Ice cream

Options
moco916
moco916 Posts: 11 Member
Every night I crave ice cream after dinner and most nights I give in. I don’t just eat a serving I end up eating a whole pint. Does anyone have advice on how to stop doing this. I feel like I have no will power at this point.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Plan to have a serve of icecream every night?
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Stop buying ice cream. If it's not there, you can't eat it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @TavistockToad has given you a few good options. You could also do a mix of 2 and 4: don't have ice cream in the house, but go out every night and buy a single serving. This reduces the amount of willpower you need to exercise to just a single moment where you decide to buy a single serving instead of more than one serving. Easier to manage that than having to constantly dissuade yourself from having something you have free access to.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Make your own! I have one of these and I can't wait to try it out:
    https://www.amazon.com/Zoku-Blue-Cream-Maker-Instant/dp/B00LGRTH14/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525774932&sr=8-3&keywords=single+serving+ice+cream+maker

Only so much will fit in there and it will have to freeze overnight again before you can use it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    dot buy it.
  • MushroomLadyJR
    MushroomLadyJR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    We all struggle at times with our willpower. Implement one of the above strategies and see how you manage. If that one fails move to the next.

Personally, if I'm in the proper weight loss mindset, I'm content to keep it in the house and only have it as a single serving a few times a week. However, if I simply don't have the willpower I would remove it from the house or replace with other foods.

The above "it" food to me is anything from tortilla chips to Oreos. All managed the same way.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, just don't buy it. If you insist on keeping it in the house, then just scoop out a serving in to a bowl and walk away. Ice cream is one of my weaknesses, I have kids though, so I do buy it. I just stash it in the freezer downstairs, so the kids know it's there, but for me it is out of sight out of mind.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weigh a serving out and put the pint back in the freezer
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    A lot of good suggestions above, but have you tried Halo? Or one of the other low calorie choices. They are generally about 280 to 360 calories for a whole pint, and actually pretty good, compared to ice cream at 600 to 900 calories per pint. Just leave enough calories for your evening indulgence.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

This is how I have to do it. Otherwise, the pint just disappears..
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Preplan your day and include ice cream.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You can also, measure out icecream servings for the week in separate containers. So each night you reach in the freezer and eat that days container.

I do this for peanut butter, because it stops me from eating more since I don't want to dip into wednesday's treat and deprive myself wednesday.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Log the pint of ice cream at the beginning of the day so you can see how much it impacts your day as a whole.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    If you cannot limit yourself to one portion just don't buy it. We often tell ourselves we have to keep it (and crisps and biscuits) in the house because of children but I am old enough to remember the days before large home freezers. Ice cream was something we walked to a shop and bought in one portion sizes. It will be of benefit to your family for it to not be on tap
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad has given you a few good options. You could also do a mix of 2 and 4: don't have ice cream in the house, but go out every night and buy a single serving. This reduces the amount of willpower you need to exercise to just a single moment where you decide to buy a single serving instead of more than one serving. Easier to manage that than having to constantly dissuade yourself from having something you have free access to.

Even better, if you're in a location this would work, go out every night for a walk and to buy your ice cream.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Enlightened Ice Cream has been a savior to me and many others on the board. It's creamy and delicious, and there are a plethora of flavors to choose from. Halo Top, Arctic Zero, and Breyers also carry low cal options. You can eat the whole pint and not feel the guilt as hard lol. I often eat half the pint and save the rest for another day. Enlightened has a buy one get one coupon floating around. My favorite flavors are Mint, Movie Night, and Brownies and Cookie Dough, but none of them have really been terrible.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

I was going to say something to this effect, but basically when you buy the pint, immediately weigh and separate it out into a handful of smaller servings that are already in the freezer ready to go and that will fit into your daily goal. That way, you get your fix of ice cream but don't have the whole pint there ready to be demolished.

This whole thing is about finding ways to make changes you can live with and won't derail or ruin your life. If you want to lose weight and still eat ice cream, just find a way to work it in. Everything in moderation, not living a life of deprivation, right?