My first ever 10km race... on my birthday..

Options
Ok.. so Yesterday.. on a whim.. I decided that I am going to run my first ever 10km race...

dun dun dunnnnnnnn...

IN FIVE WEEKS!

I did a 5k last May as part of Race for Life... that was my first experience of running, properly.. ever!

I've recently started back at the gym and not been able to click with any machinery (except my beloved elliptical!!) as much as I clicked with running!

Now.. I know it will be a challenge, I'm going to test myself tonight to see how my pace fairs, whether I am within a 12 minute mile (at least) and then I can guage where I can go from there!

If I am running 12 minute miles, i would be really happy as that would mean I'd finish the race in about 74 mintues, which would make me really happy.. because I've never done a 10k before.. i'd like to do it in an hour, but obviously starting training so late I might not be able to!

I'm also going to join an athletics club :) in the beginners sessions to get to running 6miles without walking! (because I still have bursts of walking every so often!)

Anyone else in the same boat? Doing a 10k? Getting back into running?

Anyone gone from slow miles to 8-10minute miles? I'd love to hear from you!

Replies

• Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be fine - I believe it's more of a mental challenge than a physical one! I don't run that far now, but used to, and made the leap from 5k to 10k quite suddenly. One day, after completing a 5k loop from my doorstep, I decided I didn't feel too bad and would see how far round I could go again. I finished the whole loop, mentally chanting 'it's only pain'!
    I don't necessarily recommend you do the same, but I think your body will surprise you!
    Good luck - and let us know how you get on!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i run 11-12 min miles now, and am working on endurance over speed. but i'd be interested to hear what others say about improving speed.
  • LyneaS
    LyneaS Posts: 22
    Options
    I have been doing some 5Ks with a goal to work up to a 10K on Thanksgiving. Well, now I'm doing a 15K on November 4th. I use Hal Higdon's training schedules and the 10K for beginners doesn't look too bad since I was doing the 5K intermediate one before. 70 + minutes seems like a realistic goal and would be something I would be very proud to accomplish!!!!