Not losing weight very fast

Options
So I'm 5'4". Starting weight 173, currently 169. I've been on MFP for almost a month and I'm just wondering why the weight isn't coming off faster. I eat between 1200-1400 calories per day, drink tons of water and exercise 5-6 times per week burning on average 500 calories per time. Any thoughts or suggestions as to why the weight isn't coming off faster?

Replies

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that you've lost 4 pounds in almost a month? That seems pretty good to me...
  • saadler
    saadler Posts: 116
    Options
    Are you taking your measurements? You might be building muscle with the exercise and so the weight loss is evening out with muscle weight gain. You may be losing inches though.
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    Slow and steady is the way to go. I know its frustrating but its the truth. If you lose too much weight at once then you have a higher chance of putting it back on. If you just started it might take a month or two to kick it into gear. Just hang in there, keep at it. If you lose only a half a pound to a pound a week celebrate it because it may not feel like it but that is a BIG success!

Those who are the most successful at weight loss are those that finally get it in their head that you can't lose 10 pounds in one week. :smile: Trust me, in all my failed attempts before MFP I was one of those people.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    "I just wanted to post something about what to expect during the phases of weight loss.

Overview (why I'm posting this)
    Over the course of about 7 months on here, I have seen many people suceed, I have also seen some drop off the map. I expect this is because some succumb to the demon that is temptation, and some to the devil that is dissapointment. I wanted to give a few "heads up"s to both new commers and vetrans to the site. Some may know already, some may not. But either way, if this helps anyone to set more realistic goals in their own head, I feel like it has done it's job.

Phase 1. The start of a brand new day! (or week, or month, or year)
    Expectations are sky high, usually so is motivation and intentions. This is where most people lose the most weight. At the start it's not uncommon to see 4 to 8 lb losses per week. The reasons for this are mostly (sorry to disappoint) water weight. You drop excess water quickly, and you can have up to 5 lbs of water weight. The next biggest reason is the fat that is right next to the blood vessels, the stuff that you put on in the last month or three, it will melt like butter usually.

Phase 2. Reality setting in.
    At about week 3 to a month or so, people suddenly realize that they are no longer dropping 8, 6, or even 4 lbs a week. This is a crutial phase in your journey. Expect this, it is natural. You have shocked your body by changing both eating habits and exercise routine. Now it has had a little while to become used to the new lifestyle, it's going to compensate. Your body still doesn't believe it's permenant yet, so it will still try to store some fat, so now that it knows how to regulate it's new metabolic levels, it tryies to store fat in earnest. It's not uncommon for people to hit a wall here, no loss for weeks. Expect this as well.

Phase 3. The routine.
    At about 2 months or so, your routine is pretty much set, your body is beginning to believe that you really want to STAY the way you are going now. You will start to see more consistant (but lower, usually 1 to 2 lbs a week) loss, also, you should start seeing some muscle tone (depending on how much you had to lose in the first place). If you stop to think, you should realize that you have improved dramatically in your exercise levels. If you do cardio, you should notice how much longer and harder you can work. This is important to realize as it is just as big of an indicator as weight loss. Also, by now you may notice that your clothes no longer fit right. This is also very important. The weight may not be falling off anymore, but you are becomming a smaller person. Weight is arbitrary, if you are building muscle (which your body is doing at a furious pace by now) you won't notice huge losses, but you will notice wholesale changes in the mirror!

Phase 4. Really digging in.
    This is where the second wall can happen. You're probably at between 3 and 4 months by now, and if you have gone this far, you feel like you have already suceeded. This is where many people stumble. they are tired of the routine, tired of eating different things from all their friends, limiting their alcohol intake. Basically the shine has worn off. this is when your really need to plant your feet. Maybe change up your exercise routine, make a concentrated effort to find different, but still nutritional food. Talk to people. And examine how far you have come. At this point, no matter how much external motivation you receive, it's all about believing in yourself!

Phase 5. End game.
    5 or 6 months in you are probably working on that "last 10 pounds". This can be discouraging for many as it is a slow burn. Remember, your body probably feels like it is where it needs to be, your brain might think you need to lose 10 more, but your body is quite proud of itself now, it feels like it has "Done enough" and it wants to stay RIGHT HERE. The body LIKES to have a little fat around just in case, especially for the ladies (sorry girls, it's just human physiology). If you feel like you still need to lose it, prepare yourself for some guerrila warfare against your body. Design an exercise regimen that is very dynamic, forget the "same thing every day". Make a plan that challenges you both physically and mentally. Make sure you give yourself a day off here and there to just veg. And by all means, remember, muscle burns fat at rest. So get some weight or resistance training involved.
    The last 10 may take 3 to 6 months to lose. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it's true. And forget the idea of increasing your calorie deficite, healthy bodies need good nutrition, your body no longer has the fat reserves to handle the large deficites you could when you were 30 40 or 50 pounds overweight. Better to make it a 3 or 400 calorie deficite (NET, please count your exercise calories too!). It may take a bit longer, but your body will like you for it. Plus it feeds those new muscles and keeps them burning fat, keeps your skin healthy (elasticity is important when you want those places that were stretched out to "snap back") and keeps you from getting head aches and depressed.

Conclusion:

this is what I have learned, not just from my journey, but from others as well on here. It saddens me sometimes to see people hit one of these stages and not recognize it for what it is, a part of the process. If we all can have realistic expectations, then we are more prone to win the fight and stay healthy in the long run. Note that some people will hit these stages harder then others, some may take longer, but for the most part, this is the rule that the exceptions will come from.

Best health to you all!

-Banks "
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    Yeah if you just started almost a month ago and you already lost 4lbs you're doing fine, unfortunately there really isn't a fast way to lose the weight it's a very slow process. If I knew of a way to lose weight faster I'd tell you cause I wish there was lol. Sounds like you are doing fine. I can't see your diary so I can't see what you are eating but watch your sodium intake, that is one thing that has helped me.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    So I'm 5'4". Starting weight 173, currently 169. I've been on MFP for almost a month and I'm just wondering why the weight isn't coming off faster. I eat between 1200-1400 calories per day, drink tons of water and exercise 5-6 times per week burning on average 500 calories per time. Any thoughts or suggestions as to why the weight isn't coming off faster?

That's one pound per week which is outstanding! Don't be discouraged, that is a normal rate of weight loss. Be patient... the weight is coming off and that is a good thing! :)
  • jram70
    jram70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My weight loss goes in cycles it seems. I will lose rapidly (solid 1.5 lbs) a week for a week, two or three, then level off and may even gain a bit, then cycle again with it coming off again. Persistence is the way to go. It will come off.
  • shelleyrrt
    Options
    Sometimes, I've found if I am burning a lot of calories and eating the minimum, it's like my body goes into hoarding mode and holds onto everything. I don't lose very much weight. When that happens to me, I tone down my exercise. I just don't workout as hard. If I want to do a heavy workout and get a good burn, then I make sure to eat something a little sinful that day. It works for me. Hope you don't get discouraged. Keep pushing, it will happen. :)
  • jamesdelong
    jamesdelong Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I didn't get to read the thread but wanted you to know Slow and Steady wins the race. (1-2lbs a week is where it's at)
  • mrdavidjk
    mrdavidjk Posts: 105
    Options
    loosing weight slowly is better than loosing it quickly. you are more likely to keep the weight off.
    i am loosing 1lb a week, but gaining muscle also, so in reality i am loosing more than 1lb of fat./
    take measurements of your arms and legs kneck and waist.
  • jagoochie
    jagoochie Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    "I just wanted to post something about what to expect during the phases of weight loss.

Overview (why I'm posting this)
    Over the course of about 7 months on here, I have seen many people suceed, I have also seen some drop off the map. I expect this is because some succumb to the demon that is temptation, and some to the devil that is dissapointment. I wanted to give a few "heads up"s to both new commers and vetrans to the site. Some may know already, some may not. But either way, if this helps anyone to set more realistic goals in their own head, I feel like it has done it's job.

Phase 1. The start of a brand new day! (or week, or month, or year)
    Expectations are sky high, usually so is motivation and intentions. This is where most people lose the most weight. At the start it's not uncommon to see 4 to 8 lb losses per week. The reasons for this are mostly (sorry to disappoint) water weight. You drop excess water quickly, and you can have up to 5 lbs of water weight. The next biggest reason is the fat that is right next to the blood vessels, the stuff that you put on in the last month or three, it will melt like butter usually.

Phase 2. Reality setting in.
    At about week 3 to a month or so, people suddenly realize that they are no longer dropping 8, 6, or even 4 lbs a week. This is a crutial phase in your journey. Expect this, it is natural. You have shocked your body by changing both eating habits and exercise routine. Now it has had a little while to become used to the new lifestyle, it's going to compensate. Your body still doesn't believe it's permenant yet, so it will still try to store some fat, so now that it knows how to regulate it's new metabolic levels, it tryies to store fat in earnest. It's not uncommon for people to hit a wall here, no loss for weeks. Expect this as well.

Phase 3. The routine.
    At about 2 months or so, your routine is pretty much set, your body is beginning to believe that you really want to STAY the way you are going now. You will start to see more consistant (but lower, usually 1 to 2 lbs a week) loss, also, you should start seeing some muscle tone (depending on how much you had to lose in the first place). If you stop to think, you should realize that you have improved dramatically in your exercise levels. If you do cardio, you should notice how much longer and harder you can work. This is important to realize as it is just as big of an indicator as weight loss. Also, by now you may notice that your clothes no longer fit right. This is also very important. The weight may not be falling off anymore, but you are becomming a smaller person. Weight is arbitrary, if you are building muscle (which your body is doing at a furious pace by now) you won't notice huge losses, but you will notice wholesale changes in the mirror!

Phase 4. Really digging in.
    This is where the second wall can happen. You're probably at between 3 and 4 months by now, and if you have gone this far, you feel like you have already suceeded. This is where many people stumble. they are tired of the routine, tired of eating different things from all their friends, limiting their alcohol intake. Basically the shine has worn off. this is when your really need to plant your feet. Maybe change up your exercise routine, make a concentrated effort to find different, but still nutritional food. Talk to people. And examine how far you have come. At this point, no matter how much external motivation you receive, it's all about believing in yourself!

Phase 5. End game.
    5 or 6 months in you are probably working on that "last 10 pounds". This can be discouraging for many as it is a slow burn. Remember, your body probably feels like it is where it needs to be, your brain might think you need to lose 10 more, but your body is quite proud of itself now, it feels like it has "Done enough" and it wants to stay RIGHT HERE. The body LIKES to have a little fat around just in case, especially for the ladies (sorry girls, it's just human physiology). If you feel like you still need to lose it, prepare yourself for some guerrila warfare against your body. Design an exercise regimen that is very dynamic, forget the "same thing every day". Make a plan that challenges you both physically and mentally. Make sure you give yourself a day off here and there to just veg. And by all means, remember, muscle burns fat at rest. So get some weight or resistance training involved.
    The last 10 may take 3 to 6 months to lose. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it's true. And forget the idea of increasing your calorie deficite, healthy bodies need good nutrition, your body no longer has the fat reserves to handle the large deficites you could when you were 30 40 or 50 pounds overweight. Better to make it a 3 or 400 calorie deficite (NET, please count your exercise calories too!). It may take a bit longer, but your body will like you for it. Plus it feeds those new muscles and keeps them burning fat, keeps your skin healthy (elasticity is important when you want those places that were stretched out to "snap back") and keeps you from getting head aches and depressed.

