I've lost 45 pounds and no one has noticed or commented

Options
Hi, I have somewhat quickly gone from 200 lbs to 155. not one, and I mean not one person seems to have noticed and if they have no one has commented. what gives?

Replies

• joecooler
    joecooler Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congrats and well done. I wouldn't expect anyone but pretty good friends to comment, for anyone else I would assume that they don't want to risk offending. Weight is such a sensitive issue. For close friends ... IDK?
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Congrats. Weight loss or gain makes people uncomfortable sometimes. One of those do I/don't I say something 'things'.

Way to go though!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comments are touchy, as people mentioned. They are a double edged sword for the speaker.. "Oh wow, you look great!" Suggests, maybe you didn't look so good before. "Have you lost weight??" The response could easily be, "I was diagnosed with ________" Close friends, family, those that know I'm trying to lose weight, they notice and comment, but even then they are careful with it and I appreciate that. It means they care about my feelings.
  • b1229
    b1229 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who was really big got cancer and lost a tone of weight due to surgery and nearly not making it at some point and a tone of treatments. When people ask him wow you have lost weight how did you do it the conversation become awkward so sometimes people don't always lose weight by choice and that's why some people may not comment if they do not know you are actively trying to.
    Congrats on your weight loss. :smile:
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    That's weird. I would think people that know you and your health would shower you with compliments. Are you notoriously sensitive and hostile to feedback? lol Congrats on a great achievement!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    myboa wrote: »
    Hi, I have somewhat quickly gone from 200 lbs to 155. not one, and I mean not one person seems to have noticed and if they have no one has commented. what gives?

Commenting on someone's body or weight is pretty taboo. A lot of people can't take a compliment and interpret something like, "hey, you look great...have you lost weight?" to mean, "wow...you used to be a big fat ugly piece of *kitten*."

Just do a search here and how many people hate it when someone comments on their weight loss.

The only people that ever made comments about me losing weight were family members and one other female friend who I hadn't seen in months when I ran into her at the gym.
  • WhiteRose
    WhiteRose Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success! I would be perplexed, too, if nobody mentioned seeing a change. Maybe they don't want to discuss such a sensitive topic as weight, though. I bet you look terrific!!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Send a before and after photo here and we will shower you with everything you need <3:)
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I also say it takes new proper fitting clothes for people to notice. Too big clothes makes you look sickly or sloppy.
  • KatTad77
    KatTad77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Congratz!!
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the others saying get better fitting clothes.

And show us some pics! We'll be your biggest fans <3 Congrats!
  • cjborkowski
    cjborkowski Posts: 181 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I agree that it’s nice to hear how great you look after your hard work!