Tired, hungry and thirsty! What's wrong with me!

Options
I have been doing really well with weight loss and sticking to a routine since I restarted with MFP at the end of June...i have always exercised alot but I've cut out the crap food and stopped snacking. I haven't really cheated at all!. Until yesterday I have felt so much better and have noticed a real difference in how I look. I am half way to my GW!

Since yesterday I have felt sooo tired and lethargic, completely lacking in energy and motivation. I am really hungry and can't seem to satisfy my hunger (I have tried not to eat toooo much but it has been a battle and I feel like I am going to lose it soon) and I am thirsty all the time, even though I am drinking lots of water.

What is wrong with me and how can I get back to being positive / motivated?! For the first times I feel dangerously close to a big lapse as I feel so tired and lacking in energy

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Try adding some fruits and veggies into your diet ( I only looked through a few days on your diet). They have nutrients that will get you more energy.
  • Cindio
    Cindio Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Maybe try adding a protein bar in as a snack or a meal replacement. You will find it will give you more energy and curb your hunger longer. As for being thirsty, I would check your sugar intake. To much sugar in your bloodstream will make you extremely thirsty and tired.
  • emccand
    emccand Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You could be fighting something off, there are a lot of summer colds and viruses going around. Try drinking orange juice for breakfast and maybe taking a daily multi vitamin to see if that gives you a boost, good luck!
  • PuzzleGirl65
    PuzzleGirl65 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing as emccand. Maybe you're getting sick? If it drags on, maybe see your doctor.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Thirst could be related to your hunger issue. They are often the same feeling which is why we eat when we're really thirsty. I find that the more water I drink the more thirsty I actually get. Maybe you've increased your sodium without realizing it. It's hidden everywhere so look closely at your food log and see if there is a change in the past few days/weeks. If you've lost a substantial amount of weight, you might want to schedule a checkup with your doctor to monitor your blood count (CBC)(including IRON - and do an IRON BINDING PROFILE not just a hemoglobin count) and your metabolic panel (CMP) as you could have a build up of sodium in your blood even though your consumption has remained the same per your logs.

It could be something as simple as you are doing too much exercise without enough rest. If you tend to do a lot of workouts, give yourself some downtime in between. For example, instead of running every day, run every other and walk the off days (casual, comfortable speed not speed walking) to keep moving. Consider too that if you're doing weight lifting and building muscle you will require more water for repairs at the cell level and this could be taking from your normal input leaving you with a slight deficit for other bodily functions that were working well.

The key is to LISTEN TO YOUR BODY and don't beat yourself up. Sometimes, you just need to take a break especially if you've been going gung ho from the start. Do what you can and rest when your body is tired. Your hunger could also be related to an increase in activity or miscalculation on your exercise burns. If you're truly hungry, eat but make good choices. Your body will thank you in the end.
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If you're working out and not eating your workout calories, that might be it. I felt the same way yesterday, without the thirst. I was tired and had no energy and it was only 1:00 p.m. and I still had grocery shopping to do. I ate a bowl of cereal and felt better. I went over on my sugar more than I wanted to but eating the cereal and the dates really helped me finish out my errands. There were many days I didn't eat my exercise calories. Hope this helps.
  • BerkleyEL
    BerkleyEL Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Don't under estimate the power of a good breakfast in the AM.
    I find that on days when I actually eat a decent breakfast I tend to function/feel better throughout the entire day.
    Try adding some protein to your breakfast schedule - hard boiled egg(s) with a touch of salt could be a viable option along with what you're already doing.
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    I usually feel that way when my allergies are acting up.
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    Does diabetes run in your family? Those are the classic symptoms of undiagnosed diabetes (body "starves" because sugar builds up in the blood and isn't absorbed by the cells to be used as energy). I suggest a visit to your doctor, or if available, borrow a glucose meter and do a finger stick. I hope I'm wrong, but it's worth ruling out.
  • slhaz
    slhaz Posts: 1
    Options
    Two things that help me with my enegry and feeling full:

1. Try to add a tsp of olive oil into your meal plan e.g., stir fry veggies or on your salad. It is a good fat for you and it really helps to keep you feeling full.

2. Add "Sugar" to your tracking. Sugar promotes insulin in our bodies which will give us quick energy but then zaps it as fast and the lows are hard to handle. Alot of the processed foods have hidden sugar in it so it's a good thing to watch. I try to keep my intake under 30 which is really hard if you're not eating a lot of natural food but it help if you are least tracking it so you can see what you are consuming.

Hope this helps.
  • paturner
    Options
    I wish I knew specifically what the problem might be, but I can remember being exhausted everyday, dieting and exercising, for the first five months I felt like I could barely make it. . but I stuck with it. Today I feel better (8 months in), and I have incorporated vitamins. You are obviously lacking some nutrients, and it really does make you feel lathargic and tired. Also this "diet" is probably a shock to your system, its used to heavy greasy foods (just a guess), and now you're eating clean, its like your body has to catch up to that. Don't give up, you will feel better eventually. I would suggest vitamin supplements for any nutrients you may not be getting. Vitamin D deficiency is common, we don't even know we're deficient until we go to the doctor and they take blood. . who knew. Also the Multi-Vitamin covers the other areas. Hang in there, be faithful, and you will feel better soon. God bless!

P.S., if you're not better after a week of the Vitamins, head to the doctor. . .he/she can certainly help you out.
  • runrogrun
    runrogrun Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....all really useful advice :-).
    The multi vitamin is definitely something I need to think about taking - your responses just reminded me that when I was training for a marathon two years ago I was diagnosed as borderline anaemic so perhaps as I am doing more exercise my iron levels are low again? I don't know. I was supposed to be out for an 11 mile run tomorow (I am doing a half marathon next month) but maybe I will put it off and just have a few more chilled days. I do a lot of horse riding so I can do that instead - still exercise but no where near as strenuous.
    If I don't feel better in a few days and it hasn't developed into anything then I may go and see my doctor.
    Thanks everyone :-)