Calories in unsweet iced tea?

Options
jbrooks3645
jbrooks3645 Posts: 76 Member
edited May 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I make a gallon of tea using luzianne tea bags I dnt add any sugar. Is there any calories? The only thing I'm using are tea bags and water. The box of tea bags says 0 calories and water ofcourse 0 calories. But I'm seeing online that unsweet tea has 2 calories per cup then I'm seeing some entry's on mfp that's showing unsweet tea having up to 30 calories. It's got me a little confused.

Replies

• BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Are any of those exampled bottled tea(s)? I myself have always recorded my home made sun-tea just bags and water like you as zero calories. Sometimes bottled tea from the store has something added that has calories even tiny amounts. Other than that I got nada.
  • jbrooks3645
    Options
    A few entry's were from restaurants like subway and McDonald's
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Legally in the US if an item has fewer than 5 calories per serving, the manufacturer can list it as 0 calories. So if you made a gallon 30-32 calories for the entire thing sounds about right.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Black tea (what you brewed) has about 2 calories per cup. Manufacturers can put 0 calories per serving on anything that has less than 5 calories per serving.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I didn't know tea had calories so I have learned something new today.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have never bothered logging my occasional glass of unsweetened tea.
    I see 2 calories listed on the internet for 6 oz of unsweetened tea. A gallon would have about 42 calories then. If you drink a whole gallon of tea in a day you could log 30-42 calories and probably cover it.
  • jbrooks3645
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Legally in the US if an item has fewer than 5 calories per serving, the manufacturer can list it as 0 calories. So if you made a gallon 30-32 calories for the entire thing sounds about right.

Ahh ok it makes sense now. That's what was confusing me that the package had 0 calories lol 30-32 calories to a gallon is wayyy better that the 150 calories for one can of Dr pepper