Calorie-Counting Conundrums

Options
Hello!

Question: Should you count oil into your calories? Suppose you fry an egg. Would you log in the egg & the amount of oil you used to fry it?

Thanks!

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Yes, but only because I am highly anal-retentive.
  • dennissara
    Options
    I usually use a spray oil that doesn't have calories, so not in that case. I guess if I used regular oil than I would.
  • erzsebet_1560
    Options
    Yes...oil is really high in calories and fat....
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I do...one tablespoon of olive oil has 100 calories.
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice!
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I would that would be alot of calories that your not calculating. I also use the no calorie non stick spray and the eggs turn out just as good.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it all because some is still in the pan. I have this same quandary when cooking fish in oil. I usually go with about half the oil I originally used distributed evenly (2 fish filets in 2 Tbs oil = 1/2 tbs each filet).
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Question: Should you count oil into your calories? Suppose you fry an egg. Would you log in the egg & the amount of oil you used to fry it?

Thanks!

Yeah, oil is super high cal. Don't fret about things like lemon juice, pepper, mustard etc though.

Also, spray oil has calories too!
  • Kazimira
    Kazimira Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The real question in that would be...how much of that oil are you actually eating. Yeah, you may put 1Tbsp in the pan, but how much actually adheres to the egg so that you eat it? Depending on how I am cooking with it I may track it, but never the full amount that I put into a pan, I'm not treating it like gravy and pouring the remains over my food, it stays in the pan so why should I claim I put it into my body?
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    For something like an egg I'll usually put in like half a teaspoon since that's probably about how much sticks to the egg, but I rarely use oil for that anymore - my cast iron skillet is well-seasoned and almost nothing sticks to it. Bonus: cooking with cast iron will add iron to your food!

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/IronCastIron.htm