Are coaches/trainers worth the expense?

Options
lorib642
lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
I don't know where to start

I have not been in a gym in years. The most exercise i get is walking my dog. I have tried to lose weight and get more fit before, but i don't stick with it.

There is a really nice YMCA here with all kinds of equipment and classes. I just dont know if i would go.

I am good about keeping obligations and if i thought someone would be waiting, i would go. My friends that work out are pretty advanced and i dont know if they would go with me. I have not asked.

I saw nerd fitness has coaches. Anyone know anything about that program? They send you nutritional and activity plans and keep up with you.

I want something that will help me babystep into an exercise routine.

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Depends on the coach/ trainer. Some are more than worth it. Most are not.
  • marjoyrin123
    marjoyrin123 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would suggest just a few sessions so you can get iinstruction how to use machines the right way
    and for how long
    The trainer will show you which machines to use
    Checking you are using machines correctly is crucial as to avoid injury
    Also they can show you appropriate floor exercise
    Once you have a program you can go off on your own
    A few months later you can check back in to get 1-2 sessions for update and advancement
    You don't want instructor as a crutch and no need to have instructor watch you do same thing over and over
    I would suggest using trainer at gym as they have to meet certain standards and certifications
    You can ask at gym about backgrounds
    Don't sign up for 20 sessions or anything like that
    The trainer dies not have to be your best friend but you want to feel comfortable

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Having a trainer got this exercise-hating couch potato into the HABIT of regular exercise and loving it. I worked with him for 2.5 years, also losing 150 lb, until he closed his studio and I'm still working out & maintaining weight 1.5 years later. Some people need only a few sessions and others need longer term structure /consistency.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Having a trainer got this exercise-hating couch potato into the HABIT of regular exercise and loving it. I worked with him for 2.5 years, also losing 150 lb, until he closed his studio and I'm still working out & maintaining weight 1.5 years later. Some people need only a few sessions and others need longer term structure /consistency.

I had a similar experience with a trainer in 2011. After many years of inconsistent exercise and poor eating habits, I worked with a personal trainer, losing 45 lbs over a 9 month period. I worked with him for several years. As stated above, working with the trainer provided the support I needed to develop healthy eating and regular exercise habits that have continued to this day.

I am now active 7 days/week and my weight that is within 10lbs of what I weighed in high school.
  • Foodfavor
    Foodfavor Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I find personal coaches to be expensive. Finding a class through a Rec Centre or something might be a good first step. I do a group class once a week that is aimed at people who are over weight and/or have physical limitations. This class costs around $60 for 8 sessions. I have been going for over a year and there is our regular group of people and some people who join but end up leaving. I love going and seeing the regulars and working out with everyone. :smile:

Also, maybe getting a fitness app might be a good way to test the waters? If cardio is your thing there is Couch to 5K, or if you are more into weights I personally like Stronglift 5X5!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    I am good about keeping obligations and if i thought someone would be waiting, i would go. My friends that work out are pretty advanced and i dont know if they would go with me. I have not asked.

Ask them. You don't need to follow their workout, you just need a person waiting for you at the gym, according to your post. Just keep your initial workouts short & fun, so you look forward to going to the gym.

Paying for an accountability person sounds like a luxury in your case, so i'd only do it if you're in good financial shape (no debt, 3-6 months of expenses saved up).
    Keep in mind most trainers/coaches don't have proper nutrition credentials, so i'd be skeptical of their nutrition plans. Their exercise advice might be questionable too (google "choosing a personal trainer" for help with that). For weight loss help, check the pinned posts in the "getting started" and "general" forums. :+1:
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I work with a personal trainer 5 days a week and for me it's more than worth the money. She knows exactly how to push my buttons to make me work to my limits (which are a lot higher than I normally think they are). She tailors the sessions to whatever my goal is at the time, so when I was marathon training we worked on various aspects of running and now I'm running shorter distances she's ramped up the cardio, pylometrics and strength. I pretty much hate her at the end of every half hour (and every class as I also go to her classes) but I know that I wouldn't be able to do half of what I do if I worked on my own.
  • emilyvictoria7
    emilyvictoria7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I felt the exact same way as you about six months ago! I started with a trainer I did 3 sessions with and she taught me the six basic movements and made some improvements upon my form. I didn't love her style and I stopped with her after she was a bit flakey (cancelled 3 appointments last minute in a row). I started working out with a colleague who does personal training but she is an intensely heavy lifter and believed everyone should start with the heaviest weights possible to bulk up big - hated that - stopped with her after a few sessions.

Then I just started doing my own research. I ultimately decided to start M&S Full Body Dumbbell Workout 3x a week on top of my regular runs. I watch a lot of videos on how to improve my form, and practice quite a bit without the weights. I've been thinking of approaching one of the instructors at the gym to take a look at one of my lifts to ensure I have good form.

I think it's very possible to get into a routine without a personal trainer, as long as you're willing to do to the research to be honest. I also think that we need to be our own motivators - other people are great, but when we've run out of money, or our schedules no longer match up, the only person who will motivate us is ourselves.

Keep with it, you can do this!
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    For me, it’s totally worth the money. I have worked with my trainer for 2.5 years, we have session once every two weeks and usually a short more intense period of weekly sessions after Christmas and summer holidays, just to get back on track. The two-week interval is great for me, since if I had a bad two weeks he’ll snap me out of my flunk and back to track, and if it has been a good two weeks we get to do new, more intense things and actually progress.

I do think the key is choosing the right trainer for you, and checking their credentials. I have had serious issues with my back, so I chose a trainer who is also a trained physical therapist. On top of that, he’s nice and we get along - I actually like training with him, and it’s super important. I wouldn’t be motivated by someone screaming at me, so a trainer with that training style would not work for me.

If I was just starting out but unsure of whether I want a trainer or can afford a long-term training relationship, I’d still get around 5 sessions: a few in a relatively intense period of time to get to know the machines, the exercises and get a training program, and then a couple of ”check-ups” later to see where you’re at, check your form, make changes to your program etc. I think this is extra important if you have some specific issues, like a knee or back problem. They can help you work around that, make sure you don’t injure yourself and choose the right exercises to help with those issues. Seriously, it took me a good two years to fix my muscle balance and flexibility enough for me to do a proper lunge, and all my dresses became loose around the chest/shoulder area in just a few months, just because we straightened up my posture and got rid of a *kitten* ton of tension in my pecs. I considered myself generally healthy and well-functioning (apart from the previous back issues) before we started working together.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Depends. I don't think I would have found it worth it just for accountability and weight loss or basic fitness. When I signed up with my trainer I had already lost my weight and was fairly fit as I had been exercising on my own for a couple of years.

I chose my trainer because I wanted to start working Olympic lifts into my programming and I wanted to improve overall athleticism. I was fairly fit going in, but he took my fitness to another level that I didn't even know was possible for me.
  • betterwhenimdancin
    betterwhenimdancin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Best money I ever spent! Definitely ask around for recommendations. I waited until a friend said she had a trainer that had helped her fix her posture.