After work food

Options
CyeRyn
CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
I work 3rd shift. I generally have a very big appetite right after. I also tend to eat junk. I tell myself not to but I want something quick and easy so I can go to sleep ASAP. Thinking of trying a supplement or protein shake. Any suggestions of brands that won’t break the bank? Probably one with protein in it since I lack in that. Thanks in advance. (I will occasionally make myself eggs and toast so this wouldn’t be an every day after work thing. Just on my more exhausting days.)

Replies

• eznowjo
    eznowjo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you have 10 mins, I can give you a really quick recipe for tasty chicken wraps or just a bowl of tasty chicken n veg.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Can you meal prep? That way you have healthy, ready to grab food, and can just eat that instead? I personally would rather eat my calories than drink them. If you are really set on a meal replacement shake, there are tons of great recipes out there. My H eats a pretty healthy diet, but he's a big guy, so we do supplement for him with an occasionally shake. What we do is the following: 1C coconut milk, 1/2 avocado, 1 handful spinach, 2T cocoa powder (sugar free), 1 scoop collagen. Blend until smooth. We use this brand https://www.vitalproteins.com/
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Sloppy Joes? That was what I ate last week. I made a big batch of the sloppy joe mixture and broccoli. To eat I just spoon some sloppy joe on the broccoli and heat in the microwave... takes ~1 min?
    I do this with alot of my foods, this week is it hungarian goulash over broccoli, next week will probably be slow cooker thai peanut chicken stuck in a spring roll wrapper with spinach.

However you dislike eating same thing a couple days in a row, don't have time or want to cook in advance this option won't be sustainable.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Can you batch cook on any of the days when you're not working?

I tend to make a big ol' pot of vegetable curry or chilli occasionally and freeze five portions. Then when I have a busy week, I leave a tub out to defrost and microwave it when I get home.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you want to go the supplement route, I recommend SCI-MX Nutrition PRO V-GAIN PROTEIN, Chocolate or Chocolate Spirutein. They're both vegan protein shakes, full amino profile, and a good vitamin supplement.

I would, however; go for a ton of vegetables.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I would probably play it safe and go for yogurt and fruit if you don't want to spend time on the eggs. I would go for easy to digest foods right before going to bed so that you sleep comfortably and minimize the risk of acid reflux. I worked third shift for a period of time and I remember it was hard on me digestively. Maybe if you do it long enough you grow better accustomed but for me it was thankfully short.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    OP, I hear you. When I was working overnights, if I didn't have an apple with me to eat as soon as I got off, I would find myself making bad choices. Being exhausted is hard enough on the willpower without adding hunger as well

So here's what I did. When I packed my lunch for work, I always packed an extra apple or orange and I literally ate it in the car before driving home. Then when I got home, I had taken the edge off my hunger so I was okay with waiting 5 minutes to microwave a bowl of oatmeal, some leftover soup, a baked potato (topped with canned chili), or something similar. 5 minutes to cook, 10 minutes to eat, and in bed.

Also on the last day of my workweek I treated myself. I'd still have my apple or orange, then stopped in the JITB drive thru on the way home and got a small french fry, if I wanted it. This worked really well the rest of the week because I told myself "I'll have my fries on Sunday, as I planned" if I was tempted to stop at one of the MANY fast food establishments on my way home. Then on Friday I'd have my curly fries. Or if I was too tired, I was just as happy to go straight home, because next Friday was always in the distance.

I know you asked about protein drinks and I'm sorry I don't have any for you as I don't use them, but I hope this helps.

Also, for a high protein meal that doesn't even take 5 minutes, I recommend: 1 can of black beans mixed with 1 can of corn and 3-4 tablespoons of jarred salsa. I usually find I can't finish it, and I am a hearty eater.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    CyeRyn wrote: »
    I work 3rd shift. I generally have a very big appetite right after. I also tend to eat junk. I tell myself not to but I want something quick and easy so I can go to sleep ASAP. Thinking of trying a supplement or protein shake. Any suggestions of brands that won’t break the bank? Probably one with protein in it since I lack in that. Thanks in advance. (I will occasionally make myself eggs and toast so this wouldn’t be an every day after work thing. Just on my more exhausting days.)

I think eggs and toast is a great after work meal when one wants something fast and easy. If you need more calories/protein/fat add cheese and bacon. (We make a package of bacon ahead of time and freeze it.)

You could also meal prep on your days off so you have food ready when you get home.

I have protein (and fat and fiber) shakes for breakfast but they wouldn't work for me before bed due to my tiny bladder.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    another vote for meal prep
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Quesadillas! Keep a bag of tortillas on the counter, to remind yourself. Pre-shredded cheese and some frozen grilled chicken make a great filling. Microwave the chicken pieces for 1 minute while you heat the quesadilla pan. You could even add in some canned beans, spinach and salsa to the filling.

If you really do just want a bar or a shake (or both), I like Clif Builder Bars. About 280 calories with 20g of protein. Or, buy a jar of protein (PES , Dymatize , Quest, Isopure) all make good protein powders with a bunch of flavors. Mix with water or milk depending on your calorie needs.