How to incorporate alcohol into a weight loss plan?

Options
Hi everyone! I will be finished with my grad school year on Friday and plan to indulge a bit, which undoubtedly will include some alcohol. However, at the same time, I don't want to ruin my weight loss progress. Any suggestions? I was planning on making some rose spritzers, which seemed like a healthy choice to me, but I'm worried about indulging in other things, like beer later.

I actually had a glass of wine last week, which did not interfere with my progress - but thought it wouldn't hurt to get some "going out" tips from some of you! Thank you!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Just log as accurately as possible. That's all you can really do to mitigate damage.

I mean, grad school graduation is a once in a lifetime thing, but you don't want to drink so much that you ruin your feeling of accomplishment.

Congratulations! :flowerforyou:
  • celeste_2009
    celeste_2009 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hahah I don't really cycle, but maybe I'll go on a longer run that day!
  • celeste_2009
    Options
    That's a great idea!
  • megsazord
    megsazord Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Like another person said, just track accurately. At the same time one night of indulgence and celebration isn't going to ruin all your progress - it's just one day! That being said, other than a beer here and there when I really want to go hard for a night and not necessarily drink all my calories, I go for gin and soda with some lime. If it's a house party you can easily make a batch and just sip away at it for a night. Congrats on grad school!
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Grad school graduation? Just go with it.

If you want to consider calories, here’s my tricks: if it’s cocktails, ask/prepare your drink witn only half the alcohol amount, but a full serving of the rest. It’s lighter in alcohol, but you still get the cocktail. You also won’t get quite as drunk, so that will help with both making choices in the evening and not destroying the next day with an earth-shattering hangover. With cocktails, choosing something that’s not overly sugary will of course help as well (and might even be more important calorie-wise than the alcohol). If it’s beer, wine or anything else pre-made, have a glass of water on or near your dominant hand instead of the drink. You’ll satiate the ”sipping reflex” and actual thirst with the water.

I’ve had alcohol probably every week, and I still lose weight. Sure, I’d lose faster without those calories, but that’s the choice I’ve made.
  • celeste_2009
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the tips!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Pre-log. Alc + water (or flavored seltzer) isn't too bad. Like 60 cals x glass. Lots of ice, tall glasses & take a little while sipping them.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    one night of celebration wont undo anything.

you can plan and prelog, but honestly, for a celebration, i wouldnt even worry about it.

good job, by the way!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    TL;DR: limit the sugary stuff and eat lean protein, ad libitum.

https://leangains.com/the-truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle-growth/
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Pre-log. Alc + water (or flavored seltzer) isn't too bad. Like 60 cals x glass. Lots of ice, tall glasses & take a little while sipping them.

This.. Pre-logging really helps. I usually pre log every up until dinner while I eat my breakfast at work. This way I know how much room I have for dinner and drinks in the evening. This gives me an opportunity to search for recipes to try, or craft from staples and stuff or leftovers I know I have. Generally speaking I usually plan for two glasses 10oz of wine and yes I have a wine glass with a mark on it.

Also, someone else said it also. I wouldn't worry about your one special event thats not going to make or break your diet.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't restrict food if I knew I was going to have 3 or more drinks, it'll just make the next day suck extra hard.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    It's grad school. You'll only graduate once. Celebrate it and enjoy. Don't worry about logging. Finally getting out of grad school was awesome (especially because I knew I would never have to set foot in a classroom as a full-time student again).
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    It's grad school. You'll only graduate once. Celebrate it and enjoy. Don't worry about logging. Finally getting out of grad school was awesome (especially because I knew I would never have to set foot in a classroom as a full-time student again).

^^This. It's one night so celebrate.
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    This is not hard. I drink every week and have lost weight every week for almost a year. Just work it into your calories. Do NOT drink so much that you get the munchies.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    The big question you want to focus for your day to day goals is are you still in a deficit. I drank stouts for dessert during weightloss, since I was still in my deficit I still lost weight. Alcohol is just another source of calories, although they tend to be less filling.

For nights out, I try to eat extra healthy during the day making sure I'm maximizing protein and fiber, so I can save calories for the night out and low intensity exercise so I can bank calories for the evening.

Like this weekend, my friends and I are having a very special girl's night out. I preplanned to have 2 cocktails and a glass of wine with 100 calories left over to either put towards popcorn for a snack or if I end up getting some chocolate martini with whipped cream ill move some calories to the cocktail allotment
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    You just have to make room for them in your calorie budget. When I went on vacation last month I just ate maintenance level calories and didnt focus on losing. Wine or liquor and diet soda is lower calorie than a huge fruity cocktail. Some restaurants have "skinny" cocktails now. I love Yard House's skinny margarita.