve never been so far
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I like all accents...anything that sticks out to me as an "accent" is super interesting....except for the dreaded Canadian "hoser" accent...I hate it with a passion
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    Favourite is South African....to me sounds like English/Australian
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    As a South African, my favourite accent is anything that does not sound South African!!!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I love the way Americans speak. Their inflections can be mesmerising. Add a southern lilt to it ... Melting.

The varied dialects are interesting to listen to, as many carry admixtures of their root base languages from the UK ... Combinations really, Scot/Irish, English/Irish, ... I had to travel south of Los Angeles to hear the melding of Danish/English, Icelandic/Irish or even the mentioned European root dialects with an American drawl. South of Los Angeles, one could assume you're in Tennessee, Alabama, Texas and Montana. The North Eastern seaboard accents are rare here. They get a hug from my sister and I when we hear them speak. They were our first home States for a while there.

ETA: Male vocal chords here are so developed, it makes your spine tingle, buzz and hum.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I’ll just leave this here. Not all accepts are keepers.

• Vikka_V
    edited June 2018
    Options
    For that matter @slimgirljo15 are there different regional accents in Australia? Curious now because I can't say that I've noticed...not that I know where the Australians I've met are from exactly.

Ok so now I want everyone to talk again!!

Voice thread needs to be resuscitated!!
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    I live in Canada and we have a variety of regional accents, I imagine every country does.

My favourite Canadian accent is that Alberta prairie drawl and East coast, especially Newfoundland...so unique.
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I remember from the voice thread @just_ash had the coolest accent and voice. Very Benedict Cumberbatch like......
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    There's no "American accent", you can visit all the states and everyone has their own "accent" which shouldn't surprise you as this is a nation of immigrants but I remember watching a video about accents in my Linguist class and the accent you probably associate with America is the one you see in the movies which would be the accent from the Midwest states.
  • princess7955
    princess7955 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Changed my Siri voice on my phone to be a British male voice...he’s pretty cool, and always remembers my name. :#
  • elisaortiz514
    Options
    There's no "American accent", you can visit all the states and everyone has their own "accent" which shouldn't surprise you as this is a nation of immigrants but I remember watching a video about accents in my Linguist class and the accent you probably associate with America is the one you see in the movies which would be the accent from the Midwest states.
    Yes, very true! Even here in Chicago there are certain distinctions from other parts of Illinois. And yeah I had a midwestern accent in mind lol

• elisaortiz514
    Options
    Appalachian mountain speech.
    Lol I just looked it up! Cool stuff
  • elisaortiz514
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I live in Canada and we have a variety of regional accents, I imagine every country does.

My favourite Canadian accent is that Alberta prairie drawl and East coast, especially Newfoundland...so unique.
    Im definitely YouTubing that later lol
  • elisaortiz514
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Man I used to love English accents but for some reason now they annoy me!
  • elisaortiz514
    Options
    I love the way Americans speak. Their inflections can be mesmerising. Add a southern lilt to it ... Melting.

The varied dialects are interesting to listen to, as many carry admixtures of their root base languages from the UK ... Combinations really, Scot/Irish, English/Irish, ... I had to travel south of Los Angeles to hear the melding of Danish/English, Icelandic/Irish or even the mentioned European root dialects with an American drawl. South of Los Angeles, one could assume you're in Tennessee, Alabama, Texas and Montana. The North Eastern seaboard accents are rare here. They get a hug from my sister and I when we hear them speak. They were our first home States for a while there.

ETA: Male vocal chords here are so developed, it makes your spine tingle, buzz and hum.

I love everything you just wrote haha
    Ever been to Chicago?
    I love accents from New Jersey & New York
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I love the Irish, Scottish, kiwi accents and inflections. I can't do them unfortunately.

Don't particularly care for the NY accent but I find the southern "softness" in American English very very nice. I am aware there's a million accents in the US, and what little gets to this side of the world is mostly just good actor/news anchor diction.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif