What would you eat after dental surgery?

Options
I'm going in to have my wisdom teeth removed this morning (all 4 at once) and I'm reading over the after care sheet they gave me. The suggested foods list has soup on it but other than that it's mainly things like ice cream, jello and pudding. I don't want to live on soup for the next 3 days but I don't think ice cream should be playing a large part in my diet either.

Any suggestions for food that is soft and doesn't require much chewing but is still healthy?

Replies

• ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I'm going in to have my wisdom teeth removed this morning (all 4 at once) and I'm reading over the after care sheet they gave me. The suggested foods list has soup on it but other than that it's mainly things like ice cream, jello and pudding. I don't want to live on soup for the next 3 days but I don't think ice cream should be playing a large part in my diet either.

Any suggestions for food that is soft and doesn't require much chewing but is still healthy?

Green monsters and healthy smoothies. But don't drink them with straws, dry sockets suck.

Unrelated, I'd buy a bottle of witch hazel.
  • Quiltmania
    Options

Been there (all 4 at once sucks). You aren't going to want much food for a few days after the surgery. I also wasn't able to open my mouth more than an inch for a few days after. I'd go with the soup (make a bunch of health soup before hand) and sugar free jello. You could also try some bananas and yogurt smoothies. Good luck.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat something substantial before your surgery. You don't want to take pain meds on an empty stomach - yuck!

Greek yogurt - maybe 2% for a couple of days. If you have protien powder - add that to instant pudding or smoothies.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese. Yoghurt?
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, greek yogurt, hummus, smoothies, protein shakes, eggs.
  • caitlin70433
    Options
    Anything liquidy. I agree with the smoohies and yogurt PPs have mentioned. Now, I'm lazy and I'm on WWrs (I need to track my sodium per the Dr. and love the myfitnesspal app. Much better than the WWrs droid app). Anyway, I LOVE the WWrs smoothies. I think the Alba smoothies are comprable.

I had a WWrs creamy chocolate smoothie mix made with low-fat milk and a frozen banana for breakfast. Anyway, It is the smoothie that eats like a meal. Actually, I did 2/3 c of the milk and 1/3 c of coffee. Its an entire breakfast in a smoothie! You can do this with the Alba. Yogurt, definitely, as well. Maybe low-sodium V8 to get in your veg?

I had all my wisdom teeth out at once when I was 21 and at my skinniest. The week after that was the only time in my adult life I was under 100 (I'm 4'11''). I lost 4 lbs in a week! Since I'm med. verging on large boned and have a good proportion of muscle for my gender/size, that was a bit too skinny, though. Anyway, good luck.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    applesauce, mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower, mashed sweet potatoes, scrambled eggs,
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    however, I had an AWFUL wisdom-teeth-removal experience. I didn't eat anything except malts and applesauce for about 4-5 days. And very very little of those. I probably lost 5 pounds!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Oh, I remember when I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed (they were fully impacted, too). For the first day, I honestly didn't want to eat ANYTHING.

Don't overly worry about calories while you're recovering. But you're right, ice cream shouldn't be a major part of your diet. How about juice pops (you can even make your own), jell-o (sugar free if you're not against it), and sherbert (or sorbet ... the one with very little cream). And even after the first couple of days, you'll want soft foods still.

Give your body time to heal. It does depend on the severity of the extraction - I was swollen an unable to eat normally for over a week, but I knew a guy who went on a date the night of his extraction. Be mindful of what you eat, but you can really get back on the wagon once you're well again.

good luck with it!
  • OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    When I had mine out, I did a SlimFast diet. For my normal meals I had scrambled eggs, applesauce and the the occasional ice cream.