Starting my weight loss journey

Options
annadinaro
annadinaro Posts: 1 Member
I am a full time working mom of two toddlers. After my first pregnancy I found out I had hypothyroidism and had gained a lot of weight. Since then I’ve been struggling with weight gain and feeling unhealthy. Today I’ve decided it’s ends here. I want to get back into my healthy body and healthful lifestyle, so I can get my kids on the right track from young age. My husband is in the same boat with me and hopefully working as a team will make us more successful!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Good work seeing potential obstacles.

Just a recommendation - set MFP to Lightly-Active activity level - since you are with 2 kids and household duties, no matter if a desk job.
    If a standing active job - probably Active then.

And get hubby up to that same level by making sure he helps out around the house too.
    Team for sure helps in this regarding - not so annoying when you want to take time to weigh food while prepping or serving, to get good calorie counts.

• arun_sankar
    arun_sankar Posts: 17 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    All the very best! Around an year back, I started my weight loss journey. I never thought I could do this but an year later I've lost around 24 kgs and life feels all the more effortless. Thanks to MFP and my Apple watch!. Keep motivated, set realistic goals, take small steps rather than big leaps. Am sure you'll get there!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Is your thyroid condition now well controlled? If not, that could be why you've been struggling.

Otherwise, be consistent and patient, don't compare your progress with your hubby's (he prob will lose faster, just accept that), and good luck!
  • Garnersgirl
    Garnersgirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I am sure that you will be successful.
  • Jeeplet18
    Jeeplet18 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP - Good luck on your goals! You can do it! I am happy to hear your husband is there with you, that makes such a huge difference! I am starting fresh and ready to make some progress bettering myself - we can do it together! ❤︎
  • shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I would recommend that you make the most of the MFP tools and the community of support here. If you fill out some of your profile and add some friends, I think you'll find a fantastic group of people to help motivate and inspire you!
  • ksumindysue
    ksumindysue Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was there - a full-time working mom of three kids ages 7 and under when I started almost 4 years ago. You can do this! I did not have my husband working with me, so you have an advantage there. Stay consistent, and you will see results :)
  • quzy07
    quzy07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You are so smart to start now! I waited until my twins were 15 before really cracking down and by then I had gained 100 pounds! It took me two years, but I've since lost it, but in that time I didn't have the energy or fitness I really craved. Cheering you on!!
  • Bemaashka
    Bemaashka Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am restarting MFP 3rd time and hope this time I will continue to succeed for entry and healthy eating to lose weight. I m overweight by 41 lbs and lost 10 lbs since 11/2016 and then stuck for couple of months not loosing weight and came back to same old habits. I am so stuck with healthy routine eating and keep up for exercise
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    bmaaavia1 wrote: »
    I am restarting MFP 3rd time and hope this time I will continue to succeed for entry and healthy eating to lose weight. I m overweight by 41 lbs and lost 10 lbs since 11/2016 and then stuck for couple of months not loosing weight and came back to same old habits. I am so stuck with healthy routine eating and keep up for exercise

weight loss comes from a deficit of calories. not healthy eating or even exercise. you can lost weight without exericse but exercise makes you stronger,increases stamin and helps your body look better. everything in moderation as long as you are eating in a deficit you will lose weight
  • scarla67
    scarla67 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Like noted above, keep strict food diet and chart food WHEN you eat it. It is very easy to forget items if you wait.
  • scooter825
    scooter825 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Welcome, you'll do great. I'm actually not a big fan of CICO methodology of weight loss, you'll have much greater success with tracking your macro's and keeping carbohydrates under 25g a day. Exercise is also important and will keep your metabolism high and muscles toned, and these muscles will consume a lot of the calories that you eat.
  • ajward1975
    ajward1975 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Persistence is the key. I'm also a firm believer that the food diary is essential. I started a little over 5 weeks ago and I'm down 29 lbs. I incorporated walking into my everyday routine. I walked slow at first and was out of breath on hills, but I just kept putting one foot in front of the other. I'm now walking/running between 2-3 miles four times a week. It will get easier, but the struggle is real for the first few weeks. You have to acquire that mindset that you are sick and tired of feeling sick and tired, almost like you're mad!! Keep plugging along and it will happen for you! Good luck!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    scooter825 wrote: »
    Welcome, you'll do great. I'm actually not a big fan of CICO methodology of weight loss, you'll have much greater success with tracking your macro's and keeping carbohydrates under 25g a day. Exercise is also important and will keep your metabolism high and muscles toned, and these muscles will consume a lot of the calories that you eat.

any way of eating when it comes to weight loss comes down to CICO. its all an energy balance. if you eat more than you burn you gain weight,less you lose and if its the same you maintain weight. There is also no reason to eat less than 25g or carbs a day unless you want to or have a health issue. many people will find their exercise suffers from too low of carb intake. you dont keep muscles toned. you cant tone a muscle. you look more tone by having muscle and losing fat over it to get that lean look. and if you track macros you are basically counting calories as your macro counts make up your calorie count.
  • natkap2018
    natkap2018 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello I m new here and I would like to know what do you guys eat or not especially in the morning, whats for you the best way to stop sugar, I like hot drinks in the morning like Red Tea or coffee but its hard without sugar and I can easily drink 4 or 5 cups a day... I need your experience and suggestions, please. Thanks to all of you!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    scooter825 wrote: »

^ Ignore this advice.

1) CICO is not a "methodology". It's an acronym which describes the law of energy balance.

2) Calories are what matter for weight loss, period.

3) If you eat <25g of carbs per day but are consuming more calories than you are expending, you will gain weight. Keto is not magic and does not defy the laws of energy balance. You still have to eat less calories than you burn.

4) A pound of fat burns about 2 calories per day and a pound of muscle burns about 6 calories per day, and you're not going to add a significant amount of muscle while trying to lose weight. Your brain, liver, kidneys and heart account for 70-80% of your resting energy expenditure, and all of them burn many times more calories than your muscles do.

5) There is no such thing as "toning" a muscle. You can make it larger (hypertrophy) or smaller (atrophy), but you can't "tone" it. "Toning muscles" is something you see in women's magazines and '70s fitness mags.