Oops!

Options
I've been sloppy with the diary entries this weekend and slightly naughty with the food and alcohol. This weathers got me giddy over the past couple days but I'm hoping I can make up for it during the rest of the week! Any tips on how to socialize and enjoy yourself without feeling too deprived?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Portion control. Lower cal options. Being honest with people on your goals.
  • SamairaAzim
    SamairaAzim Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks pinggolfer96! I'm getting better with my portion sizes and have cut down massively on all the rich, calorific foods that I once regularly stuffed my face with.
    I do feel awkward talking about it with friends because the odd time I have mentioned my weight loss goals, they have scoffed about it and made various comments in jest.. Maybe I'm super touchy or they're just not very supportive but hey ho I'm still gonna carry on
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Thanks pinggolfer96! I'm getting better with my portion sizes and have cut down massively on all the rich, calorific foods that I once regularly stuffed my face with.
    I do feel awkward talking about it with friends because the odd time I have mentioned my weight loss goals, they have scoffed about it and made various comments in jest.. Maybe I'm super touchy or they're just not very supportive but hey ho I'm still gonna carry on

When that happens I just let my results talk when we go out to the beach or pool lol. Then they don’t have anything to say :D
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Understand that your friends might not super supportive of your weight loss efforts. Ask yourself whether these are healthy people to have in your "going out circle" at this moment. You don't need to cut off ties, but perhaps limit your social events with them to times when you have more calorie wiggle room.

When you do go out, plan for it, and make smart choices. Personally, beer is my downfall. I love a good IPA and I'll happily go through a few in a sitting. So, I make a choice - do I want X food item, or do I want X beer item? I'm not a munchie drinker, so I don't generally eat much when I drink, but if you're also getting into high calorie foods, you need to be able to make that decision about which you'd prefer.

Leave yourself a big enough window that night so you have some extra room to enjoy your treat. Extra cardio in the morning, a lighter lunch, and an extra session the next day will help a little bit.

If you do go over, chalk it up to a learning experience. Figure out what drove you to go out of your calorie limit and figure out how much you went over by. Log it, and move onto the next day. Don't punish yourself, but maybe hit a few extra workouts.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    You could try eating something healthy right before going out, so you don’t accidentally drink alcohol for your hunger, or power through more unhealthy stuff than you planned for. If there are snack bowls involved, try to get seated far from them so you’d have to actually ask someone to pass them to you. That might help with the mindless munching (a huge problem for me sometimes). Another trick I sometimes use when out drinking: ask the bartender to only put half of the regular alcohol amount in your cocktail. It’s likely to still taste great, but less alcohol -> less calories, you won’t get as drunk and you can go work out the morning after when all your friends are feeling sick with their hangovers :) For wine and beer (where you obviously can’t have your bartender alter the amount of alcohol): have a glass of water right next to your dominant hand and the drink a bit farther away. You’ll drink water for your thirst, stay hydrated, satiate the ”drinking reflex” with the water, and your actual drink will last longer.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Reaching and maintaining a healthy weight shouldn't make you feel deprived AT ALL. But you have to change your attitude, along with your habits. What you have to do, is stop stuffing your face. Make priorities. Maybe it's necessary to remove "naughty" and "hope" from your food vocabulary. Alongside with that, I would just not talk about my weightloss plans and efforts, except in here, of course.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    for me its easy. i have OCD. always have. i dont eat foods other people (aside from restaurants) prepare. its even hard for me to eat what my fiance cooks lolol and its not that any of its BAD - its just ME.

so .... everyone is USED to me not eating 'their' foods. its NORMAL.

as for alcohol ... i plan for that *kitten* LMAO. whether its in the form of cutting back calories elsewhere, or extra workouts, or even if it means upping my cals for the day. its just not a big deal.

we go to every jimmy buffett concert we can get to. usually 2 or 3 a summer. those days - nope- they dont count in my world. i drink to my hearts content and tailgate and have a good time (these shows are all about the tailgating and booze LMAO). and it never does much damage. scale might go up for a few days but quickly goes back down. i think i burn a lot of it off dancing LOLOLOL