What healthy ranges should I be aiming for?

Options
Hi I am a 42 yr old female, 5ft1 does anyone know what body fat %, body water %, and muscle mass % ranges I should be aiming for.
Thanks in advance

Replies

• harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hi Paula. Sorry I don't know the answer..BUT there have been posts where people have shown before and after pics of lifting and often their weight goes up but the body looks much more toned. I have no idea how much you weigh but I would look in the mirror (not being sarcastic here) and if you are softer than you like keep going for that tone. Sorry but that is what I will do.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That depends on where you are now, and where you want to be. If you're out of shape and overweight, just hitting normal weight, will be a good goal. If you're already normal weight, you can still improve your physique, endurance, strength. It's usually when you're fit and athletic and participating in competitions, that you'll be looking at numbers like that, and still, there's just so much you can do to control those numbers - and still, there's a lot you can do - you lose weight (fat) when you're eating in a deficit, you build muscle mass when you eat in a slight surplus, get enough proteing, and challenge those muscles. TLDR, don't focus on unnecessary details, focus on healthy habits.
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I had no idea what body fat percentage to aim for, but the default on my Fitbit is 25%. Go for that, and reduce further (or not!) depending on how you feel/look when you get there!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    alxge56 wrote: »
    Hi Paula Garmin weigh scale $200 will give you the answer partly. If you are high BMI due to fat deposition on belly get good low carb diet plan (CSIRO book) I lost 3 kg in last 4 weeks with lots of walking and fitness plans

I started at a BMI of 40 and lost fine without going low carb

OP, there are photos online of how people look at different body fat percentages. Your best bet is to figure out what aesthetic you’re aiming for.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I think average for a woman is mid 20s for BF%.
    I don't know what "normal" is for the other measurements.

Keep in mind if you are using a scale to get those measures, they aren't super accurate and are easily thrown off by water weight fluctuations and your individual fat distribution.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Hi I am a 42 yr old female, 5ft1 does anyone know what body fat %, body water %, and muscle mass % ranges I should be aiming for.
    Thanks in advance

its going to be different for everyone based on ther goals and so on. I dont think its a one size fits all percentage for any of those things.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    OP you might find this of interest. Keep in mind we all have different body shapes/sizes, and genetics that determine body fat distribution, abilities to build muscle etc.

https://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/