Anyone eat sun butter?

Options
Lounmoun
Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
We got a jar of Sun Butter this week. It is okay but I'm not really sure if we will use it as a sandwich spread. It makes me think of tahini.
I saw some homemade recipes where people mixed in stuff like vanilla, maple syrup, salt or cinnamon.

So for anyone who eats sunflower seed butter, how do you like to have it?

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Bought it, now what do I do with it?
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My kids love it with jelly as a sandwich. We don’t eat peanuts - and almond butter is too expensive considering how much they eat.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I liked it on toast, and it was a good substitute in my nut butter “fat bombs”

Don’t have that recipe handy, but I can look for it tomorrow!

~Lyssa
  • squeaker87
    squeaker87 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I eat it like you would pb and jelly. My daughter is allergic to peanuts, so I guess we’re just used to it. It’s also good with celery or apples.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I put it on top of protein mug cakes. Nice when it is still a bit warm so the sunflower butter melts a little. Might be good in oatmeal and such too.
  • Lounmoun
    Options
    I love to make cookies with it. There’s some kind of compound in the sun butter that reacts with baking soda and makes the inside of the cookies turn green after they cool off.

bnmmf8yz5iop.jpeg

That is really interesting!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I love to make cookies with it. There’s some kind of compound in the sun butter that reacts with baking soda and makes the inside of the cookies turn green after they cool off.

bnmmf8yz5iop.jpeg

I think I'd have a hard time eating green cookies LOL
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    St Patrick's Day cookies!

Sun flower seed butter is my fave of all the nut butters. I normally just eat it off the spoon.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I bought it once and dipped strawberries into it. I also used it to make homemade granola bars. It's ok. It kinda became sickening in large doses. I wanna try Trader Joe's Mixed Nut Butter.
  • Sarahsaborista
    Sarahsaborista Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use it place of peanut butter for something different. I add it with oats and a bit of honey or syrup to bake apples. I have also used it to make bar cookies with fig and apricot preserves. I love the mug cake idea. I have never seen it turn green though.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If it's like tahini, I bet you could make a delicious salad dressing / veggie dip / sandwich spread with it. Maybe cut it with some apple cider vinegar and mix with some spices - curry, or paprika, or garlic?
  • Lounmoun
    Options
    I used some to make some energy balls today.
    Have to try some other these ideas for the rest.
  • CocoNat0708
    CocoNat0708 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I like to add it to my morning oats and it goes great with apple slices.