Mommy and daddy advice please

Options
Ok this is not fitness related but definitely health related lol.

My 3 month old was only waking up one time a night and it was amazing and it spoiled me lol he did it for abt a month but now this past week or so he's started back to waking up 2 or 3 times a night. Nothing has changed in our daily or nightly routine. He's still napping a few times a day and we do bath bottle bed at the same time every night. Any of u mom's and dad's have any advice or tips on this?

Replies

• Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    could be starting teething, my oldest had her first tooth around 3/4 months old. Babies can be funny sometimes, and the first year is pretty much a blur. He probably could cut one of the naps out during the day at this point, try to keep him awake. He still needs a nap or two but maybe not as many at this point. If he isn't in pain or doesn't seem to be distressed I'd chalk it up to growing pains. Hang in there mama. Before you know it he'll be 17 and you'll be dragging him out of bed <3
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Have you started weaning? My son as quite a big baby, was a really good feeder and slept through from 6 weeks. At about 3 months he started waking at night again and my health visitor suggested introducing baby rice - I was breastfeeding and continued with that but the little bit of solid satisfied him more and he started sleeping through again (until he started school but that's another story). He is 27 now and I accept advice might have changed ;)
  • jbrooks3645
    jbrooks3645 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Jadub729 wrote: »
    could be starting teething, my oldest had her first tooth around 3/4 months old. Babies can be funny sometimes, and the first year is pretty much a blur. He probably could cut one of the naps out during the day at this point, try to keep him awake. He still needs a nap or two but maybe not as many at this point. If he isn't in pain or doesn't seem to be distressed I'd chalk it up to growing pains. Hang in there mama. Before you know it he'll be 17 and you'll be dragging him out of bed <3

It's funny that u say teething bec he has been slobbering like crazy wayyy more than my daughter did at this age so maybe he is teething
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I found that during the first year, just as soon as I thought we were settling into a routine something would change again. It could be teething, it could be a mental leap (these are biggies and can really explain changes in behavior and sleeping patterns), it could be a change in sleep or food requirements for your little one. If you can pinpoint what is causing it you might have better luck finding a solution. Is he in your room or in his own?

Good luck and hang in there, it might not feel like it right now but the first year goes by SO fast, you'll be in a great routine before you know it. It does get better, I promise!
  • jbrooks3645
    Options
    Have you started weaning? My son as quite a big baby, was a really good feeder and slept through from 6 weeks. At about 3 months he started waking at night again and my health visitor suggested introducing baby rice - I was breastfeeding and continued with that but the little bit of solid satisfied him more and he started sleeping through again (until he started school but that's another story). He is 27 now and I accept advice might have changed ;)

I'm not breastfeeding but now that u mention it when I get my wic Friday he will be getting that baby rice cereal. I hope that will help him sleep a little better :smile:
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    With babies this young it is hard to say. I found that no matter what routine you get in they change it up on you as soon as you start to get some sleep...or they get sick. Growth spurts can also cause them to wake and be hungrier at night. Don't try to keep your baby from waking and give him/her what they need as far as feeding. You'll find he/she will start to sleep soon enough.
  • jbrooks3645
    Options
    Thanks for the replys yall.
    3 months is too soon to be weaning off breast milk, unless youre making a switch to formula.

and im not certain its old enough for rice cereal..

please check with your pediatrician.

I'm on WIC and in Mississippi they give rice cereal at 3 months they tell u to mix it in with their formula at first
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Babies are master tricksters. As soon as you start feeling a bit smug about a routine they will switch it up. I'm half kidding because of course they don't do this on purpose but remember that they are doing a ton of growing and developing so having periods when things go wonky for a bit is completely normal.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    He’s a baby. They do that. They also go through growth spurts all the time requiring more milk. My older son started sleeping thru the night around 5 months but my younger babe woke up 2-3 times a night for the first year. (Well in fact he still wakes up throughout the night at 2.5 but I don’t always go in there) . I thought of it as some extra bonding time since I work full time and don’t get to be with him all day. Keep in mind a lot of adults don’t even sleep through the night, we just know how to “comfort” ourselves and go back to sleep.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Another article on baby feeding from the American Academy of Pediatrics who suggests not using rice cereal in your formula.

https://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/feeding-nutrition/Pages/Cereal-in-a-Bottle-Solid-Food-Shortcuts-to-Avoid.aspx

https://www.aap.org/en-us/advocacy-and-policy/aap-health-initiatives/HALF-Implementation-Guide/Age-Specific-Content/Pages/Infant-Food-and-Feeding.aspx

I would ask the WIC dietician why they believe that this is a good option for your baby. I ask them to explain their nutrition recommendations for my guy:-)

As for the sleep, teething has already been mentioned as a possible cause. My guy hits a sleep regression every time he approaches a big developmental mile stone. Here is some info on infant sleep regressions and how to move past them:

https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-patterns/sleep-regressions/

The biggest thing that worked for us was getting our guy on a consistent schedule. My guy went from being awake most of the time to waking 3 times per night just by putting him on a schedule. A friend of mine has had success with cry it out aka the Ferber method.
    https://www.babysleepsite.com/tag/the-ferber-method-step-by-step/
    Best of luck to you!
  • jbrooks3645
    Options
    Thanks for the replys yall.
    3 months is too soon to be weaning off breast milk, unless youre making a switch to formula.

and im not certain its old enough for rice cereal..

please check with your pediatrician.

I'm on WIC and in Mississippi they give rice cereal at 3 months they tell u to mix it in with their formula at first

Do you have a link for that advice from your local health authority?

It goes against the world health organisation advice, we now know that it contributes to gastritis deaths.

https://child-nutrition.co.uk/advice/weaning-advice-for-hcps/

The WHO link for you to read.

From 1994 the age range of 4-6 months was considered ideal to begin weaning term infants onto solids (Department of Health 1994). However this was largely mis-interpreted by many Health Care Professional (HCPs) to mean that infants should all begin weaning at 16 weeks of age.

The World Health Organization (WHO) recommended in 2001 that exclusive breastfeeding should continue until 6 months of age to protect infants from morbidity and mortality that is associated with gastroenteritis

Every parent has to decide for themselves but at least educate yourself to the risks. Baby led weaning is something I also recommend you read about.

Idk I may be wrong I haven't got it yet my appt is Friday I was pretty sure they were goin to give baby cereal but its been 6 years since my daughter was a baby so I may be mistaken.
  • jbrooks3645
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    He’s a baby. They do that. They also go through growth spurts all the time requiring more milk. My older son started sleeping thru the night around 5 months but my younger babe woke up 2-3 times a night for the first year. (Well in fact he still wakes up throughout the night at 2.5 but I don’t always go in there) . I thought of it as some extra bonding time since I work full time and don’t get to be with him all day. Keep in mind a lot of adults don’t even sleep through the night, we just know how to “comfort” ourselves and go back to sleep.

O yes lol I'm one of those adults that dnt sleep thru the night anyways.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Have you tried dream feeding? I did that with all three kids and it really helped them sleep through the night and get my wife 6 hrs of unbroken sleep.
  • jbrooks3645
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Have you tried dream feeding? I did that with all three kids and it really helped them sleep through the night and get my wife 6 hrs of unbroken sleep.

I have never heard of that?
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    For your reference: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-patterns/wonder-weeks-chart-baby-toddler-sleep/ The Wonder Weeks books and resources SAVED me. They helped me understand what exactly what was going on with my kids, because those shifts are soooo fast.

What also really helped me was stopping focusing on getting them to sleep through the night as the end goal. The end goal is to make sure they're growing and advancing at the "normal" rate.

If you need to make another bottle, make another bottle. Or start feeding an extra ounce right before bed to see if that helps. But I would counsel you to avoid adding rice cereal into his diet for 1-3 months.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Have a look into developmental leaps
    It's well documented that the first leap is at 4 months. They are learning new skills which can lead them to more unsettled sleep patterns

Just wait until the 1i month leap, lasted a month for us with him waking hourly to feed again

There's an app that you can download that shows you which leaps are coming and what skills they are likely to master after it. It's called wonder weeks
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    1) make sure they're not hungry - did you change their food?
    2) make sure they have a clean diaper
    3) if teething try oragel or something similar (ask your pediatrician)
    4) cry it out method sometimes helps, but 3 months may be a little too early for that. Ask your dr.
    5) Tight swaddle. Tight tight tight. Sometimes tossing the blanket in the dryer first makes a huge difference. Much more cozy!