Staying Active at Age 66

I am trying my best to stay active since my spine decided to start giving out. Would like to add other seniors who are fighting the aging process!

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Add me if you like. I’m 68. Just finished my morning PT exercises. Pickleball next.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Hi, I’m 62 and doing my best! I’ve started walking regularly and do Pilates. Currently 7 pounds from normal BMI from obese. Slow but positive steps.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I'm not fighting aging which would be ridiculous. I'm looking for people in my age group. I don't think you fit. Thanks anyway!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I am only 45, but I have been fighting spine issues since my early 30s. When I am at my worst, water is the only way to get any exercise at all. Deep water aerobics are better than regular water aerobics, but climbing up a ladder can be hard with a bad back.

The other piece of advice is to change things slowly. I would try to walk more and start body weight exercises and end up hurting myself and being back to nothing. This time around, I only added 500 steps a week to my goal, and some weeks I worked on walking faster instead of walking more. I didn't start adding body weight exercises until I felt confident with the walking and I started real slow with that as well: push ups on a high counter at first.

It seems hit or miss for people, but I also find yoga very helpful. I start off with my physical therapy exercises and am very careful when learning new poses.
  • Healthydiner65
    I am only 45, but I have been fighting spine issues since my early 30s. When I am at my worst, water is the only way to get any exercise at all. Deep water aerobics are better than regular water aerobics, but climbing up a ladder can be hard with a bad back.

The other piece of advice is to change things slowly. I would try to walk more and start body weight exercises and end up hurting myself and being back to nothing. This time around, I only added 500 steps a week to my goal, and some weeks I worked on walking faster instead of walking more. I didn't start adding body weight exercises until I felt confident with the walking and I started real slow with that as well: push ups on a high counter at first.

It seems hit or miss for people, but I also find yoga very helpful. I start off with my physical therapy exercises and am very careful when learning new poses.

Thanks! Our pool opens this month and I just had 2 epidurals. One in my back and one on my neck. I’m hoping they help control the pain. I love to swim and yoga is great as long as I either sit or hold onto a chair
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    I'm 61 and I'm fighting it too. Of course we age, but we don't have to lie down and wait to die. I have joint issues so I'm trying to find exercises that I can do to be fit and stay active. I'd be happy to have another friend that feels and thinks like I do!!
  • babecker1951
    babecker1951 Posts: 8 Member
    I’m 66 and trying to lose 40 pounds. I am down 14 so far. I’m interested in seeing what exercise other people my age do. I currently ride a stationary bike or walk 6 days a week. Thinking of yoga. I have arthritic knees. Good Luck to all of us on this journey!
  • 2aycocks

Is there a specific kind of yoga that you do? My hubby bought me a yoga video to work out to that he said was beginner. I did fine until I had to go from being on my hands and knees to lifting up my behind and on my tiptoes from that position, in one smooth move. I went down like a box of rocks! Didn't know whether to laugh or cry!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    2aycocks wrote: »

Is there a specific kind of yoga that you do? My hubby bought me a yoga video to work out to that he said was beginner. I did fine until I had to go from being on my hands and knees to lifting up my behind and on my tiptoes from that position, in one smooth move. I went down like a box of rocks! Didn't know whether to laugh or cry!

Did you go down from lack of strength or from pain? If the strength, just keep trying! If the pain, work on building your core in other ways.

A word of caution about learning yoga from DVD's if you have skeleto-muscular issues. I started yoga long after taking physical therapy and otherwise learning to adapt everything to my own level; a good yoga studio will help you through that process if you are adapting to new issues.

I currently do exercises that I have learned over the years, plus attempt to keep up at my gym. I had a Yoga Zone Yoga for a Strong and Healthy Back DVD that I loved, but it got stepped on. I recently downloaded the Down Dog app - their beginner takes a lot more strength than I have! I also bought a book called "My Pocket Yoga" which is nice because I can focus on one new pose at a time, without trying to keep up with videos. I don't have good internet access where I have room for yoga, so I haven't tried them, but a lot of people recommend the Adrienne videos on youtube, as well.
  • Healthydiner65
    Thanks for the great ideas!
  • AdaliF2018
    AdaliF2018 Posts: 2 Member
    I find these posts very helpful. Two years ago I ruptured a disc and I since then have gained wt which only puts more strain on my back. I get discouraged and want to quit seeking comfort or distraction through food.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Back trouble stinks, sorry about that. Older folks need to maintain their muscle strength--weight training. I know you will have to work around your back issue but strength training will help you maintain mobility (joints, coordination, posture, etc) and it also can slow/reverse calcium loss in bones. I'm retired NASA, our astronauts suffer significant bone decalcification in zero gee, resistance training while in orbit is used to mitigate the negative effects of weightlessness and it works for us earthbound folks too.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks wrote: »

Did you go down from lack of strength or from pain? If the strength, just keep trying! If the pain, work on building your core in other ways.

A word of caution about learning yoga from DVD's if you have skeleto-muscular issues. I started yoga long after taking physical therapy and otherwise learning to adapt everything to my own level; a good yoga studio will help you through that process if you are adapting to new issues.

I currently do exercises that I have learned over the years, plus attempt to keep up at my gym. I had a Yoga Zone Yoga for a Strong and Healthy Back DVD that I loved, but it got stepped on. I recently downloaded the Down Dog app - their beginner takes a lot more strength than I have! I also bought a book called "My Pocket Yoga" which is nice because I can focus on one new pose at a time, without trying to keep up with videos. I don't have good internet access where I have room for yoga, so I haven't tried them, but a lot of people recommend the Adrienne videos on youtube, as well.

Actually I went down because of both strength and pain. I've had 3 shoulder surgeries including one full shoulder replacement. That shoulder I never got full range of motion back so can't raise that arm but part way up. I also have Rheumatoid arthritis so putting so much weight on my arms killed my joints. I'm just not nearly as flexible as I need to be. I need to find a good stretching workout and yoga for old stiff people.
  • Ila1227
    Ila1227 Posts: 71 Member
    Hi everyone. I am 70 and 2 weeks ago started to exercise. Crazy I know. But joined a gym and taking classes. I love it which is amazing. I have health issues and aging issues and fat issues but I am excited to find classes that are fun. Even if I am the less able in group. Would love more senior friends as I find it is hard to lose w at our age