Should a person continue strength training if he has blood pressure of 130/90?

Options
Male 33

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    On the cusp of elevated to high line.

Was this the result of walking in with the nurse, hopping on the table, and immediately getting BP done?

If so - not a valid test really.

You ever done it at home while actually having time to rest, with a machine that a nurse has confirmed matches there? (that should not take a Dr appointment, just to come in for that. though I'm sure they'll want to charge you sadly)
  • MassarDv
    MassarDv Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yes it was a general check up by the nurse at walk-in clinic . I have not done any self test . I don’t drink and sodium intake is very low . I just hold my breath sometimes while lifting . I have learnt that I need to exhale and inhale more .

Life is always surprising
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well no, that isn't correct either for all lifts.

Taking breath and clamping the core is needed on many lifts to protect your back, before you start the movement.
    Which takes 3-5 sec, then you take another breath, and lock core again.

Trying to breath more while actually moving on lifts is great way to injure yourself.

Where have you looked for info on how to do lifts with proper form - because that's a pretty basic concept?

And besides - doing breath hold properly during lifting isn't really going to have a bearing on your BP when you measure it later when calmed down.
    Now, you walk from a lift over to a nurse and get it done - sure. But wrong time.

If there is some real medical reason (weak blood vessels, hernia, ect) then that is different issue.

• Foxgym
    Foxgym Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Also depends on you reason for lifting, Heavy powerlifting, body building or high rep light weight/bodyweight callisthenics?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MassarDv wrote: »
    Male 33

that's a question for your doctor...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    MassarDv wrote: »
    Male 33

The blood pressure reading you got during your general check up could have been slightly elevated due to various factors.

Anytime you are concerned with things like this its best to get evaluated by your own doctor. I sure would not want people on the internet telling me its okay when there is a chance it might not be.
  • Stew501
    Stew501 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    120/80 is normal, stress increases blood pressure, 130/90 is not alarmingly high or concern for worry IMHO
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    My BP was routinely borderline hypertensive at 130/90 or worse when I was over weight and borderline obese and did not watch what I ate or exercise regularly.

After 2 yrs, during which I lost 42# and kept the weight off by means of diet control, strength trainung and regular exercise, my BP dropped to 110/70, which subtantially improved my health and fitness and reduced my risk of dying from a heart attack or cv disease.

So, anyone w/an elevated BP of 130/90 or worse should definitely continue strength training together w/diet control and other exercise to improve their health and fitness and to reduce their risk of heart attack or cv disease too.
  • MassarDv
    Options
    Thanks all for your suggestions.

I did visit my Family Doctor today and was pretty happy to see some good results . The Doctor conducted 6 round of Bp tests and gave me a average of 117 . So looks like the walk-in clinic was wrong in there assessment especially for a guy like me who takes low sugar and low sodium and very less alcohol ( 2 light beer cans in 45 days ) .Also I have been training over 10 years . Never felt suffocated .

My blood work says I have little high triglycerides due to the carbs and low good cholesterol .
  • MassarDv
    Options
    I m on recomp plan so I guess I need to increase my fat macros from 30 to 40 . I even saw a video from Dr Berg saying high fat diet causes fat loss than high carb diet . I m on recomp plan right now to improve body composition . It’s going good
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    What a relief.

In my country there is a self testing blood pressure machine in every pharmacy. Also a home test machine is not that expensive. It might not hurt to see what your BP is after a lifting session.

White Coat Hypertension is a thing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_coat_hypertension
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,161 Member
    Options
    A one-off BP measurement is pretty much meaningless in terms of saying you have a BP problem. It requires multiple measurements ideally over multiple days to say definitively a person has high blood pressure. This is because various factors can cause an individual reading to be high, sometimes very high. My personal experience was lifting helped reduce my blood pressure over time.