Handwriting Talk

Options
Maximus
Maximus Posts: 12,256 Member
With the use of keyboards and texting, less and less communication is done via handwriting. In fact, some schools no longer teach kids how to write in cursive.

How often do you write? Print vs Cursive? What is your signature like? If you are left handed, do you write with your hand upside down?

Discuss.

Replies

• NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I always print. I can write in cursive, however it's fairly atrocious. In fact I was the only child in my 6th grade class to not receive the 'Handwriting Award' certificate with the scratch-n-sniff grape sticker on it. I believe it has scarred me for life.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    My handwriting is a mixture of print & cursive...probably "against the rules of writing", lol
  • CassandreNoreen
    CassandreNoreen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I usually write in cursive, and I am left handed, but I don't turn my hand upside down, I kind of scrunch it up to try and avoid having pen marks all over the place (although usually unsuccessfully).
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I was taught cursive, but chose print. My signature is 100% readable, it's my name LOL not a scribble :-P
    I have to write somethings in college, and i write my grocery list and workouts haha.
  • PattyCake123
    PattyCake123 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It's a shame that handwritten things have taken such a back seat to technology. I write in a mix of cursive and print when taking notes or writing fast, but stick to cursive for personal things. I keep a journal and I write back and forth with my Grandma, who lives in a different city.
  • hotpot83
    hotpot83 Posts: 88
    Options
    I write in cursive, right handed.. I spend alot of my working day writing- I look after young people with autism who have data book and we need to write a paragraph or so for each hour of the day.. I adore my handwriting :)
  • Marthae68
    Options
    I enjoy writing and I do so in cursive. If I have to write a quick note - then it's a combination of both. I have nice cursive handwriting - I need to do a better job at writing to friends and family...and let the words flow. :-)
  • rainydayducki
    Options
    I am left-handed. I handwrite at least one hour a day... I write in both cursive and print, I have a real signature, and I do not "hook" my hand over the top of the page to write. :) All of my siblings are left handed and we all write just like a right-handed person would.
  • scubacat
    scubacat Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have my own print/cursive hybrid. I'm right handed and as strange as it sounds, I like watching myself write.
  • Quiltmania
    Options
    With the use of keyboards and texting, less and less communication is done via handwriting. In fact, some schools no longer teach kids how to write in cursive.

How often do you write? Print vs Cursive? What is your signature like? If you are left handed, do you write with your hand upside down?

Discuss.

I generally print, but then I work with Kdg-3rd grade students. I write all the time; I rarely text and, yes, I still write letters. Michigan (where I teach) still has handwriting in the curriculum but it does get put on the back burner because the curriculum is so huge that there just isn't time to do everything. My husband and youger son are both left-handed and I have had many left-handed students and none of them have the inverted hand position that used to be so common. I haven't seen that hand position for many years.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i tend to write in a cursive/print hybrid - but when i straight print, it's in all caps. *shrug* my handwriting - i am told - is really nice. my signature? Rockstar, all the way! LOL.
  • Bigmomma0u812
    Options
    I work with kids now in an after school program and while helping some of the 4th graders with their homework I noticed that they can't write in cursive. I was shocked that in 4th grade they haven't been taught. I was thinking we started in 3rd grade when I was young. I never really thought about technology being involved with this.

I love to write. My sister and I still write letters even though we type to each other all the time. I write cursive for speed and I print when I want it to look pretty. My signature is very legible. When my husband signs his name however you get the first letter of his first name and the rest is just chicken scratch. To each their own! :)
  • AislingD
    AislingD Posts: 11
    Options
    Im left handed. I write mostly in print and i dont turn my wrist upside down, i actually turn the page so its sitting at a 45 degree angle away from me, so the top of the page is pointing to 1o.clock......if that makes sense, lol. My handwriting is small and pretty neat for a lefty, most of the leftys i know (and surprisingly, thats a lot) have shocking bad handwriting! :)
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I write in cursive. I like my handwriting. My signature is pretty literate - but not easy to copy!! Lol..

I work on computers all day, as do all of my work mates. When I have to get someone to hand write something I am usually shocked at how childish their handwriting is. Given that most of the people in my dept are 10 yrs or more younger than me, I think it must be something to do with their schooling in writing.

For me (early 40's) handwriting was very important in school.

Another thing that really annoys me is when I get an email in "text" language. Or an email with no punctuation what so ever.. Have people forgotten about full stops, commas or capital letters... Gggrrr.. So unprofessional..

I think the importance of reading and writing are being forgotten.. Most people I know don't read books?? I find that shocking.. I'd be lost without a book. I've thousands of them. I love the other "life" they give me.. Books are always better that the film - mainly because your imagination is better than anything else.. Plus you learn so much from books..

And the more you read, the more you realise how important punctuation is..

Whine over with.. Love handwriting.. Love finding letters my father wrote (he passed away 14 yrs ago).. Its like its a piece of him still here.. And old letters written by grandparents etc.. Something real in their handwriting.. Treasures to me..
  • BlueAventer
    Options
    I will not do what you say. Happy Friday.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Print/cursive hybrid. I dont write nearly as often as I used to so its a touch sloppier anymore. Im a note sender though... try and mail off a couple every week.
  • Mveler
    Mveler Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My teenage sons handwriting is awful! I however love to write and mostly in cursive. I have one lefty, one righty and one ambidextrous child. They all alter the paper to suit them but the production is something scary.

I admit, I do no "write" as often as I once did. This year was the first year when going to schools orientation that I was asked to use a computer (of the tons provided) to fill out the ordinary paperwork (IE Emergency forms, handbook approval etc) I was shocked. I suppose it is because they have to get it in there anyway, so why not have the parents do it to save them some time?
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I kind of do a mixture of printing and cursive. I start out printing but sometimes it morphs a little bit. We homeschool and teach cursive to all the kids. My son is left handed and his handwriting is awful! I've been making him do penmanship all year but it doesn't seem to have helped much, lol. We'll keep working on it in the hopes it resembles the English language at some point but right now it looks like some sort of alien writing.