Conclusion:

this is what I have learned, not just from my journey, but from others as well on here. It saddens me sometimes to see people hit one of these stages and not recognize it for what it is, a part of the process. If we all can have realistic expectations, then we are more prone to win the fight and stay healthy in the long run. Note that some people will hit these stages harder then others, some may take longer, but for the most part, this is the rule that the exceptions will come from.

Best health to you all!

-Banks "

i like this!
    i have only got a small amount to loose and its just not happening - altho i need to eat better - i think it is because i am in the first month of a new routine
  • melmck2011
    Options
    I guess I might have been setting my expectations a little bit high. The inches are starting to come off too, so that is something to celebrate. Now it is time to buckle down and keep at my routine. New goal: 162 by Labour Day Weekend!
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I read this the other day and seems relevant, I agree that 1lb is a sensible amount of weight loss so well done.

<http://www.burnthefat.com/how_to_fix_slow_female_fat_loss.html&gt;
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    My weight loss goes in cycles it seems. I will lose rapidly (solid 1.5 lbs) a week for a week, two or three, then level off and may even gain a bit, then cycle again with it coming off again. Persistence is the way to go. It will come off.

Same with me. I'll go one or two weeks and either lose nothing or lost half a pound. Then suddenly I'll lost 3 or 4 pounds and then the following week won't lose anything.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You are doing fine. I lost 17 pounds in the last 9 months. You might have your calories a bit too low. 173 pounds x 14 calories = 2422 calories a day for maintenance. So at 1200 calories, you have a deficite of 1222 calories....it is very high and higher if you do not eat your exercice calories. I would puch toward 1500 calories a day and eat your exercice calories. The goal is not to beat our body into submission but more to coach it toward fat lost.

Good luck
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

It's perfectly normal what you are losing. In face it's great! you should be proud. I would be careful though. If you are only eating 1200 and burning 500, your body might be needing more fuel. Are you tired a lot? Try adding a bit more protein to your diet and see if that helps the pounds come off faster and keep you energized. And remember, weight is just a number! It's all about how you feel and how your clothes feel on you. If you are feeling good and you notice a difference in your clothes, that's all that matters!
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    Congrats on your accomplishments so far!! I look at it as at my heaviest I was 285+ and it took me several years to get to that point so expecting it to drop off practically overnight usually means deprivation which is not good for a healthy lifestyle. If you’re exercising almost every day and you are not feeding your body the right types of food to make up for the exercising your body may actually be in starvation mode storing body fat. There will always be those peeks and valleys when trying to take off weight so it’s important to give your body good recovery time, the proper foods, enough food and slight changes in the types of exercises to shock the body. Losing weight is a marathon, not a sprint, it’s not about the person who gets out of the blocks the fastest but the person who is consistent throughout the race. Stay with it stay strong be motivated you will get there!!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    you may not be eating enough. on days when you exercise, you need to eat back those calories. so, if you're burning 500 calories in exercise, you should be eating at least 1,700 calories that day. and don't just fill those extra calories with garbage. fill them with healthy food.

also, if the calories you are eating contain a lot of sugar (i.e., bread, pasta, foods with high fructose corn syrup, basically anything in a box, etc.) then that's not conducive to fat loss. swap sugary crap for more natural carbs like fruits and veggies...and eat more protein.

finally, I'm not sure what type of work outs you are doing, but your body might need 2-3 days/week for recovery.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I guess I might have been setting my expectations a little bit high. The inches are starting to come off too, so that is something to celebrate. Now it is time to buckle down and keep at my routine. New goal: 162 by Labour Day Weekend!

4 pounds in a month for someone your size is pretty good. No worries, you are on track.

Don't fall into the "Biggest Loser" mentality, real world weight loss is optimal at 1-2 pounds per week with bigger people averaging 2-3 per week.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    kapeluza

Well said!