Macro Help

Options
Hi guys!! I have only recently started watching my macros. For the goals I have set the various calculators I have tried have told me basically this: 40% carbs 40% protein 10% fat. I am pescatarian and am having trouble getting my protein full without surpassing the fat or the carbs. My daily limit is 1400 kcal to lose weight. Does anybody have any tips on meals/foods I can eat that have a decent amount of protein but not so many carbs/fats?
Thank you!!

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Why have you chosen to have your fat so low? Even a "Low Fat" diet has 30% of calories from fat.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Why so much protein and so little fat? Hint, the split you chose, is why you're struggling. Hint 2, a healthy diet is balanced.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Which calculators gave you 10% fat as a goal?

Do at least 0.35g per lb of body weight for fat...
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Aside from shoddy macro math and unsustainably low fat, I'm also wondering what protein sources you're eating that are also bumping up fat/carbs.

Also, the % of macros are only relative to total calories. You could eat 1g of protein, which is
    ~4kcal, and that is considered 100% protein for the day.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely need more fat and less protein and then your protein goal will be easier to attain. Try not to focus on your macros too much, but focus on eating a well balanced diet that meets your caloric needs.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Even further complicating the problem is that your macros only add up to 90%. (40%+40%+10% = 90%)

Here's a useful guide to setting up your macro goals: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

Doh! Good catch :lol:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    vallary14 wrote: »
    Yes, definitely need more fat and less protein and then your protein goal will be easier to attain. Try not to focus on your macros too much, but focus on eating a well balanced diet that meets your caloric needs.
    That's exactly what macro tracking is for, IMO. (But if something can be messed up, it will.)
  • Semele0
    Semele0 Posts: 114 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Aside from shoddy macro math and unsustainably low fat, I'm also wondering what protein sources you're eating that are also bumping up fat/carbs.

Also, the % of macros are only relative to total calories. You could eat 1g of protein, which is
    ~4kcal, and that is considered 100% protein for the day.

Well, that is easy, bein a pescatarian too, protein comes from legumes (that also have carbs), and eggs or cheese (that also have fat), and fish (some fish have fat too). But even so, I never go over with fats, I left the basic split that MFP suggests you at the beginning and I find it very balanced (50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein). Fats are important, and the fats we find naturally in foods are especially good.
    I sometimes go over in carbs, but that is another story, I just love my pasta and bread... :D

PS I've seen the link AnvilHead posted, maybe I should be more 50%-25%-25%...
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Tuna steaks are high protein and low fat, as is white fish such as cod, haddock and sea bass. Although, I do agree with others that you can afford to eat more fat in your diet, but that's up to you!
  • RjMaan
    RjMaan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My advice is to stick with your plan and have balance diet with proper exercises.